I'll attempt to keep this short...
I married in 1986 and in 2005 my wife told me that she wanted to separate because as she put it, she "... was tired of being a wife and a mother." We married when we were both very young (she was 19 / I was 20). Fast-forward to 2007... After about two years of separation, and two years of me waiting and praying for reconciliation, I attempted to move past the pain and rejection and call it quits. I sought out a lawyer with the intention of filing for a divorce and then seek an annulment within the Church. I failed miserably. I couldn't get myself to turn in the paperwork for the divorce. My wife then decided to take over and she filed for a no-fault divorce. The divorce was final in October 2007. It broke my heart. However, I still hadn't lost all hope and continued to pray that reconciliation may yet be possible. By the fall of 2008, with still no sign of any chance of this, I very reluctantly went to my parish priest and inquired about an annulment. A deacon in my parish took over my case and the paperwork was completed and filed. Within approx a month (maybe 2 months) I was notified that my petition had been "pre-screened" and found to be lacking in evidence under the grounds in which I had filed the petition. I took this as a sign from above that perhaps I should not give up and so I accepted it. When my wife (I refuse to refer to her as my ex-wife) was told of the situation, she was concerned. She wasn't concerned because of how it affected her and her situation because to be frank, when we separated, she (for the most part) also separated herself from the Church. She was concerned about how this would affect me. She claims she still loves me, just not in the way that a wife loves a husband. Anyway, she decided to then petition for an annulment herself. Her petition apparently made it past the "pre-screening" because I was sent paperwork to fill out and of course notified of the filing. Fast-forward to present. All of the "evidence" and testimonies have been received and I was just notified that I can make an appointment to come in and review it if I should choose to do so. I have until October 8th and after that (I don't know when) a decision will be rendered by the tribunal.
Here's my question... Should I go in and review this evidence or should I just sign the waiver and allow this to go forward? I'm torn, because I am not sure if my wife told the truth in her statements and what the consequences would be if a decision were made based on a lie(s). I am quite sure that this petition was filed with the intent of "setting me free" to pursue a possible relationship (and marriage) in the future should God place that in my path. Though, since we were married back in 1986 until now, I have never had (nor can I imagine ever having) any thoughts toward this end. Regardless of the tribunal's decision, I'm not going to be happy because whatever way they decide will not answer my prayers for reconciliation with the woman that I still consider to be my wife.
So, should I review this evidence or should I just let it go and live with the possibility that if the annulment is granted that it may have been done so based on a lie or lies?
Obviously, I will accept the decision of the tribunal regardless as I know that Church has the authority to bid and loose. However, I'm conflicted on that matter and I don't know whether it’s simply my emotions driving me to this or my sense of wanting to ensure the truth is what is considered as opposed to a lie with the intent of causing a "good." As I said, regardless, I will not find happiness in the decision because either way, my wife (the only woman that I have ever loved) has rejected me and continues to do so.