Announcements while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed?

I just got back from Mass and this question occurred to me as it has many times before. It is just a question. I’m don’t want to start an argument here, I probably will though.

Why does the priest get up and announce the notices after communion, when Mass isn’t even over and the Blessed Sacrament is still exposed? I have seen this done in every church where I have ever attended the OF so I know it is not something peculiar to my parish church. Though, as I have said before, until recently I had not attended all that many OF Masses.

The general answer to this, which most priests agree on, is they must be done some time, doing them before or after mass won’t do, as many have not yet arrived or already left, and doing them after the homily or before the blessing is the only possible solution. The blessed sacrament is not usually exposed at this juncture, however.

:thinking:

Are you sure the blessed sacrament is still exposed? Our announcements happen before mass, but Father usually says a few additional things after communion. However, the blessed sacrament has already been returned to the tarbernacle or consumed and all vessels have been cleaned by that time.

The Blessed Sacrament should not be exposed before or after Communion. The prescribed time for announcements is after Communion and before the final blessing.

The GIRM actually allows for announcements after the Prayer after Communion, but before the final dismissal.

“During the Concluding Rites, announcements may be made (if necessary) after the Prayer after Communion.”

Not sure what your problem is.

It is left exposed on the altar with the tabernacle open. The Extraordinary Ministers are given the hosts directly after the announcements.

Maybe in the other churches I mentioned, it is not exposed but in my parish it is definitely.

As I have said several times now, I am new to the OF.

I have also said that I don’t want an argument but I am only asking a genuine question. Why are the announcements here … it seems quite strange.

I am not familiar with this “GIRM” of which you speak (though I have seen it referenced on CAF). Presumably its an acronym.

General Instruction of the Roman Missal
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/

So its the OF version of Fortescue?

perhaps Jesus wants to know whats going on in His church and His community too!

It’s a question you’ll need to ask your pastor, because the answer is “they aren’t”. If announcements are being made in your parish at that time, they are not being done correctly.

The General Instructions of the Roman Missal (GIRM) indicate where announcements go, and it’s not where they are being done in your parish.

That’s why our ushers are 6 footers…nobody leaves early! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Seriously, do you think those who leave early really care about the announcements? Yep, I’m cynical

It’s sad, but at least they are making some effort…

Our parish now does the announcements immediately before Mass. True, some people will not be there. But even if you did it right after communion some people will have left. I think the way our parish does it is good.

I would think after communion means after all the vessels are put away and after the period of silence following communion has finished.

I would also prefer such a solution, so as not to disturb the sanctity of the mass. Just trying to explain to the OP why most priests do it the way they do.

We used to have announcements after communion and before the final blessing. Having experienced both I definitely think the before Mass option is better. The announcements tend to be done more reverently before Mass.

Oh, absolutely! I’d also rather not have Father talk to us about financial records just after the eucharistic miracle.

Yeah in our parish when we have the bishops appeal they play a video in place of the homily. As a former Protestant it is still better than our yearly stewardship campaign which lasted several weeks.

That’s totally illicit. One of the most shocking liturgical abuses I’ve heard about. Never seen it before (thank God,) but I’d immediately talk to my pastor if this happened. Actually, even anyone else than the celebrant deliering the homily is illicit. And I’ve even seen that at an EF mass. May be differently regulated though.

If so it is the least of the abuses I encounter.

Well, it certainly doesn’t seem like much. The way it flagrantly contradicts the rubrics troubles me deeply though. I agree there are worse things that could happen. Like recorded music during hymns. Never experienced that either, thankfully.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.