Annoyance of Pure Belief vs. Pure Disbelief

If this isn’t in the right forum, please accept my humble apologies, as I am new and trying not to do anything to annoy anyone. ::bow::

I’m Roman Catholic (Latin Rites, for clarification). I’m a happy Catholic.

Atheism makes no sense in light of the Big Bang, the wonder of nature, mathematics, and scientific discoveries.

Protestantism doesn’t jive with me since they started out as Catholics who were protesting corruption in the church (which is what happens in all large-scale organizations where there’s nobody around to keep three eyes on all the back-woods guys), and to distance themselves from the “corrupt Catholics,” most of them made up doctrines that were totally opposit what was originally taught. Prior to Martin Luther, 99% of all religious people in Europe were Catholic, as that was the Church. People who say otherwise weren’t taught under a bunch of agnostic profs at the Master’s level at their University.

Other religions are based on mythology, not historical, documented fact, and they come right out and admit that. We can pinpoint Jesus Christ at a certian time in a certian place doing certain things, and with notations outside the Bible talking about him.

I have rational faith. That is, I believe that the Catholic Faith is the only rational way to think. I love God, enjoy His world, and think that Heaven will be a blast.

And yet I am constantly plagued with doubts, which drives me crazy, and this is why:

I believe, but some part of me is terrified to think otherwise, that there is no God. It’s like free-falling and being told there’s a net under you going to catch you, and you’ll be fine, but all the while on the way down you’re bracing for impact because some part of you is terrified that the net won’t be there.

If there’s no God, there’s no life after death, there’s no justice in the world, no purpose, no beauty, nothing important, and everything is so much ash.

And I’m angry because no matter how much I belive or how deeply I feel love for Him, I will turn around and have superstitious doubts - I’m scared of aliens from other planets because I read one crack-pot a long time ago saying that a general on his death bed confessed he had contact with aliens that were aware there was no God, and that the only reason nobody revealed it was they didn’t want to throw the world into a panic.

Odd, that he’d be making this confession on his death bed. If there’s no God, why would he? I mean, what’s the point of a confession if it doesn’t mean anything in the ultimate?

See, there’s the logical part of my brain doing battle with the part of me that seizes up in fear.

Sorry, just that I haven’t got many Catholic friends around here - I made most of my friends in high school and they’re die-hard pagans (I love 'em and pray for 'em, but I fear I’m not the proper example to get them to convert), and trying to explain my fears to them doesn’t jive, and I don’t really have that close a relationship with the priest at my church.

How can I believe and doubt so much at the same time? And it’s not even doubt based on, “You know, if there’s no afterlife, that means there’s no hell, so I can get away with whatever I want in this life!” It’s, “God, I hope you’re there, I hope there’s a hell, and I hope that there’s justice in the world.”

Because everything is wonderful as long as He’s there, and it’s not if He’s not.

One last thing and then I’ll shut up. Am I the only person who thinks that hell is ultimately better than anilhation? (I know I didn’t spell it right but it’s 1:11 am, I’m tired, and my spelling dictionary is not in easy reach.)

Prayer is the answer.

Mark 9:24

Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!”

So the good general ratted out our nation’s most top secrets. May he burn in hell for doing that! And did he also leak out that part of the record about when the alien died the alien confessed on his death bed that he was an atheist outcast from his own home planet and his “holier than thou” fellows marooned him on earth to experience the Good and Evil of earth as his punishment? I bet the general never told that part of the story did he?

kidding

I have never understood why people are more willing to place more faith and creedance in the lies of extraterrestrial strangers than they do in our own kind and the words of the God we know. It kind of reminds me of the story of Adam and Eve and the indignation I imagine God felt when Eve took the advise of a perfect stranger (the serpent) after God had already given them the beauty of a perfect life, the paradise of the Garden of Eden, every good thing and His friendship.

Old Generals never die - I’m afraid they just smell that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

James

Dont be concerned

What did Stephen see? Stephen was a very devout Christian. filled with the Holy Spirit. While being stoned and dying he looked up and saw the Holy Throne. Then he asked for forgiveness of his killers.

Acts 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”

In Acts disciples saw Jesus and then Ascend, “Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight”.

Then when OUR King Jesus said “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen

Sooner or Later a Person who hears these words in their heart have to decide if this is the true script or not. You either believe without seeing or you go with some other person who may even wear a uniform and have stature among men, like a high up Soldier.

I remember Our King and Our Lord’s words in scripture that say "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Now for me and My house we shall serve our Lord Jesus Christ the Everlasting Father, King, High Priest and morning Star.

Not some foolish words that come from anything but my Father in Heaven.

thistle:

//Prayer is the answer.

Mark 9:24

Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!”//

Believe me, this has become my constant prayer. Fortunately there are times when I know God has taken me by the hand and is baby-walking me through a bad situation. I feel a little silly, but at least I know He’s happy helping me over the rough spots.

CentralFLJames:

See, you can tell just how ridiculous my fears are, just by what they’re based on. But I still have this hateful superstition of aliens. It’s a shame, because I’m a smart person 99% of the time. Then again, if a former astronaut can claim he’s got privelaged info about alien contact, then I guess anyone can have irrational brain lapses.

CKP0208:

//Sooner or Later a Person who hears these words in their heart have to decide if this is the true script or not. You either believe without seeing or you go with some other person who may even wear a uniform and have stature among men, like a high up Soldier.

Now for me and My house we shall serve our Lord Jesus Christ the Everlasting Father, King, High Priest and morning Star.

Not some foolish words that come from anything but my Father in Heaven.//

The worst part about being plagued by foolish doubt is that it’s so easy to believe without seeing. There’s nothing hard about it - the Law is laid out in a logical manner, the history is there to study and enjoy, the Resurrection makes perfect sense, there’s plenty of evidence for anyone who takes even a cursory look. It’s not all that hard to believe without seeing. Kinda like believing in France. Plenty of evidence. Makes me want to kick myself when I do suffer from doubts.

I know I suffer from major depression (I sink low, then gradually get back to normal), and that has something to do with my troubles, but it’s still annoying. Thanks for being a sympathetic ear.

On a more serious note, I would not be so self critical. You are introspective and are over analyzing yourself. I recognize it because I do the same thing. You are also probably a perfectionist aren’t you? Welcome to the club. You must guard against scrupulosity and self doubt. We must trust that if we want to be saved then God WILL save us and reveal Himself to us in ways that are relevant and reassuring to us. There will always be doubt and occasions where we will be uncertain or confused. Resist the urge to panic and especially to despair. When you have a sudden spike of random doubt take a breath, be calm and just quietly pray a short personal prayer asking God to come to your aid. Turn every transient doubt and every temptation as an opportunity to reaffirm you faith, your hope and to offer a prayer to God. We are all under spiritual warfare. Turn every attack into an appeal to God to intercede. Learn to laugh at the predictable nature of doubt and recognize it for what it is - useless except to push us closer to God.

God Bless,
James

CentralFLJames:

I am a perfectionist in one respect - I want to not do stupid things that embarass me or make me seem ridiculous, and I can be very hard on myself when I make mistakes. That’s why having doubts upsets me so much. If I were a better person, I sometimes think, I wouldn’t have any doubths.

Naturally, that’s ridiculous. I find a lot of comfort in reading the works of Dean Koontz, a Roman Catholic who always puts a strong note of hope and faith in his writings - his main characters frequently come under such extreme circumstances that their faith can waver, but such wavering leads them to greater faith. I suspect he models most of his heroes after characters in the Bible.

Anyway, I know that’s just fiction, but it leads in the right direction. Thanks so much for your kind words. It does help.

Tabs

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.