Annullment and how long did it take you?

Has anyone been granted an annullment in a case of abuse or emotional neglect and if so how long did it take? Thanks

What happens after the wedding are not grounds for annulments. They could be good grounds to separate, of course, but not for annulment.
Only the circumstances prior to the marriage will determine if a marriage entered into was valid or not.

no one has been granted an annulment strictly on grounds of anything that occured after the marriage, even abuse or neglect. The issue in that judgement is the validity of the marriage at the time it was contracted. there are several annulment threads that go into detail on those grounds, the time the proceeding usually takes (not less than 6 months, 12-18 months being about average, much longer for complicated cases), and also great links to answer these questions, search on annulment.

However circumstances that arise during the marriage, or become evident after marriage, and that figure in the divorce, may very well shed light on the state of mind, intention and capacity of one or both parties, areas that would affect validity. That is why it is important to complete the interviews properly and give such details.

Well my husband was raised by 2 alcoholics. Very disfunctional family, he was neglected emotionally and physically. No real love or affection. His sister is now an alcoholic and his brother is gay. He brought all these issues into our marriage.

Here is cannon laws you may fall under.

Grave lack of discretionary judgment concerning essential matrimonial rights and duties (Canon 1095, 20)

You or your spouse was affected by some serious circumstances or factors that made you unable to judge or evaluate either the decision to marry or the ability to create a true marital relationship.

I’m using this one in my case for the fact that I married at 18 after only knowing the person 4 months and also coming from a disfunctional home.I am told this is usually a slam dunk case.Also depends if spouse contests or responds at all.Mine is in its 9 month mark.Probably 6 months more to go.18 months is the average with a sucess rate of about 90 percent.My tribunal advocate has been doing it for 15 or so years and has yet to have one denied.Hope this helps

landru.i-link-2.net/shnyves/grounds_annul.htm#grounds

Here is a link containing the grounds for annulment.Consulting your tribunal advocate also would help.

You shouldn’t be advising someone to choose particular grounds because you think it will be a slam dunk.
Annulments are not easy and nor should they.

the parties in the annulment do not decide the grounds, the tribunal does that on the basis of its investigation. the best thing to do is contact your parish priest immediately and begin the process, Make sure he or the deacon gives you assistance in completing the application. Provide all the requested paperwork original marriage cert, divorce decree, baptismal certs, anything else requested. S

tart now to put together a list of all the witnesses you can think of who can attest to all the facts and conditions that pertained at the time of your marriage–names and contact info.
the longest part of the proceedings is the interviews with the witnesses, and the single most common reason for delays is difficulty contacting them. You do not have to personally confront or talk to any of the witnesses, the tribunal does that, so don’t let that reluctance stop you from providing witnesses.

the process is like any legal proceeding, it takes as long as it takes, there are regular procedures to follow, it involves many people, much coordination, and a legal deliberation. It is not a slam dunk, ever, no matter how convincing we may think the evidence is.

You will get more help from your parish than from the forums at this point, we will be praying for you.

From the time I turned my finished paperwork in to the date I recived my official notice was about 8 months.

To actually get it in your hands is bittersweet :gopray2: I was happy at the future but sad as at a death :frowning: I cried

Hi all,

I was married in a ‘Church of England’ church and I am now divorced. If I converted to becoming a Catholic (which I’m seriously considering doing), would it be be possible to ever re-marry (a Catholic lady of course) and it considered to be ‘valid’ to the ‘Catholic Church’?

3 months - from the initial interview at the Tribunal to my final decree. I think that is not a typical time line though.

Part of the Key is to make sure your witnesses are prompt in sending back their responses.

Plus my ex decided not to participate and had no witnesses holding up the process.

Please start a new discussion for this, and prior to doing so, do a search for all the discussions here on annulments, you answer is in there, it just needs to be researched.

~Liza

I did a search prior to posting and could not find the answer but I will endeavour to determine the answer from somewhere.

Thanks

I wasn’t advising her of anything just giving an example for her own information.The statistics speak for themselves if you are willing to go through the headache 9 out of 10 is prety good odds.Nothing wrong with giving hope where there is hope.

What is your source that shows 90% of annulment applications have a successful outcome with the granting of an annulment.
Frankly I don’t believe that figure.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I think were on the same side.The person doing my annulment has been doing them for many years and her herself has never had one single case denied.She has stated though that the numbers here in the seattle diocese have about a 90 percent nullity rate.She also said that number could be low because cases often are resubmitted with success.I’m not sure why the hostility towards the subject but frankly if someone wants to believe the church denies most annulments it won’t hurt my feeling a bit.

Catholic Annulment Statistics:
“For the year 2002: of the 56,236 ordinary hearings for a declaration of
nullity, 46,092 received an affirmative sentence. Of these, 343 were handed
out in Africa, 676 in Oceania, 1,562 in Asia, 8,855 in Europe and 36,656 in
America, of which 30,968 in North America and 5,688 in Central and South
America.”

From “PRESENTATION OF INSTRUCTION ABOUT NORMS IN MARRIAGE CASES”, VATICAN CITY, FEB 8, 2005 (VIS), posted at
vatican.va/news_services/press/vis/dinamiche/a0_en.htm

This is straight form the Catholic almanac,Ok actually 82 percent wordwide but us wide maybe the statistics posible could be higher.

Last two posts highlight the point we have made many times before here: it is useless and frustrating and even dangerous to try to compare your case with anyone else. To even ask the question “how long did yours take?” is valueless.

1. every marriage situation is unique
  2. every marriage is considered valid until proven otherwise
  3. no one can make a judgement except the tribunal because they are the only ones in possession of all the facts and all the testimony. Even the parties do not see the witness statements, although they do get a summary report of the findings.
  4. every diocese has different procedures, different resources and these are always limited. But there is a definite canon law process that must be followed and cannot be short-cut, to protect the sacrament, to defend the marriage bond and to protect the parties.
    5.there will be a mandatory appeal to the archdiocese and there is often a backlog there because of the great volume of cases
  5. the most common reason for delay is that the party who files the petition does not give complete and accurate information, and the delays because of waiting for response from witnesses
  6. the process can be immensely healing if you allow God’s grace to work in it
  7. a discussion of specific cases here is worse than useless, because there is no way all the facts can be presented, so comparisons will only lead to resentment, bitterness and frustration
  8. the fast track is to see your parish priest right away and don’t waste time on it here.

One last thing, the Canon Law Tribunal is just that a court of law, on all canon law issues not just marriage and its purpose is to protect the rights of every lay person and clergyman under canon law. The reforms of the annulment process were instituted precisely because the Vatican determined canon law rights were being denied unduly in many countries. Every Catholic has the right to petition their case in the tribunal and to criticize them for following the guidance of Mother Church is cruel and unpastoral, theologically incorrect, and at worse, dissent of the worst kind.

The OP specifically asked if anyone has ever been granted based on abuse.The tribunal specifically asks the question of abuse because abuse in the marriage often is a key to maybe something was missing from the start.Your right she needs to start the process form ground zero but she asked the question.I’ve been through the process for similar reasons.I guess every response to every question on this whole discussion board could be answered the same.See your priest.Well whats the point of this board.

what is the point in giving the false impression, one, that the abuse that occurred after the marriage is grounds for annulment or two, telling her about 10 people who got their annulment in 6, 9, 18 24, or 36 months, in different dioceses? how is that going to help her?

This post in its entirity deserves Sticky status, in my opinion. Brava!

I checked the Vatican linkyou gave but its about Holy Thursday. Can’t see anything about marriage cases.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.