Annulment for Non-Catholic

I have a friend who may be considering entering the Catholic Church. He was Baptized in the Episcopalian church, and left due to general agnosticism.

Later in life, he married a Catholic woman, in a Catholic (Latin rite) marriage. They divorced within two years. No annulment.

In recent months he has had an adult return to Christ. We converse on Catholic doctrines, and I want to present the correct procedure for him to come into communion with the church.

Does a non-Catholic need an annulment from a Catholic marriage, to become a Catholic in full communion with the church? As a non-believer at the time (although validly baptized), was he morally culpable in his marriage vows/sacrament. If he becomes a Catholic (on his own free will of course), is there any possiblity he can ever be validly (in eyes of the Church) married again?

I appreciate any response.

[quote=Hibernian]I have a friend who may be considering entering the Catholic Church. He was Baptized in the Episcopalian church, and left due to general agnosticism.

Later in life, he married a Catholic woman, in a Catholic (Latin rite) marriage. They divorced within two years. No annulment.

In recent months he has had an adult return to Christ. We converse on Catholic doctrines, and I want to present the correct procedure for him to come into communion with the church.

Does a non-Catholic need an annulment from a Catholic marriage, to become a Catholic in full communion with the church? As a non-believer at the time (although validly baptized), was he morally culpable in his marriage vows/sacrament. If he becomes a Catholic (on his own free will of course), is there any possiblity he can ever be validly (in eyes of the Church) married again?

I appreciate any response.
[/quote]

He’ll need an annulment if he wishes to marry again. Only a marriage tribunal can determine his culpability. There are no guarantees in the annulment process. I’d encourage him to enter the Church and seek an annulment. The worst that could happen is that his request for an annulment is denied. The best that could happen is that he will be a member of the “one true Church”. Like JP II said. “Be not afraid”.

[quote=Hibernian]I have a friend who may be considering entering the Catholic Church. He was Baptized in the Episcopalian church, and left due to general agnosticism.

[/quote]

The Marriage and divorce (without an attempted re-marriage) would not present any problem with him entering the Church through the RCIA type process. IF he ever decided to re-mary he would have to have the prior marriage looked into and resolved. Which might be decided that it was valid and he cannot enter into another Marriage until the death of his first wife.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.