anne the locutionist

anyone knows if this is valid? i have the volumes, but no imprimatur and nihil obstat is indicated.

need more info than this, title, full name of visionary, dates etc.

ok

directionforourtimes.com

[quote=fin]anyone knows if this is valid? i have the volumes, but no imprimatur and nihil obstat is indicated.
[/quote]

They are not yet approved by the Church.
Permission to publish has only been given by Anne’s bishop. This is stated in each volume.
Also stated is that all volumes have been submitted to the Holy See for the Nihil Obstat and the Imprimateur but that has not yet been granted.

if this person had permission from her bishop to publish a facsimile of his permission would be on the website. submitting publications to the Vatican for approval does not indicate approval has been granted, in any case, it is not for the individual to submit the works, but her bishop.

personally I would not waste time on it, when we have many valuable spiritual guides on similar topics by the saints.

12 volumes - wow, quite an output, Francis de Sales and St Therese were able to put there wisdom in one book.

[quote=puzzleannie]12 volumes - wow, quite an output, Francis de Sales and St Therese were able to put there wisdom in one book.
[/quote]

And St. Theresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross were not. Wow.

[quote=puzzleannie]if this person had permission from her bishop to publish a facsimile of his permission would be on the website. submitting publications to the Vatican for approval does not indicate approval has been granted, in any case, it is not for the individual to submit the works, but her bishop.

personally I would not waste time on it, when we have many valuable spiritual guides on similar topics by the saints.

12 volumes - wow, quite an output, Francis de Sales and St Therese were able to put there wisdom in one book.
[/quote]

The facsimile of the bishop’s permission is in each volume. Its from Archbishop Philip Hannan, Retired Archbishop of New Orleans, President of FOCUS Worldwide Network (I’m not sure what that is).
There doesn’t appear to be anything in the volumes that contradict Church doctrine (albeit I’m not an expert) but somehow I can’t get comfortable yet with what is written. What concerns me a bit is that these “messages” started shortly after “Anne” came back inspired from a pilgimage to Medjegorie. Medjegorie has been declared non-supernatural by the three commissions headed by bishops.
Also in the Lay Apostle newspaper Direction for our Times she has a question and answer section in which somebody asked if only Catholics can be a lay apostle. She said non-Catholics can become lay apostles and if their Christian community does not have Confession then that is an obligation they don’t have to carry out. That seems odd to me as a Catholic because Confession is a very important sacrament.

“Personally I would not waste time on it, when we have many valuable spiritual guides on similar topics by the saints.”

You think we should shut our minds to what may be new and inspirational material? Wow. With that kind of thinking, you’d never read anything beyond the Bible.

God still speaks to us everyday in many ways. Including through newly published books and literature. Keep reading…who knows what you might learn. :slight_smile:

“Medjegorie has been declared non-supernatural by the three commissions headed by bishops.”

Sorry, but that is not true. Better do some more research on the commissions of bishops who looked at Medjugorje. They did NOT declare the apparitions as “non-supernatural.” The 1991 Bishops Commission said “On the basis of investigations up till now it cannot be established that one is dealing with supernatural apparitions and revelations.”

This statement does not mean that there is no apparition, but only that it is not yet “established” or proven. In other words, they left the door wide open. Here’s a link for more detailed info: medjugorje.org/faq.htm#no16.

Three years later, the bishops issued this final statement:
“We bishops, after a three-year-long commission study accept Medjugorje as a holy place, as a shrine. This means that we have nothing against it if someone venerates the Mother of God in a manner also in agreement with the teaching and belief of the Church. . . Therefore, we are leaving that to further study. The Church does not hurry.” (Glas Koncila, August 15, 1993).

General Reminder:

This discussion has strayed from its original topic of the validity of Anne the Locutionist’s writings.

Please return to the original topic under discussion.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Catherine,
the discussion turned to Medjugorje when a poster intimated she had doubts about the validity of Anne’s writings because Anne had been to Medjugorje. The poster said Medjugorje was not approved by the church. I corrected that assumption on her part.

You make me feel like you are slapping me on the hands for your comment. Are you a former nun?

I’ve read some of these messages posted on another forum; in my opinion they are certainly not authentic.

Unity Publishing has posted a couple new articles on “Anne, a Lay Apostle”, revealing her identity…

I’ve read her books and heard her speak in person at a Catholic Church here in Louisville, KY. Her spiritual director, a priest appointed by her bishop, traveled with her.

She seemed very genuine and I thought the information in her books contained a lot of wisdom - whether you believe that the messages are from Jesus or not. I find no contradiction to Church teachings.

In speaking and in writing, she doesn’t claim to be a saint and willingly shares her weaknesses and Jesus’ responses to her weaknesses. Both seem very credible.

I like her!

I am an old lady and my time is limited so I prefer to spend my time on approved spiritual reading, prayer and scripture. God’s revelation is closed, and has been since the death of the last apostle. Yes, many saints and spiritual writers have added to the Church’s treasury of spiritual writing and wisdom, and understanding of that Revelation, and their works have stood the test of time, usually after a long period of testing and even opposition by the Church until their value was proven. The alleged locutions discussed in OP and the link have not yet passed those tests. When they do, wake me up and I will think about it.

In addition to Archbishop Hannan (retired) of New Orleans, and “Anne’s” Bishop, Bishop Leo O’Reilly (Bishop of Kilmore, Ireland), “Anne’s” messages are endorsed by Sr. Breige McKenna (who’s been featured on EWTN), Fr. Kevin Scallon, Fr Bill McCartney and Mark Miravalle, (writing his approval as a Professor of Theology and Mariology at the Franciscan University of Steubenville).

Needless to say, this is quite the list of “who’s who” in the Orthodox Catholic movement. Don’t be so quick to dismiss this.

I, myself also saw “Anne” (she remains anonymous) in Louisville. She is the real deal, see for yourself, at:

directionforourtimes.com

I go to one one of these Lay Apostle Prayer Meetings as prescribed by “Anne” once a month. I too have heard from the coordinator that they are approved by a bishop. I have some of her books and it has an Imprimatur from a Filipino bishop and a priest works with her full time.

Nothing on the website linked here gives any indication the alleged locutions have received approval by the local bishop, whoever that may be, so until that happens there is no reason for me to read or consider them.- The primary purpose of the website is to sell the books and devotional materials, nothing wrong with that per se, but why should I choose those unproven books to proven reliable spiritual reading already tested, approved and beneficial. If she is authentic, her messages will merely restate existing doctrine and practice, albeit perhaps more poetically or forcefully or appealingly. If she is stating something new and different, that would be proof she is not authentic.

You don’t say what has been approved by a Bishop. A Bishop cannot approve private revelations. Only the Church can do that and these private revelations have not been approved.

As for the Imprimatur by a Filipino Bishop I doubt that. I live in Manila (capital of the Philippines) and my sister-in-law recently bought all 10 volumes and there is NO Imprimatur by anyone.

In my volume, Heaven Speaks to Young People as given to the mystic “Anne”, it says the imprimatur is by Bishop Frederico O. Escaler S.J. Prelature of Ipil, Zamboanga se Sur, Philippines. However, I don’t think its on any of the other volumes I think.

As to it’s approval, that was what I was told personally by someone in the Lay Apostle group so I just put that in my note. They also said this Lay Apostle movement was popular in the Philippines.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.