animals

sorry, i know this is probably in the wrong section but i dont’ really know where else to put it

is there a good defense to tell people that you enjoy working with animals?

i volunteer at a pet shelter that takes in stray, abused or abandoned cats, nurses them back to health and puts them up for adoption.

i can’t tell you the number of people who have told me that i’m wasting my time with animals and that only the salvation of souls is important and that i should only work with humans.

but aren’t animals creatures of God too? didn’t God put us in charge of them and therefore we are responsible for their well being?

don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying we can’t eat meat or use fur or anything like that.

but i can’t see anything wrong with helping dogs or cats get adopted. we’re the ones who essentially domesticated them and they mostly enjoy human companionship. isn’t it at least part of our duty to make sure they are safe and not suffering and starving, catching diseases and all those sorts of things?

or keeping species from going extinct or cleaning up the environment so we’re not killing off the wildlife with our pollution.

sorry for the rant, i just relaly don’t like being made to feel guilty by doing certain things that i think is helping the creation as a whole.

any comments?

I give up one day a week to work for free for a (human) charity and I also regularly donate to animal charities.

One of the things I’ve come to realise over the years is that people who care about people tend to be the same sorts of people who care about animals and that people who come out with negative attitudes about caring for animals very rarely do more than lip-service about caring about people.

I’d ask them politely just how much they’ve done to help people and, if the answer is something like ‘I pray for them’, then you know about as much as you need to know.

I hope you aren’t feeling guilty about not helping people. If helping animals is what you are good at, why not use this gift? Who can argue with using the gifts that God gave you?

Taking care of people is much different than taking care of animals. For some people, who have been burdened with difficult human experiences, animals are easier to work with. They shouldn’t be faulted for that.

You should feel proud (in a humble way) of the time you spend with these animals. It reflects a compassionate nature. Yes God made animals for us to “have dominion over.” This does not mean that we should treat them as disposable, dumb, or useless. They warrant our good stewardship and caring for them does that.

For many people a cat or dog may be their only companion. Many nursing homes and hospitals now allow animals to live at the institution. They help decrease depression and anxiety in the elderly and sick. I know for my grandmother, that her little dog (rescued from the pound) gave her hope and kept her from feeling so lonely after grandpa died. It is not that we were absent, but having a little dog or cat to “talk about your woes too” can be psychologically beneficial. Of course we all know that there are many types of service animals, a lot of people who need them, and not least of all dogs that are trained to assist the police in fighting crime.

Animals are an important part of our lives. Don’t let people put you down for it. Ask them to join you.

A story: One time after Mass the choir director was approached by a Parishioner and told that “The only reason she did what she did was to get attention.” (Wow???) The choir director simply took the many music books in her arms and plopped them in this person’s arms while stating: “You can take over any time you want. I will let the office know they have a new choir director.” This person promptly put the books down and walked away. (Just something to think about.)

Critics are all to numerous and seldom manage to provide the same talents they critique in others.

What you do is good in the eyes of God. Why would you think it is wrong? The world will always help humans, in one way or an other but not animals. So you are doing a good deed and what ever people may say, what you do is right. So keep up the good work, God did created all, including animals.

Helping God’s creatures is a noble thing to do. I love animals and care for many on a daily basis. In fact, my husband is out right now in freezing temps and blowing snow feeding and tending our cattle. Our animals needs come before any of our luxuries.

In my thinking, the negative reactions probably come due to the vocal minorities that try to put animals on the same level as humans. I have very negative feelings when I hear names like PETA and HSUS. Many people think that HSUS is the same as their local humane society, which it is not. Caring for animals is what God wants us to do, equating them to humans isn’t.

Animals love unconditionally , people don’t. I help animals, I help people. If anyone questions my aid to animals I inform them their opinion does not matter in the least!

Dear, kind, sweet, generous, humble original poster Angell1… I cannot add anything that has not already been said. (My family and I do similar things for Earth’s creatures, both animal and human-animal.)

Happily continue your volunteer work. You have a heart of gold, and we need more people like you.

Blessings to you! :thumbsup:

What you state is 100% true.

Supporting animal welfare is not the same thing as supporting animal rights.

so, you are saying that you are a good shepherd to God’s smaller and defenseless creatures. i have a small farm so i ask God to make me a better shepherd to his creatures every prayer. Bless you.
maybe whenever anyone says something negative you should remind them of this wonderful saint:

St. Francis of Assisi Lover of all Creation
Prayer for Sick Animals:

Heavenly Father,
you created all things for your glory
and made us stewards of this creature
If it is your will, restore it to health and strength.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
and holy is your name for ever and ever.
Amen

I am a vegetarian who loves animals, and I definitely get where you are coming from. I constantly have to explain to various family members why I do not eat meat. I think a really great response to people about why you volunteer at an animal shelter is this: you are doing it precisely for people. Think about the people who have no one else except their furry friends; animals provide unconditional love to people and bring a smile to strangers’ faces. Not only are you helping abandoned, neglected, or abused animals, but you are also helping people find their beloved pets. God bless you for the work you do!

2416 *Animals *are God’s creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

I’d use scripture…Proverbs 12:10, “The righteous man regards the life of his beast.” Genesis 9, after the flood, it is mentioned five times that “I will make a covenant with you and with all living creatures.”

In the Book of Genesis, God created animals to be our comanions in the Garden of Eden. It seemed to be God’s original idea of paradise.

Animals are wonderful companions to people. For some lonely, and shut ins, they may be the only friend a person has. Some have referred to dogs as “man’s best friend”, because they love more unconditionally. It doesn’t matter whether we are rich, poor, popular, unpopular, sick, healthy, dirty, or clean, animals can love us.

They are a tremendous comfort to the elderly.

They are a superb creation of Our Lord. I simply look at animals and my faith is immediately strengthened as I see the beauty and perfection of life in God’s creatures.

Some people have been given the gift of evangelization, prophecy, interpreting dreams. Others have the skill of caring for God’s creatures.

God went through a lot of trouble with the animals, first to create them. The animals have been there from the beginning even before us! There they were in the Garden of Eden, loaded up on the ark with us, used for our sacrifices, our food, clothing, companionship, work.

What would the world even be without its animals?

St. Francis of Assisi referred to the animals as “brothers” or “sisters”. He once even preached to the birds, telling them to praise God. They broke out into song.

Didn’t a raven once even feed Elijah?

In the Book of Numbers, what about the donkey who was punished for doing good until he finally spoke? He helped save his master!

Further, there are numerous true, real-life stories of how animals help us everyday. Here, in Mexico, we have rescue animals who save people, dig them up out of rubble in earthquakes. There are also seeing eye dogs for the blind. There are some for the deaf who will jump up and down if the phone is ringing. There are ones that pull disabled folks.

There have been true accounts of animals, who, after their owners have died, have laid on the grave, in some cases, for many years, till they ultimately died! Statues have been erected, and people for generations have been inspired by their loyalty.

Animals protect us.

Our relationship after the Fall of Adam was distorted. After that, things were never quite the same, but once when our relationship is restored, we are told that even the lion will eat grass, and they would become our friends, again.

As to common animals who don’t go out saving people’s lives and acting as our eyes or ears, are also wonderful. I live alone and have a cat. There have been times, as a person with a disability, it has felt everyone has rejected me and that animals have sometimes been my only friends! They can be more loyal and love more unconditionally than us people!

So, don’t underestimate the power of an animal. They teach us to love, unconditionally. The Book of Job tells us Job 12: 7-10, “Ask the birds, ask the beasts and they will teach you.”
st-francis-medal.com/st-francis-blessing-of-the-animals.htm

Oh, here’s one more from the Book of Job on animals.

Job 39:19-24
English Standard Version (ESV)
19 “Do you give the horse his might?
Do you clothe his neck with a mane?
20 Do you make him leap like the locust?
His majestic snorting is terrifying.
21 He paws[a] in the valley and exults in his strength;
he goes out to meet the weapons.
22 He laughs at fear and is not dismayed;
he does not turn back from the sword.
23 Upon him rattle the quiver,
the flashing spear, and the javelin.
24 With fierceness and rage he swallows the ground;
he cannot stand still at the sound of the trumpet.

Oh…For Goodness Sake!!!

This drives me crazy!!!:mad:

You are caring for animals that will be adopted and bring some pleasure and comfort to grown ups and children. What’s wrong with that…???

YOU ARE HELPING PEOPLE.

Next time one of those lame-brains tells you that you are wasting your time and you need to work with people to get to Heaven…invite them down to the shelter…and sic the dogs on them.

I concur with all the posters here.

Keep up the great work.

Yes, you are doing valuable work.

Ask your critics if they have ever been to a country where animals are not taken care of? You see dying dogs bleeding in the streets, dogs tied to trees and never taken for walks. Do they think that makes for a more compassionate citizenry?
Doubtful.

If you are wrong (you aren’t IMO) then God was wrong in creating animals and putting them in our care. Just ask the ones that say you are wasthing your time with animals if St. Francis was wrong. :smiley: :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.