annulement

I had a question about annulments. I understand that it is very difficult to get an annulment unless for some reason the marriage was never valid. What I am wondering is if someone marries in the Catholic Church someone that is a non-catholic and who is not baptized would they be able to annul the marriage if they decided to. To my understanding you can get dispensation to marry someone who is not catholic in a catholic church but then your marriage is not considered a sacrament, does this mean that since it is not a sacrament then it can be annulled? :confused:

When you are married in a Catholic church, it is always a sacrament. That is the purpose of getting a dispensation. Therefore it stands to reason then you would require to get an annulment if there is a possibility that you wish to remarry after a civil divorce.
familyministries.org/divorce.htm If you would like to know more about annulments, please check out this link

[quote=nem]I had a question about annulments. I understand that it is very difficult to get an annulment unless for some reason the marriage was never valid. What I am wondering is if someone marries in the Catholic Church someone that is a non-catholic and who is not baptized would they be able to annul the marriage if they decided to. To my understanding you can get dispensation to marry someone who is not catholic in a catholic church but then your marriage is not considered a sacrament, does this mean that since it is not a sacrament then it can be annulled? :confused:
[/quote]

A Marriage is not rendered Null or made Null. It is investigated and can be found to have been Null from the beginning. If this is the case a Decree of Nullity is issued. Or it can be found to have been valid from the beginning. In which case it is indisolvable until the death of one of the spouses.

[quote=stbruno]When you are married in a Catholic church, it is always a sacrament. That is the purpose of getting a dispensation. Therefore it stands to reason then you would require to get an annulment if there is a possibility that you wish to remarry after a civil divorce.
familyministries.org/divorce.htm If you would like to know more about annulments, please check out this link
[/quote]

A Sacramental Marriage requires that both persons be validly Baptized. But being Sacramental or not has no direct bearing on the validity. A Marriage must be valid to be Sacramental, however a Marriage does not need to be Sacramental to be valid.

**2.6.11 Marriage to a Member of a Non-Christian Religion **

Marriages between a Catholic and a member of a non-Christian religion (e.g., Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and Mormon) are often called “interreligious” or “interfaith” marriages. The canonical term “disparity of cult” refers to a marriage between a Catholic and an unbaptized person.

Interfaith marriages vary greatly, due to the great diversity in non-Christian religions. A few distinctions to keep in mind: Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are called “Abrahamic religions” because they share belief in the same one God and claim Abraham as their spiritual father. These religions have a very different worldview than religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism.

The Catholic Church does not encourage such marriages, and declares the difference of religion to be a diriment impediment. To be valid, a dispensation has to be obtained for such a marriage (see Canon 1086).

Note also that in cases where a baptism is not recognized, the procedure for non-Christian marriages should be followed.
To read more about it click on this link:
familyministries.org/www.inthespiritofcana.org/2.6.11.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.