Announcements in Mass

When is it deemed
appropriate to make parish announcements during Mass? I was trained that they should never occur within the Mass as they interrupt the flow…rather to be done before Mass begins. Help on this would be appreciated :slight_smile:

From the GIRM:

D) The Concluding Rites

1. To the Concluding Rites belong the following:

a) brief announcements, should they be necessary;

b) the Priest’s Greeting and Blessing, which on certain days and occasions is expanded and expressed by the Prayer over the People or another more solemn formula;

c) the Dismissal of the people by the Deacon or the Priest, so that each may go back to doing good works, praising and blessing God;

d) the kissing of the altar by the Priest and the Deacon, followed by a profound bow to the altar by the Priest, the Deacon, and the other ministers.

Announcements at my Parish are made prior to the Priest entering the Sanctuary. We have about a 5 minute soft instrumental prelude while people are still entering and getting coats off, etc… then any announcements not in the previous week’s bulletin or which need to be shared, such as the death of a parish member, or a special collection coming up. A few minutes later we start with the Opening Hymn and the Processional. If Father has any announcements to make of his own, he does so at the end of Mass prior to the Recessional.

This is exactly how it is done in our parish as well. I have gone to parishes that do it after communion but I personally find that way distracting.

Before and after both have their problems. Before and the late commers miss the announcements. After the people who leave after receiving Holy Communion miss them. :confused:

Well, the Announcement we make prior to the Processional Hymn comes only about 3 - 5 minutes prior to the start of the Processional, so most people are already there. When the Priest is a bit late getting started though, because so many are late due to bad roads and snow, a lot of them do miss them, but it’s not normally a problem.

at my parish announcements are made before the blessing at the end of the mass after communion. It kills the flow of the mass, it really does but again its right before the end so I Guess it doesnt matter that much:)

It is understandable that circumstances could keep some folks from getting to Mass on time. My guess is that’s why the GIRM states they should be at the end. If people are leaving early from Mass, then shame on them. But then they likely don’t really care anyway or they would stay for the final blessing.

At my parish we follow the GIRM where IF there are any announcements, they are very very brief and at the end right before the final blessing.

Thank you all for your swift responses - much appreciated!

A few thoughts…

As others have mentioned, it is preferable that any announcement not interrupt the flow of the mass. That means a few things.

a) It can be done at the very beginning but that is problematic because it defeats the goal of disseminating information, as people are not there.
b) Following communion. However, it should be noted that the General Instruction of the Roman Missal places announcements following the communion prayer, not before. Ideally the announcements would then fit between the communion prayer and the dismal “The Lord be With you…” In many parishes this is not done for the sake of convenience (standing for the prayer and then sitting for announcements) .

Peace,
Fr. Ryan
www.fatherryanhigdon.com

It always annoys me when the Communion Rite is interrupted by announcements. I don’t see why we can’t just stay standing after the Prayer after Communion, listen to the announcements and then have the Final Blessing and Dismissal. It’s not as though it takes an hour.

Our pastor jokes that Mass is not “official” if there isn’t at least one announcement prior to the final blessing :smiley:

You’re a big fan of standing, we get that. :slight_smile:

I agree with your sentiments, though. And now that a lot of parishes have websites and bulletins, announcements can be brief and reference those websites and bulletins. Regular ten minute announcements can only encourage early leaving in the future.

Interestingly, growing up before the VII changes announcements were made at the time of the homily.

My guess (and that’s all it is) about announcements before Mass is related to the Catholic habit of leaving immediately after communion - you get better coverage with an announcement before Mass missing the late-comers, but the number of late-comers is much smaller than early-leavers. :smiley:

Unfortunately true ! The section nearest the door is empty before the last Blessing at our Parish Vigil Mass. Don’t know why they leave so early. One couple, elderly and handicapped arrives almost an hour early and is gone 2 minutes after receiving Communion, while the Communion line is still going ! I’d rather they came 1/2 hour later and stay until the Blessing. That’s another reason we do announcements prior to Mass – about 1/3 of the people are GONE by the time Communion ends!

FWIW, the IGMR/GIRM doesn’t apply in the EF, so small announcements are made right after the vernacular epistle and gospel readings. AFAIK before VII (and perhaps before 1970), the homily was considered to be a break in the Mass.

We used to have them at the very beginning of Mass (before the priest would process up the aisle) and now, with a new pastor, we have them immediately after Holy Communion which I find very distracting as well as the second collections that are taken at the same time.

That may seem fine to you, but their needs should be taken into consideration first. If they are elderly and handicapped they probably need extra time to get to their vehicle without getting caught in a rush of parishoners which makes it more difficult to move about, and any handicapped person can tell you that falls and injury are a real concern. The fact that they come 1 hour early is probably just for this reason–to avoid the crowds and maneuver in safety. The fact that they come so early tells me they really want to be in church, or they wouldn’t bother.

Not everyone leaving after Communion is just in a rush to get out of church and avoid the hassle in the parking lot. I have seen many people with walkers and wheelchairs leave early so they can avoid being bowled over by the rest of the congregation, avoid getting caught in the church doors, etc. I would be leaving early, too, for safety’s sake.

As for the announcements–you can’t make everybody happy. They do the best they can. It is a small thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.