Annulment question

A few weeks ago I asked a question regarding my 1st marriage (wife a non-Catholic never baptized, me baptized in a Protestant church and we were married in a Methodist church) and learned via Fr Vincent Serpa the marriage was valid but not sacramental.

6+ years ago I civilly married my present (2nd and final thankfully), wife. We are fairly certain her 1st marriage will be considered invalid due to a form issue (she converted to Greek Orthodox as a condition of marrying) and we keep reading that my annulment should be granted as well–however, it can take between 18 and 24 months before the annulment(s) will be granted or not.

Is there any way this process can be expedited (we live in the Diocese of Charleston, SC) so it’s not a year and a half or longer before we can go thru RCIA class (we’ve been told we need to wait till our annulments are granted before we can attend the classes) and be confirmed so we might partake/participate in the Blessed Sacraments?

I so very much need the Sacrament of Reconciliation and being unable to receive Communion is difficult to say the least since learning it is the Body and Blood of our Savior that’s present in the Eucharist. My wife and I also desire to be married in the Church and recognize how important this Sacrament also. The idea of having to wait so long is distressful and frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks for your time and for these forums.

Dear the,

The hunger you are experiencing is itself one of the greatest of gifts! It is a very tangible sign of the Lord’s favor. His hand is on you! Because the annulment process can take as much as 24 months does not mean that it will. You might tell your priest of your great hunger—if you haven’t already. I don’t know what else you can do, except wait. Think of Mary and how she waited on the Lord all her life. Waiting is your current act of worship and love. The fact that it is difficult makes it all the more valuable a gift to give.
You and your wife are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.