Annunciation vs. Lenten Friday

I had received an email from a good orthodox Catholic group that quoted the old maxim that we are encouraged to “fast with the Church and Feast with the Church”. The email went on to say that the Solemnity of the Annunciation (tomorrow) affords the faithful an opportunity to relax their Lenten practices for Fridays in celebration of this high Feast.

My Catholic calendar lists the Annunciation tomorrow, of course, yet it says that the Lenten observances for Friday are to be followed.

Which is correct? In a similar situation last year or two years ago, I believe the Feast of St. Joseph fell on a Friday in Lent and we were allowed to relax the Lenten practices for celebration on this occasion too. We queried at least 2 priests and they both said that the Feast of St. Joseph “trumps” so to speak the Friday in Lent.

I just found my own answer in Canon 1251:

Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday.

Yes, on Solemnities the abstinence from meat is lifted, so tomorrow we can eat meat and feast with the Church. Also last Friday, after 4 P.M. we could have eaten meat as Solemnities technically begin at sundown the day before, which of course is also why Saturday Vigil masses are acceptable to fill the Sunday Mass obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.