Animals do have immortal souls

The real answer is that animals have souls, but not the same types of souls as humans. When Rover dies, his soul is recycled and reborn as something new. But our souls are eternal and do not change in this way.

I wonder if God will ask - Why did you love your pet more than Me? I am present in the poor, the suffering, the sick, the dying, etc…

You can have pets and still care for the unfortunate.

They wouldn’t be vicious in Heaven, I’m pretty sure, whatever form they take.

Indeed, but we don’t know exactly what that’s going to look like; doesn’t really matter, I’d say. Similarly, it doesn’t matter HOW God might include all His Creation in the new heavens and the new earth, but there’s enough referenced that I’m pretty convinced He will.

But all of Creation is groaning NOW…that includes the animals already here, which include our pets. It is heavily implied that all of EXISTING creation will have some sort of part to play.

Indeed, but we don’t know exactly what that’s going to look like

I’d would think Jesus’ resurrected body shows us.

but there’s enough referenced that I’m pretty convinced He will.

That it is not a teaching of Jesus and His Church is convincing also.

We are not talking about the end of time and the New Heaven.

We are saying that the Church teaches only humans have an immortal soul.
Like all animals when your pet dies its material soul ceases to exist. It does not go to Heaven.

We’re talking about eternity with God, so yes we are.

Please show in the Catechism where the Church teaches this.

Not all dogs are vicious. Good grief, I’ve been bitten any number of times. And only 2 of those dogs would I consider truly vicious. Get yourself some pepper spray or mace, whichever is legal in your area and carry it with you in case you need it.

Um, your pets aren’t reincarnated. There’s no such thing.

I expect there’s more to your sleepless nights than the barking of dogs. There are plenty of methods and techniques to help people get to sleep. Find one that works for you and get some well deserved sleep.

Read all parts and you will understand.

“BODY AND SOUL BUT TRULY ONE”

CCC 362 The human person, created in the image of God, is a being at once corporeal and spiritual. The biblical account expresses this reality in symbolic language when it affirms that “then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” Man, whole and entire, is therefore willed by God.

CCC 363 In Sacred Scripture the term “soul” often refers to human life or the entire human person. But “soul” also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him, that by which he is most especially in God’s image: “soul” signifies the spiritual principle in man.

CCC 364 The human body shares in the dignity of “the image of God”: it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:

Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day.

CCC 365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the “form” of the body: i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

CCC 366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not “produced” by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.

CCC 367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people “wholly”, with “spirit and soul and body” kept sound and blameless at the Lord’s coming. The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul. “Spirit” signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

None of that speaks to a definitive answer. Many Popes, however, have flat-out stated that the creatures will be with us in some form or fashion, including Pope John Paul II and then Pope Francis in Laudato Si.

Funny, how so many people cling to St. Thomas’ speculation on this matter and ignore the speculation of many very holy men and women since.

It is a definitive answer. Animals have souls but not immortal souls. When your pets die, for example, their souls do not go to Heaven. They cease to exist.

Your comment is about something different. I also believe it is likely that “creatures will be with us in some form or fashion” but that has nothing to do with the topic because that is about the end of time and not now when cats and dogs etc are dying.

Its interesting too that you are simply picking and choosing from what individuals have said about this instead of sticking to what the Church actually teaches.

Again, please show where the Catechism states this.

Please show where the Catechism states this.

Please show where the Catechism states that animals will not go to Heaven.

It doesn’t say anything about the souls of animals, so it’s not relevant.

Yup.

Sure, but neither does it tautologically imply that animals don’t have a part to play in the afterlife.

Maybe so. That still doesn’t mean that our animals don’t have some part to play. God is forever, and we know that He knows even when a sparrow falls. God does not create junk that is thrown away. Everything God creates was done for a purpose, and we have it that all Creation awaits the new heaven and the new earth.

So are many of the Popes then, apparently.

I’m not saying that I can prove they have souls like hours. I’m saying that the evidence suggests we will see them again in some form or fashion. I have no idea how that would be.

A more important point - why would you even look away from God to see an animal in the first place? God will have your complete attention.

I carry a concealed .357 when I ride. Any dangerous, large dog, mountain lion, etc. that attacks me must ipso facto have a lead deficiency.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.