Anointing of the Sick question

Hi everyone. I have a question about the Anointing of the Sick. If I was anointed for problems with my mental disorders, will the anointing also cover what I think may be a sinus infection coming on? So what I am asking is if you are anointed for one thing, does it also cover other health problems that may be occurring in your life? Thanks!

Interesting question!

We must remember that God is in charge of the sacraments. He will heal something when you are anointed, but it may not be what you expect.

That said, when you are anointed, any ailment, physical, spiritual or mental, you may have is subject to the sacrament.

So I would say that yes, your sinus infection could potentially be healed. It’s up to God.

During one of the RCIA classes I taught, Father performed the Anointing of the Sick on anyone who wished it. One young man who could barely walk that day due to a back injury, walked home a much more comfortable man. He was a quiet fellow, but sure talked about his healing!

CCC#1527 The purpose of the Sacrament is the conferral of a special grace on the Christian experiencing the difficulties inherent in the condition of grave illness or old age.

CCC#1529, says Each time a Christian falls seriously ill, he can receive the Sacrament more than once even if the illness worsen.

So yes, your sinus infection is covered. This could be considered a worsening of your condition. The best thing to do is ask your priest next time you see him. I don’t think there is a expiration date on this Sacrament or any Sacrament for that matter. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Ah ok thanks! :thumbsup:

I asked this question because today I was anointed for my mental disorders and then when I got home I felt like I was catching a cold or a sinus infection so I wondered if my anointing which was originally meant for the mental disorders would cover a cold or a sinus infection as well. Thanks to both of you! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.