Annual survey finds that fewer Americans view the Bible as sacred [CC]

An annual survey conducted by the Barna Group and the American Bible Society has found that increasing numbers of Americans view the Bible as "just another book."19% of survey …

More…

If you believe it is sacred it places upon you a responsibility to act in a faithful way to follow Christ. In our very secular world, pleasure is “the thing”. As more people choose pleasure, they will deny Scripture. It makes them waaaaaaay too uncomfortable.

:frowning:

Sad to say, too many these days don’t believe much of ANYTHING is sacred.:shrug:

U aren’t denying that Christ’s teaching are sacred if you recognize the entire Bible isn’t. Just read some of the Old Testament books which are nothing more than historical documents about what was going on at the time.
AJ

How sad.

Bible scholar Bart Ehrman relates how he would ask his students if they believed that Bible was the inspired word of God. Typically, almost all would raise their hands. Then he’d ask how many had actually read it cover to cover and almost no one would raise their hands.

The more I read and learn about it, the more sacred I think it is.

If I accept your premise that some books are “nothing more than historical documents about what was going on at the time”, how does that make them any less sacred?

We understand the scriptures in part by knowing the culture at the time of the event. There are passages throughout the Bible that are fully understood only when we know the beliefs and values of the people recording the information. The fact that the Israelites wandered through the desert for 40 years is essential to understanding who they become as a people. Their experience of persecution tells us about the intensity of their faith.If you see these stories and events as mere history you are missing much of the message.

Perhaps you are confusing Truth and truth. There are hundreds of stories in the bible which are full of incorrect historical details. But the Truth that they are meant to convey is so much greater than the inerrancy of their details. They develop for us a knowledge of God. We learn about His love for Israel. We see His majesty and power. We experience His mercy. Even the Gospels contain factual errors. Some events are said to have occurred at one place or time, but the facts are not true. Does this diminish the Truth or Sacred Dimension of the Gospels?

The Catholic Church did not just gather up documents of the time and put them into the Bible. It was a very slow and deliberative process by which the Fathers of the Church decided which books were actually inspired by God and are therefore Sacred. The Church has told us that we are to believe that each of the books of the Canon are a true manifestation of God. We don’t get to believe in some books and not believe in others.

CCC vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a3.htm

134** All Sacred Scripture is but one book, and this one book is Christ, “because all divine Scripture speaks of Christ, and all divine Scripture is fulfilled in Christ”** (Hugh of St. Victor, De arca Noe 2,8:PL 176,642: cf. ibid. 2,9:PL 176,642-643).

135 “The Sacred Scriptures contain the Word of God and, because they are inspired, they are truly the Word of God” (DV 24).

The Old Testament

121 The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value,92 for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.

122 Indeed, "the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men."93 "Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional,"94 the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings "are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way."95

123 Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism).

For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."70

The fundy internet atheist “literal interpretation or worthless” hermeneutic seems to be growing in popularity. I wonder what the poll numbers would be if you asked the same people about some trendy eastern texts like the Tao Te Ching or the Gita. I’d imagine they’d call those very sacred, as long as it’s not western it’s cool.

The results are not surprising, given the increasing secularization of American culture. However, the magnitude of the decline is surprising

19% of survey respondents described the Bible as “just another book of teachings written by men that contains stories and advice”-- up from 10% in 2011.

On the other hand, 79% believe that the Bible is sacred-- down from 86% in 2011”

The old testament is very sacred.
We have the creation of the world.
We have God’s promise the world would never again be destroyed by a flood. We have God"s covenant with the Jewish people.
God, Jessus and the holy spirit are very much alive in the old testament in the history and the lives of the people.
Since society is becoming so secular and human life is devalued it does not surprise me that more people today do not view the Bible as sacred. Popular culture finds it fashionable to make fun of christians and christianity.

Here is an interesting post I got from Catholic Answers advertising a book that talks about this very subject.

Why our children are becoming atheists
Reply ▼
Delete More ▼

8:08 AM
Catholic Answers
Show details

Atheism is on the rise. The Faith is not being properly passed on to younger generations. There is a need now more than ever for resources to help Catholics answer atheist charges. Catholic Answers recently discussed with apologist, author, and speaker Trent Horn the growing trend toward atheism.
Q. Research seems to show that the majority of atheists (more than 55 percent) are younger than 35. Can you think of any reason why this age group seems to be particularly impacted?
A. Every generation seeks to defy authority. What makes the youngest generation so different from past generations is how well connected they are through the Internet. This connectivity has allowed young people to organize around their unbelief and reinforce it through social media platforms like blogging and YouTube. It’s also very well represented. For example, the popular website redditt has a Catholic “subreddit” with about 5,000 subscribers and a Christian subreddit with 50,000 subscribers. But the atheism subredditt has more than 1.4 million subscribers.
This is why Catholic Answers has worked hard to expand our Internet outreach and will continue to proclaim the Faith in this way in order to reach this important audience.

That is sad to hear, but I truly think this is due to many young people today not paying much attention to it, because they think Jesus is something that happened 1000s of years ago and cannot have much impact or relevance in their lives in the modern world, this will only get worse too imo.

We are not going to have some major christian revival without some kind of supernatural event…I think if Jesus did something similar to back when he came the first time, traveled around, healing and speaking, performing miracles, etc. there would be a HUGE revival and probably millions would become christians during this time, just needs a little kick start.

However, even Jesus himself said in Luke 16:31 …“neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.” Owing to that, there might NOT be a revival the result of some spectacular thing. Jesus came to save souls, not for a big show

No, Many people would be convinced if they saw people rising from the dead with their own two eyes.I KNOW I would FOR SURE, so Jesus was wrong about that, this is proven because I admit I would be convinced if this happens, no 2 ways about it!!

People have to believe, have faith in and follow the teachings in order for their soul to be saved though, so what would be the harm in showing people what Jesus/ God can do, Jesus did this in biblical time in many different cities and locations, so its not that they have an issue with showing people their powers, its a matter of it happening SOOO long ago, people today dont think its relevant today, this should tell God he needs to do something more in order for more to be saved. imo anyway.

But, Mikekle,

After Jesus said this, HE DIED and HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD! Many people in Jerusalem saw Him after He rose and yet, THEY DID NOT BELIEVE!

Jesus was sent first to the Jews, but within a few years of His death they were already sending missionaries to the Gentiles because the Jews refused to believe EVEN WHAT THEY SAW!

Why should Gid have to prove Himself to us? He did not even have to create us! He did not have to provide such a magnificent world and universe for us to live in.He owes us NOTHING. We owe Him EVERYTHING,

God is the greater being. He is the Almighty One. Respect flows from us to Him. Not the other way around. We must prove our love to Him. Not the other way around.

God wants us to have FAITH. Faith means believing in what you cannot see. It means accepting the scriptures and being willing to trust in what they say even when you don’t quite understand.

What more “should” God do? He sent the prophets, the judges and the kings. He sent the Flood, the Plagues and the Ten Commandments. Then He sent His Only Begotten Son to suffer, die and rise! Shouldn’t that be enough?

Maybe Jesus came a “long time ago”, but each of us has our own imminent judgement in the near (too near?) future. As far as I’m concerned that mskes faith PLENTY relevant for me! I HATE HOT WEATHER!

This is the damage done by the denial of divine revelation,religious relativism,the teaching of comparative religion,and Bible scholars who explain scripture according to the anthropological view.

YES! I agree 100%!

Right! That’s a funny anecdote he gives.

And then he tells the students, “You’re telling me that God wrote a book. Well…if God wrote a book…wouldn’t you want to know what He had to say!!!”

This is not the only reason fewer Americans view the bible as sacred. I don’t think it’s a reason at all, to be honest.
Many people today are able to study with top scholars in Universities the steps of how the books were written, translated, transcribed, gathered and decided upon in the first few centuries and from the facts in front of them, they then simply see the canon as a man-made endeavour.
Nothing to do with “pleasure” or discomfort.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.