Anime/manga anyone?

I used to think people who were into anime and manga were nerds, but then I discovered that most of these stories are really very good.
I have yet to read any manga yet, but I’ve seen some series that look interesting.
I was wandering anyone here likes anime/manga?
So far my favorite anime movies are the studio ghibli movies. I love Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflys.

You really can’t go wrong with Miyazaki. Nothing objectionable in any of his work so far.

I’m also fond of Rurouni Kenshin, a classic tale of good versus evil (at least up to Vol. 17), and Hikaru no Go, an unassuming manga about a board game, featuring elegant artwork, dramatic conflicts, and likeable characters, even though the cultural context is not Catholic.

As for Yuu Yuu Hakusho, the anime is better, but the manga isn’t bad. The artwork is a little heavier and more stolid than Kenshin or Go.

I could go on but someone would probably hit me with a baseball bat.

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s a bit overwhelming going into the manga section of the book store, there must be over 1000 books in that section!

Ooo! What store is that? :smiley:

Barnes and Noble.

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s!! It has a Marxist theme to it as one of the main issues is class differences.

anyone delve into the Manga Bible (reviewed in St. Anthony messenger this month)

You do crack me up. Ganbatte.

Have you watched it?

For example, start watching starting at 3:00:

youtube.com/watch?v=0_S5LmeISpc

And Jack Atlus, not Jesus, is the King!!

A spatula would be much better (anime reference for those who don’t get it). :smiley:

Wait…Grave of the Fireflies? You actually liked something that has caused many people to become depressed for a week or more?–>referring this one to the thread starter

Favourites…well, Neon Genesis Evangelion, obviously. Rurouni Kenshin, Vision of Escaflowne, Oh! My Goddess!, Dragon Half, Flame of Recca…I could probably go on and on about the many anime I’ve seen over the years. Right now I’m following Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge–very loopy and has a morbid sense of humour.

This IS a Catholic board–I daresay most of us believe Jesus is still King.

But other anime or manga worth looking at:

Maison Ikkoku
S-CRY-ed (but steer FAAAAR clear of the manga in this case; it’s vile and disgusting).
Dot-hack-sign

Do you even watch 5D’s? GX was mostly a waste of time (especially the first, and most of the second season.) I thought 5D’s would be even worse, but I was interested in it when I saw the second episode (as it illustrated a class struggle). And I like Jack Atlus-sama too.

In my opinion, Yusei Fudo is a much better protagonist than Jaden Yuki.

Yeah, I have a thing for depressing movies. Some of my favorite movies are Schindler’s List and The Pianist. I don’t watch them on a regular basis, but I like movies that are truely moving.

I caught some of GX on the CN—I just couldn’t get into it. Probably would have liked it somewhat better in Japanese. :smiley:

I watched the first episode on Cartoon Network… it was absolutely unbearable. The first Japanese episodes of GX were mediocre (but they were not bad) and the apogee of the series occurred in the third seasons (episode 148 was the best episode of the entire series).

Why did I say Jaden Yuki? I meant to say Judai Yuki.

Greetings fellow Catholic otaku! :wave:

Though I confess, out of all the anime fans here, I’m probably the most guilt-ridden. :o

I happen to be a big anime fan, i haven’t seen any of the Movies you mentioned above, i did see Princess Mononoke but it was entirely in Japanese with no english subs…so i guess that doesn’t count…

My favourite anime series that i’ve been following are Naruto, Bleach, Rosario + Vampire, and Trinity Blood.

Rosario + Vampire is about a ‘vampire’ whose evil is only supressed by the power of the Rosary she wears around her neck…

Trinity Blood takes place some time in the future, about 500 years after an apocalyptic war between all of the nations, which almost destroys all of humanity. In this futuristic world, the Roman Catholic Church has become a major military power. Their goals include the protection of humanity against the vampires, who apparently have been waging war upon the “Terrans” or humans.

Obviously these two are all fantasy stories, but i love the message it sends 1. That the Holy Rosary has the Power to defend against evil, and 2. The Catholic Church will survive and reign till the end of time…:thumbsup:

suddenly rushes past wearing a pair ATs

Whoohoo!! Finally, Air Gear Chapter 215 is out!

jumps

I’m flying on the Wings of Freedom!! 8D

suddenly realizes that he just revealed something he didn’t intend to

Oops… :o

Why are you the most guilt ridden? I’ve watched a few anime series lately that I’m sure most catholics wouldn’t approve of.

Well let’s just say I’m half-fanboy if you know what I mean. :blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.