Annunciation question

The Annunciation was a very important part of humanity, why did God send an angel to announce this good news? Why didn’t God personally talk to Mary like he did so many times in the Old Testament (ex. Moses - burning bush) to the prophets? I was just thinking that this was of utmost important why send an angel?

[quote=dizzy_dave]The Annunciation was a very important part of humanity, why did God send an angel to announce this good news? Why didn’t God personally talk to Mary like he did so many times in the Old Testament (ex. Moses - burning bush) to the prophets? I was just thinking that this was of utmost important why send an angel?
[/quote]

It’s possible that that is exactly what is being described in Luke 1. “The Angel of the LORD” is often used interchangeably with “The LORD” in Genesis, for instance - see Genesis 16 for a good example of this.

The individualisation of angels in the Bible, and the giving of names to them, is a relatively late development.

The real problem with the passage, is that the author is compelled to speak of other-worldly things in language modelled on the experience men have of this world - so there is some question of how far one can talk of a “meeting” between an angel, and Mary. Equally, there may be some mystical states in which it is possible for human beings to “meet” angels. IMHO, Our Lady had some kind of mystical experience; that’s my guess, anyway; take it or leave it, as you think best :slight_smile:

Hope that helps ##

Dizzy Dave:

I think it would have been rather overwhelming and smothering for God himself to come and ask. Think about it. It would have compelled her. God in utmost respect of her free will made it this way.

I’m sure there’s a more theological answer than this…

Have fun.
A

I am no expert, but it seems God does both. Remember, the Bible says we cannot see God the Father while we are living, so if he came he would need to come as smoke or something.

Maybe he knew this would be a big moment so he wanted the paintings to be more pleasing with an angel than with smoke :smiley:

[quote=AquinasXVI]Dizzy Dave:

I think it would have been rather overwhelming and smothering for God himself to come and ask. Think about it. It would have compelled her. God in utmost respect of her free will made it this way.

I’m sure there’s a more theological answer than this…

Have fun.
A
[/quote]

Building on your insight, Aquinas, in eastern cultures a man does not propose himself but sends an emmisary or asks the parents when he wants a bride. So, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit sent Gabriel, who is an archangel and not the Lord himself, as the go-between so that everything would be done properly and in order. So Mary is the Daughter of God the Father, the Mother of God the Son, and the Most Holy Spouse of the Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.