Animals do have immortal souls

What would a pet look like to us in immaterial heaven?

Great story, thanks for posting this!

Where is the proof that they dont?

Well according to the Saints, there are souls that come back in some form to ask for Masses and prayers from the living to lessen their time in purgatory.

God created pets to keep man company, and to help man. If Catholics and others want to believe this, let them. To continuously argue otherwise with people here I think doesn’t serve anyone.

The prophet Isaiah in the Old Testament had this prophecy of the New Heaven and New Earth, after Jesus has conquered the antichrist and the beast (after the Apocalypse).

‘The lion will lie with the lamb. The wolf will eat grass with the oxen.’

He predicts a world where the animal kingdom will be restored to life and no longer eat each other for food.

Saint Paul says in the New Testament: ‘ALL of creation is groaning in the birth pangs for the New Heaven and New Earth.’

The Book of Revelation describes a New Heaven being placed on a New Earth.

Saint Francis of Assissi believed animals will be in Heaven, and in the New Heaven and New Earth described in Revelation.

In the Old Testament; the Prophet Isaiah predicts about this New Heaven and New Earth:

‘the lion will lie with the lamb. The wolf will eat grass with the oxen.’
(that the animal Kingdom will no longer attack each other for food, or be carnivores anymore).

Jesus Himself says in the Book of Revelation, ‘I am coming soon. Behold I make ALL THINGS new.’

18" I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us.n 19For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God; 20for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it,o in hope 21that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God.p 22We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now;q 23and not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies."

This stuff from Romans tells me that all of creation awaits some sort of freedom and salvation from corruption. I have no idea what that might look like, but it seems to me that “all creation” does indeed include our animal friends somehow.

I personally believe that animal life goes on too.

I like this story: just something I found on the internet several years ago:

“A friend of mine had two dogs and they were the best of friends. One dog died and the other fretted for over a week. The dog was taken for a walk over some fields, there was a clear view ahead and the dog was behaving normally walking to heal. Suddenly she became very still and then started leaping around obviously delighted at something, this went on for 10 minutes, her owner could see nothing. She then stopped, as if she could see something walk away, she gave a single bark, as if she was saying goodbye.”

Not wanting to argue the point, just wanting to share a cool story.

Once again, what will an immaterial animal look like in heaven?

Once from me, what will an immaterial human look like in Heaven?

Twice from me, what will an immaterial angel look like in Heaven?

‘Eye has not seen, what God has prepared for those who love Him.’

Obviously friend we will only see the invisible when we get to the Pearly Gates :slight_smile:

See you on the otherside someday please God :slight_smile:

I think you now get the point.

Buffalo just because you and me cannot describe what an invisible soul looks like, does not mean there is no such thing as an invisible soul.

Back up your arguments from scripture, the catechism, papal quotes or writings of the saints,

What did the Buffalo say to his son?
Bi-son

Does it matter? What will you or I look like it Heaven? What does God look like? What do the angels look like?
It seems strange to me that you can be stuck on this question when, as Catholics, we already accept much that we can’t explain in human terms.

Much as some people seem obsessed with their pets being with them in Heaven they will not be. Animals do not have immortal souls and are not resurrected when they die.
This of course is a separate issue from animals being in the New Heaven and earth at the end of time. Some people seem confused and think this means their pets

The problem is that many people are annoyed by vicious killer dogs ready to attack and bite at any moment. I would like to be able to sleep at night instead of having to listen to these vicious animals barking all night long. I thought that in heaven I would be able to get away from these vicious creatures and get some peace and rest. I am not too happy about being in an afterlife with these vicious attack dogs.

I had a painful surgery and my parents left me alone to rest, little did they know I was awake but unable to move due to everything hooked up to me, unable to speak because of a tube in my throat. They left married with children on the TV. Now I get a panic attack when a hear, see or have the show mentioned. But people have the right to watch it, as dogs have the right to bark.

What will you or I look like it Heaven?

Well we do know that we will have our bodies but they will be glorified.

I would like to believe that I have some right to get some sleep, but I guess not since it is OK for these vicious dogs to bark and keep me awake all night. My health has beengoing down since I have not been able to sleep at night.

You don’t want to talk health to me. I’m currently in the hospital with liver disease. I think you’ll be fine.

I would claim that God loves stars, and rocks and snow. He loves all His Creation. But it does not follow that because God loves that which He created, that He imparts an immortal soul to it.

Humans, among all of creation, are created in the Imagine and Likeness of God. This is not a physical attribute, but a spiritual one. We alone have spiritual souls, and it is in the nature of spirits to be immortal.

The Catholic Church does not teach that animals lack souls. A soul is what distinguishes living matter from dead matter. A animal ( or plant or amoeba) could not be considered to be living if it did not have a soul. But it does not follow from that the souls of animals remain after the death of their body. They are material creatures only.

As much as I would like to see my pets again, I believe that once a pet dies it is gone.

It is within God’s power to bring the animal back to life.

Whether He does or not is a different matter.

May His will be done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.