Annointing of the sick

Recently went to a scheduled healing Mass service where the priest could not make it because of illness. In lieu of the Mass there was a Eucharistic service by a lay person. During the Eucharistic service the lay person also got the blessed oils and blessed each of the sick with a short prayer of healing. I wasn’t sure if this was proper and as such decided to skip the blessing by the lay person. Did I do the proper thing or should I have gone up and also received the oil in the hand and received a healing prayer from this person?

There is blessed oil that is used for healing prayer, not to be confused with the oil used for the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick.

The oil for the Anointing of the Sick is blessed at the Chrism Mass every year.

In using sacramentals, the non-ordained faithful should ensure that these are in no way regarded as sacraments whose administration is proper and exclusive to the Bishop and to the priest. Since they are not priests, in no instance may the non-ordained perform anointings either with the Oil of the Sick or any other oil.

Article 9, §1 vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/laity/documents/rc_con_interdic_doc_15081997_en.html
(emphasis added)

The Supreme Pontiff, in Audience of the 13th of August 1997 approved in forma specifica this present Instruction and ordered its promulgation.

Thank you for that information, Father. Now it is clear to me that they should not use any other oil.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.