Annulment question

I am divorced, and seeking an annulment from the Catholic Church. If it is granted I understand I am free to marry again.

I'm wondering whether a previously non-Catholic, who is divorced (civil, non-religious ceremony) must also seek an annulment for their marriage prior to being free to marry in the Catholic Church (pending RCIA).

[quote="caligirl, post:1, topic:216211"]
I'm wondering whether a previously non-Catholic, who is divorced (civil, non-religious ceremony) must also seek an annulment for their marriage prior to being free to marry in the Catholic Church (pending RCIA).

[/quote]

Yes.

Or, depending upon their baptismal status or the baptismal status of their former spouse, they may also be able to pursue the Pauline or Petrine Privilege.

This chart may be helpful to you:

diocs.org/Portals/1/Documents/Tribunal/Decision_matrix.pdf

What a great resource! Thank you!!!

I am divorced, and seeking an annulment from the Catholic Church. If it is granted I understand I am free to marry again.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church considers any marriage between two non-Catholics valid unless and until proven otherwise, through the process popularly called "annulment". So yes any divorced person who wishes to marry a Catholic must submit that first marriage for the canon law investigation to determine if a valid marriage existed from the get go. No, a divorced non-Catholic who wishes to enter the Catholic Church does not need an annulment unless they want to marry again (or unless they have already entered into a second marriage and need to have that situation regularized.)

[/quote]

There is one caveat to the first part of your statement - since everyone has done such a wonderful job on the second part. The tribunal upon publishing a finding of invalidity of a marriage may require one or both parties to go through certain counseling before marrying in the Church or one or both parties may be placed under prohibition - this could be long term counseling, a time period, or permament if there is a real issue that would affect a future a marriage.

The good part is in my diocese if they send the person for counseling the diocese helps defray the cost of the first appointment and then only if the counselor feels it is necessary does the person have to pay out of pocket or with insurance for other appointments.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.