Anime Thread #2

Continuing on the from the last thread.

Come one, come all. This thread is for anybody who traverses the crazy realms of anime pop culture. Everything from mecha and mahou shoujo to Japanese video games and manga, feel free to discuss them all here!

Subbed.

The only anime I'm watching this season is Kaiji S2. Oh and Ao No Exorcist. Oh. And Deadman Wonderland but that finished a while back, was very good though. Hoping Ao No Exorcist turns out to be awesome, it's good so far.

I'm currently watching FAR too many shows at the same time. -_-

But if anyone wants to see a good example of self-sacrificing Christian love (though it's not a Christian anime by any means) then take a look at the actions of Syoran in Tsubasa: The Reservoir Chronicles.

Syoran LOVES Sakura so much that when she loses her memories (in the form of feathers with mysterious powers), he vows to find all her feathers and return her memories to her, even though, if he succeeds, she won't ever remember him. The hunt for the feathers is filled with mortal peril at the hands of various enemies.

He willingly goes through the pain of watching and hearing her talk about her memories, knowing that he has been erased from them.

I have a few 'other' problems with this particular anime, but Syoran's character is worth a thousand lukewarm homilies about self-sacrifice.

I've been loving "Stein's Gate" and enjoying "Tiger and Bunny"...but "Stein's Gate" is the show I could ramble on an on about.

DH and I are waiting with baited breath for the Type-Moon 10th Anniversary special "Carnival Phantasm" to become watchable (someone pleeeease license eet!)....and Shinryaku!? Ika Musume. :D

Also I decided to finally read One Piece.

I've always loved Macross. Anything Mecha or Ninja for me..
Proud moment last Halloween, my daughter (5) wanted to be Sailor Moon. Only costume we were able to get was custom made shipped from Hong Kong, but well worth it. Second proud moment, this past May, we attended the anime Convention in Chicago and of course she wanted to dress up again, and most likely will happen again next month at AWA in Atlanta.

[quote="Z_Ninja, post:5, topic:252647"]
Proud moment last Halloween, my daughter (5) wanted to be Sailor Moon. Only costume we were able to get was custom made shipped from Hong Kong, but well worth it. Second proud moment, this past May, we attended the anime Convention in Chicago and of course she wanted to dress up again, and most likely will happen again next month at AWA in Atlanta.

[/quote]

Ahh, Macross. I wish they would get the legal issues sorted out so that they could bring Macross Frontier to the U.S. The soundtracks are no problem, I own every album. I really love the songs! :)

agreed, i saw some screenshots of Macross Frontier and it looks amazing. I really liked Macross Zero as well.

Robotech just doesn't cut it, I saw the Shadow Chronicles. it was alright, but lacking. I'm partly excited about the live action Robotech movie that's in pre-production, but weary due to the legal issues that would warrant a complete re-imagining of the story line.

[/quote]

I will have to keep an eye out. DH and I are planning to go to AWA as well as long as my OB greenlights the trip. As excited as I am for the baby this will very likely be our last AWA for a long time due to the distance (possibly ever if our AMV friends stop attending during our hiatus) so I really hope it happens.

If I dress up at all, I'm going to be a very occupied Pokeball. ;)

Well as for me, I've seen too many anime and read too many manga series to count. XD
Now this may speak poorly of my taste, but I'm a huge follower of the mainstream shounen. I've been keeping up with Naruto. I'm a big fan of Fairy Tail. I've also been slowly reading up on old series like Flame of Recca and Rave Master.

On the other hand, my more personalized taste are a bit er... awkward, obscure, and eccentric. >_<;; I have this strange attraction towards harem anime like Love Hina (even though half the time I face-palm at how the male leads are hopeless losers -.- ). I guess it's the mix of comedy and romance that gets me.

Counterbalancing that though is my preference for seinen titles. I particularly like those with really dark atmospheres. It's why I've been constantly on the look out for the manga version of IWGP.

P.S.

I've been looking ravenously for fantasy anime titles though like Rune Soldier and Mahou Sensei Negima. If there's anything I actually love more than shounen, it's your typical fantasy adventure. Hmm... maybe I should finally go give Slayers a look... :hmmm:

[/quote]

Be careful now, your little girl might end up getting chosen my some bejeweled, little trinket and she starts transforming into her own sparkly mahou shoujo to fight a sudden surge in Satan's minions. :p

Now if you'll excuse me, Imma revert back to my fantasy mood so I can finish my fic lest I be tempted to neglect it and pursue the mahou-shoujo x tokusatsu plot bunny that's been constantly nagging me. >w<;;

I'm watching Toradora and Nichijou.

Blessings !!!

:)

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:10, topic:252647"]
Be careful now, your little girl might end up getting chosen my some bejeweled, little trinket and she starts transforming into her own sparkly mahou shoujo to fight a sudden surge in Satan's minions. :p

[/quote]

LOL, she used to watch a whole bunch of youtube videos of the sailor scout transformations, and this other anime, i can't remember the name off the top of my head.So, I will certainly keep an eye out for sudden urges to battle evil minions and if she starts wearing strange medallions or bracelets that give her super powers.

[quote="Z_Ninja, post:12, topic:252647"]
LOL, she used to watch a whole bunch of youtube videos of the sailor scout transformations, and this other anime, i can't remember the name off the top of my head.So, I will certainly keep an eye out for sudden urges to battle evil minions and if she starts wearing strange medallions or bracelets that give her super powers.

[/quote]

Indeed... oh and make sure to keep an eye on new arrivals in the neighborhood. Chances are they have a bishoujo who might end up as her rival and bears similar forms of self-transforming jewelry. :whacky:

On the bright side (and so that I'll temporary satisfy my urge in the hopes of staving it off :p), you can always hope that around the same time, the powers of plot might grant you a weird belt that'll give you the more manly version of Japanese superhero transformations.

I can't forget about my son, who will not have the transforming powers, but maybe a bio-booster armor suit or other such costume he wears and is able to show up just as my daughter and her team are about to lose the battle. He distracts the enemy long enough for them to regain their strength and defeat the evil one.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:9, topic:252647"]

I've been looking ravenously for fantasy anime titles though like Rune Soldier and Mahou Sensei Negima. If there's anything I actually love more than shounen, it's your typical fantasy adventure. Hmm... maybe I should finally go give Slayers a look... :hmmm:

[/quote]

Maybe? Maybe?! My God man, have you really not seen Slayers?!

Put down what you're doing and go find it. Now.

[quote="Hastrman, post:15, topic:252647"]
Maybe? Maybe?! My God man, have you really not seen Slayers?!

Put down what you're doing and go find it. Now.

[/quote]

Nope. I'm sorry!!! Please don't hurl a giant fireball of doom at me!! ToT (Yes I finally saw the first episode.)

[quote="Kit15, post:4, topic:252647"]
I've been loving "Stein's Gate" and enjoying "Tiger and Bunny"...but "Stein's Gate" is the show I could ramble on an on about.

DH and I are waiting with baited breath for the Type-Moon 10th Anniversary special "Carnival Phantasm" to become watchable (someone pleeeease license eet!)....and Shinryaku!? Ika Musume. :D

Also I decided to finally read One Piece.

[/quote]

Actually Tiger and Bunny is the one I can ramble on about, but then, I'm also a superhero-comics fan (DC, not Marvel, because I'm a grownup).

And Shinryaku?! Ika Musume needs to get licensed, if it's not already, it's hilarious. Why is there like a genre of people plotting conquest, who are really bad at it—Ika Musume, Keroro Gunsou, Invader ZIM, Pinky and the Brain. Oh, and Excel Saga.

One Piece is the manga that has filler arcs, just fair warning. The thing helped Jump sell so well they basically asked him to pad it out.

Okay, so I'm a fan of anime and all but I have a complaint.

Why do they always completely mess up our theology? :shrug: Haha. Seems like you see priests in a lot of anime in varying formsand usually the priest is totally and completely unpriestly.

Granted I haven't watched most of these shows. When I see a priest on the cover or when pops up in the introduction I pass on by because inconsistent, faulty theology irritates me too much to get lost in the otherwise fantasy world.

Anybody seen the show named Priest? It was based off a Korean comic series. I'm curious about the series now, in all honesty, but I'm leery. Anybody read it? Would you recommend it?

[quote="nickybr38, post:18, topic:252647"]
Why do they always completely mess up our theology? :shrug: Haha. Seems like you see priests in a lot of anime in varying formsand usually the priest is totally and completely unpriestly.

[/quote]

I think in Arakawa Under the Bridge there was a "nun" who was actually this enormous burly guy with a penchant for spraying machine-gun fire everywhere during Mass. It was weird. And hilarious.

[quote="nickybr38, post:18, topic:252647"]

[/quote]

They're no worse than the West's fumblefisted portrayal of Buddhism. Which is not a defense—I'm by no means "pro-idiot"—but that's basically all it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.