Animals at the resurection

Will Animals be resurected at the second coming or will it just be humans? Thanks and God bless.

We will see what happens…

Matt

Greetings Montie,
Take a look at Destefano’s “A Travel Guide to Heaven”. He argues that yes there will be animals and plants there. Here’s the Catholic.com order location:

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-E54200.html?L+scstore+frss1372ff7acf7a+1136635334

I found his book a little too simple, but it does do a good job of reminding us that the resurrection will be a BODILY one.  We won't be wafting around on cloulds. 

Hope to see you there.  Maybe we can go backpacking with Karl Keating there!

In Christ, 
                Mulus

Animals and plants do not have spiritual souls so they will not be in Heaven.

[quote=thistle]Animals and plants do not have spiritual souls so they will not be in Heaven.
[/quote]

It’s a bodily resurrection, Thistle. Heaven is a physical place as well as being the Beatific Vison. In our flesh we shall see HIM. . :dancing:

That implies a physical environment in which to live. So I see no reason to disallow the likelihood that our environment will include plants and animals.

Yep, plants, animals, and even weirder things will be there.

Dear friends

All of the healings and miracles of God in our earthly life are a small fore-taste of the full redemption of the body on the Last Day. Therefore I don’t see why God would not redeem all creatures that He has created as He says ‘it is good’.

Sometimes I think the animals worship God better than humans do.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friends

All of the healings and miracles of God in our earthly life are a small fore-taste of the full redemption of the body on the Last Day. Therefore I don’t see why God would not redeem all creatures that He has created as He says ‘it is good’.

Teresa
[/quote]

Hi Teresa…it is most certainly my very real hope that on the Last Day the whole of creation will be be raised including plants and animals. The Church does state that animals for example do not go to Heaven because they do not have rational souls. I have always found this interesting in the light of I think The Acts of The Apostles where a sheet is lowered from Heaven revealing every kind of animal.

I agree with you here, I think it is entirely wondrous how plants and animals act exactly as God made them to act…and this is the essence of worship. We humans with free will are dogged by sin, faults and imperfections, not so the plant and animal kingdoms.

I remain entirely hopefull that the whole of this incredible creation will rise on the Last Day.

Peace and Blessings to you too Teresa, and a joyous and blessed Christmas to you and all!:slight_smile:

Regards Barb

[quote=springbreeze]Dear friends

Teresa
[/quote]

I agree! I watch my cat fall asleep, not a problem in the world, & I have to feel a little pang of envy, because she is totally at peace, serving God just the way that He intended her to do…

[quote=Reepicheep]It’s a bodily resurrection, Thistle. Heaven is a physical place as well as being the Beatific Vison. In our flesh we shall see HIM. . :dancing:

That implies a physical environment in which to live. So I see no reason to disallow the likelihood that our environment will include plants and animals.
[/quote]

Our bodies will be reunited with our souls. As animals’ souls die when the animals die there are no souls for them to be reunited with. Animals and plants will not be in Heaven.

[quote=thistle]Our bodies will be reunited with our souls. As animals’ souls die when the animals die there are no souls for them to be reunited with. Animals and plants will not be in Heaven.
[/quote]

Dear Thistle

This is your opinion and I respect that, but it is possible for God to ressurect a soul whether material or spiritual if He should choose to do so and there is nothing either in Sacred Scripture nor in Catholic Tradition that would say that this is not possible nor in God’s plan of salvation.

I find Jesus’ use of animals in Sacred Scripture to explain the Good News of Salvation very hopeful of their continued life after death and as Barb references when St Peter saw the vision of animals decending on a sheet from Heaven. The Holy Spirit did not adopt human form but descended from Heaven as a Dove and again at Pentecost as Fire, this is VERY significant.

I agree that there is a special nature to man in that only man is made in the image and likeness of God, but all things that live ‘live and move and have their being in God’ or it would not be possible for any creature to survive were they not sustained in God and His Love. I truly believe that God desires that no single creature that He has created to be lost from Him and live outside of communion from Him, our smaller brothers and sisters have no choice of being lost to Him, they love and worship God by their very existance and nature, but man has been given the choice to give their fiat and as such this is the fullness of love.

When a bird spreads his wings and soars the skies as God created him to do for the benefit of all creation but especially man, then this bird gives of itself without any consent and it is truly worshipping God to it’s full capacity. It does not reason that worship, it merely fulfills it by it’s very existance, thus I cannot see why God would penalise such a creature by annihilating it’s soul after it has lost it’s earthly life, it cannot sin and has committed no wrong. Furthermore animals love by their very nature, they do not reason this love nor analyse it’s depths or value, but they love in their own limited way and truly it cannot be the case that any creature that is capable of love even if it be to only their own kind can be said to live outside of Love as Love has only one source and is only One, God.

I truly believe that God uses creation to reveal Himself to humanity within humanity one human to another as Christ bearers and within the beauty of His creation and the symphony of life He has bestowed upon the earth, therefore if God and His Might, Mercy and Love are revealed in what His hand has created why would he wish to destroy all that in some way (if even in a very limited way) speaks of Him? Personally I don’t think God the Father will, it will be recreated for His Son Christ Jesus at the end of time because all things were created in, through, by and for Christ Jesus. As Jesus said Himself, if even these children do not cry out the very stones will proclaim Him.(paraphrased)

Stewardship has been instilled into man’s nature for the entire of creation and God desires this. If it is so worthless and God would consider destroying it forever then why would He deem that the height of His creation be pre-occupied by stewardship of the natural world and even make it a sin, which potentially could lead to our damnation, to misuse it, I believe the case is that God values it, in some way it reveals and proclaims Him and as such we should value it too and be hopeful of it’s ressurection through the merits of Christ Jesus and the souls that by His grace achieve eternal life.

Teresa

Dear Barb

I too remain hopeful of the re-creation of God’s creation on the Last Day.

Thank you for your Christmas wishes and Barb God Bless you always and a Very Happy and Holy Christmas to you and your loved ones and the Peace of Christ with many graces and blessings for the New year 2006.

Teresa

[quote=springbreeze]Dear Barb

I too remain hopeful of the re-creation of God’s creation on the Last Day.

Thank you for your Christmas wishes and Barb God Bless you always and a Very Happy and Holy Christmas to you and your loved ones and the Peace of Christ with many graces and blessings for the New year 2006.

Teresa
[/quote]

Thank you Teresa…it is good to catch up with you again and to read your Posts which flow with a real gift for the pen and integrity - aside from the thoughts they express and always uplifting…

Regards Barb

Dear friends

Simply everything that is created by it’s very nature of being created partakes in the Creator to a lesser or greater degree and as such is of the Creator to a lesser of greater degree and as the Creator cannot be seperated entirely from that which it creates in the created sense, always something of the Creator is within that which it has created to a lesser or greater degree until that which is created rejects the Creator. Only created man has the ability to reject the Creator, such is the greater degree of the Creator within the created man. Therefore all that is created to a lesser or greater degree that does not reject the Creator eternally partakes in the Creator.

Teresa

The whole of creation reflects the wondrous beauty of God…I cannot conceive that He creates in order to destroy totally. Not only this, St. Paul stated “the WHOLE of creation groans in a common travail, awaiting the arrival of the sons of God” or the Last Day.

I guess the crux of the matter is that one day we will all know for sure whether animals and plants, the whole of creation, is raised. I hope it will be…that is my hope.

Barb

Animals have a type of soul as they are animated by Gods love.However, they being not endowed with reason are different to Mankind.

I have dearly loved my pets and believe that there is a returning to the Divine Goodness how and wherefore I do not know but God is Merciful and Good if only we have Faith in His Wisdom.

Just a thought:

If animals will be there at the judgement, I don’t think I’d like to see every chicken, fish and cow that I ate in my life. I’m very happy with what the CCC says about animals.

in XT.

[quote=Melanie01]Animals have a type of soul as they are animated by Gods love.However, they being not endowed with reason are different to Mankind.

I have dearly loved my pets and believe that there is a returning to the Divine Goodness how and wherefore I do not know but God is Merciful and Good if only we have Faith in His Wisdom.
[/quote]

Animals have a material (mortal) soul which dies when they die. Only humans have a spiritual soul which is immortal.

Yes, animals are God’s creatures but were created for a different reason.

CCC
2416 Animals are God’s creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. **It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons. **

[quote=Montie Claunch]Will Animals be resurected at the second coming or will it just be humans? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Only human souls are eternal. Animal souls cease to exist on their death.

Even though animals have material souls and not spiritual souls and so are not immortal, it is possible that God could reassemble their bodies on the Last Day…

However, whether he will or not is another issue.

St. Thomas Aquinas and the Scholastics believed they would not:

newadvent.org/summa/509100.htm

However, as you can see…some of their theories were perhaps a little quaint…believing in Four Elements of Earth, Water, Air, and Fire…thinking the Sun revolves around the earth and would stop moving at the end of time…nowadays we have a more holistic view of creation…perhaps there will be animals…perhaps not…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.