Annual confession

I know that the Church’s requirement for confession of mortal sins at least once a year is a discipline as opposed to a doctrine but can anyone tell me when it was instituted?

My understanding is that the requirement isn't for Reconciliation, per se. Rather, the requirement is one of the precepts of the Church: Catholics are required to receive the Eucharist during the Easter season. To do so, of course, one must be in a state of grace; that is, one must not be in a state of mortal sin.

Therefore, in order to receive the Eucharist with proper disposition, Catholics who are -- or might be -- in a state of mortal sin should participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. At least once a year, in order to receive the Eucharist during the Easter season.

Make sense?

In 1215 the Fourth Council of the Lateran made it canon law that every Catholic Christian goes to confession in his parish at least once a year.

I got this from Wikipedia, you can look it up on there, just search for Sacrament of Reconciliation. Hope this helps. God Bless.

[quote="Gorgias, post:2, topic:319802"]
My understanding is that the requirement isn't for Reconciliation, per se. Rather, the requirement is one of the precepts of the Church: Catholics are required to receive the Eucharist during the Easter season. To do so, of course, one must be in a state of grace; that is, one must not be in a state of mortal sin.

Therefore, in order to receive the Eucharist with proper disposition, Catholics who are -- or might be -- in a state of mortal sin should participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. At least once a year, in order to receive the Eucharist during the Easter season.

Make sense?

[/quote]

What you say about receiving the Eucharistic is correct but I believe that it's also a precept of the church to confess your sins if you are in a state of mortal sin. I could be wrong about that.

[quote="Gfyuwatr7, post:3, topic:319802"]
In 1215 the Fourth Council of the Lateran made it canon law that every Catholic Christian goes to confession in his parish at least once a year.

I got this from Wikipedia, you can look it up on there, just search for Sacrament of Reconciliation. Hope this helps. God Bless.

[/quote]

Thanks

[quote="garysibio, post:1, topic:319802"]
I know that the Church's requirement for confession of mortal sins at least once a year is a discipline as opposed to a doctrine

[/quote]

In fact, it's a commandment or precept of the Church binding under pain of mortal sin! :o

[quote="Gfyuwatr7, post:3, topic:319802"]

[/quote]

The current sacramental discipline of the Latin Church applies to grave sin.
CIC Canon 989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least once a year.
The eastern Catholic churches have a stricter discipline.
CCEO Canon 719 Anyone who is aware of serious sin is to receive the sacrament of penance as soon as possible; it is strongly recommended to all the Christian faithful that they receive this sacrament frequently especially during the times of fasts and penance observed in their own Church sui iuris.

[quote="Vico, post:7, topic:319802"]
The current sacramental discipline of the Latin Church applies to grave sin.
CIC Canon 989 After having reached the age of discretion, each member of the faithful is obliged to confess faithfully his or her grave sins at least once a year.
The eastern Catholic churches have a stricter discipline.
CCEO Canon 719 Anyone who is aware of serious sin is to receive the sacrament of penance as soon as possible; it is strongly recommended to all the Christian faithful that they receive this sacrament frequently especially during the times of fasts and penance observed in their own Church sui iuris.

[/quote]

In some Eastern Churches monthly confession is the norm for anyone that partakes weekly of the Eucharist. If we don't have mortal sins, then we confess our venial ones.

[quote="Zekariya, post:8, topic:319802"]
In some Eastern Churches monthly confession is the norm for anyone that partakes weekly of the Eucharist. If we don't have mortal sins, then we confess our venial ones.

[/quote]

That's awesome :thumbsup:

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.