Annulment/Marriage priest responsibility

I don’t know what to think about this.

My friend’s fiancé petitioned for a decree of nullity and it was granted – first instance. It’s still making its way through the court of second instance.

They had scheduled their wedding for New Year’s Eve; when it became obvious that he wouldn’t have the final decree, they made arrangements for a civil wedding.

Now, the priest who did the work on the annulment at this end is going to the civil ceremony, blessing the rings and saying a prayer. He’s cancelling the scheduled Feast of Mary, Mother of God Mass to do so. I don’t care if he cancels the Mass since there is one on the Feast itself, but what is he saying by his actions?!

Am I completely out to lunch in thinking that he’s participating in and condoning an invalid marriage?

Not so much an invalid marriage as a total non-marriage.

I’m sure the priest will remind the couple that, if they are unable to avoid living together after the civil ceremony, they must do so ‘as brother and sister’ unless a Catholic marriage ceremony is able to take place after a postitive Second Instance decision.

You may be able to fool everyone else, but you can’t fool God. Your friends are fools, the priest is a fool, and so is anyone who condones this “marriage” by their attendance.

You should let your friends know that what they are doing is wrong, and then let it go. Bigger idiots they could not be. Don’t waste your time with these morons.

Not sure that’s fair. Most people, with good intentions, believe what their priests tell them.

They are operating on their terms–not on the terms of the Church. It’s a joke to them.

I’m sure the priest will remind the couple that, if they are unable to avoid living together after the civil ceremony, they must do so ‘as brother and sister’ unless a Catholic marriage ceremony is able to take place after a postitive Second Instance decision. …Most priest I know would never do this!

Unless they have a dispensation for lack of form, then they will have to have a radical sanation or convalidation later. Without a dispensation then it is setting a bad example, in my opinion.

He’s not yet free to marry and that was clearly indicated on the notification he got from the regional Tribunal. Even if he were, they’d need a dispensation for lack of form and for disparity of cult. They have no final decree and no dispensations.

Outrageous.

Is one of the parties a non-baptised person?

I can just about understand them, but the priest - what does he think he’s doing???

Maybe thats it, he’s not thinking.

I don’t understand why they set a date before getting the final decision. If it were me I would have waited to have that in hand before setting the date. Maybe i’m just more responsible about having my ducks in a row…

It’s not a joke to them, they just don’t get the gravity of what they are doing by getting married civilly. She even approached me and asked if they’d be able to have the civil ceremony in the church if the Blessed Sacrament was removed from the Tabernacle.:eek: She really, really doesn’t get it.

So at the civil ceremony, they will have their marriage certificate signed by a justice of the peace rather than by a Catholic priest, they will not be married (due to lack of form). The priest might intend to witness the marriage, and then submit a secret radical sanation afterwards to fix the lack of proper dispensation.

He can’t do that when the groom is not free to marry.

He’s also not our pastor, just the guy who did the annulment interviews and happens to be here while our pastor is away to one of the missions.

This shows that they do not understand the Sacrament of Marriage and that lack of understanding could be setting her up for a decree of nullity further down the road. I really think someone needs to call the Bishop on this one as part of the major problem with the rising number of decrees of nullity is poor formation. Granted you can only do so much but this is ridiculous.

Shouldn’t we rather pray for people who are led astray, and try to be good examples to them?
I don’t believe anybody should be considered a waste of time?

Spot on.

True, so he could not do the radical sanation (which can carry multiple dispensations) until later after the annulment is complete.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.