Animal Sacrifices

Is the practice of sacrificing animals still allowed in the modern Church? In certain areas in Spain it is customary to hang (!) Galgo dogs from trees to honor (!) Mary after the hunting season.

:confused: It seems to me this rather cruel treatment of animals is contrary to the faith.

Fred

From Hebrews 9 (emphasis added):

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that have come to be, passing through the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made by hands, that is, not belonging to this creation,
12 he entered once for all into the sanctuary, not with the blood of goats and calves but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.
13 For if the blood of goats and bulls and the sprinkling of a heifer’s ashes can sanctify those who are defiled so that their flesh is cleansed,
14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works to worship the living God.

Christ’s one perfect sacrifice permanently did away with the need for anyone to offer animal sacrifice. For a Christian to continue to offer animal sacrifice seems, to me, to be a denial of the efficacy of Christ’s sacrifice.

And yes, I agree that it is wrong to make animals suffer needlessly.

animal sacrifice is not and never has been part of Catholic worship and practice. It sounds like you are describing a cultural practice, not anything endorsed by the church. since you have provided no link I will take this as urban legend until some evidence is forthcoming, but even if it were true, it is not something the Church undertakes. Your agenda for this thread is?

Hi,

I have provided no link since all the websites linking to this horrible practice have graphic images. A quick search on youtube with the term “Galgo” will yield plenty of (terrible) videos.

Since this practice is publicized in some videos as a form Marian devotion, (which I know is utter rubbish) I thought that maybe together we can educate people on this subject. A person stumbling across this kind of practice would obviously be disturbed, and it certainly isn’t good publicity for Catholics, especially since it is not part of Catholicism. I’m sorry if I came across as stating it is a practice sanctioned by the Church, I only meant that , unfortunately, some people think it is.

There is no need to sacrifice animals to God anymore. It was a must in the Old Testament, but the perfect sacrificial lamb (None other than Jesus) was sacrificed so that we can be in friendship wit God again, and not have to sacrifice burnt offerings to please Him.

-Jeanne

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.