Anointing of the sick services

Today after Mass there was an anointing of the sick service. The lady who was next to me tried to push me into doing it saying aren’t you going to do it… I said no isn’t it for elderly people?(I’m 27) :confused: she was probably early 40s and said she was receiving it on behalf of her daughter who is in hospital … Is this normal? Also, I noticed almost the whole Church went up for this anointing. These people were not elderly. Surely this is not allowed?? I thought anointing of the sick is meant to be kept for the later stages of life when you are facing death. I asked a girl near me why young people were going she said “If you’re sick , you’re sick” am I missing something?

From the Catechism:

1526 “Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters of the Church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven” (Jas 5:14-15).

1527 The sacrament of Anointing of the Sick has as its purpose the conferral of a special grace on the Christian experiencing the difficulties inherent in the condition of grave illness or old age.

1528 The proper time for receiving this holy anointing has certainly arrived when the believer begins to be in danger of death because of illness or old age.

1529 Each time a Christian falls seriously ill, he may receive the Anointing of the Sick, and also when, after he has received it, the illness worsens.

1530 Only priests (presbyters and bishops) can give the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, using oil blessed by the bishop, or if necessary by the celebrating presbyter himself.

1531 The celebration of the Anointing of the Sick consists essentially in the anointing of the forehead and hands of the sick person (in the Roman Rite) or of other parts of the body (in the Eastern rite), the anointing being accompanied by the liturgical prayer of the celebrant asking for the special grace of this sacrament.

1532 The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:

• the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
  • the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
  • the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;
  • the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
  • the preparation for passing over to eternal life.

Age is not a factor.

My parish started offering Anointing of the Sick once a month as a regular practice.

At first it was done during the Mass. Over time it was switched so that it was offered after Mass.

The first time – during Mass – almost everyone in the church went forward. It almost felt like “hey, they’re giving something away so we better get it.” It was crazy.

After that, while it was still offered during Mass, there was more catechesis about what exactly the sacrament was about and who should receive it. It was made clear that this was for people with serious illnesses or advanced age. The number of people going forward dropped dramatically. Clearly at the beginning people really didn’t understand it.

Now it is offered after Mass once a month. An announcement is made that if people would like to receive the sacrament they should remain in church and after the priest greets people at the door he will return. There may be only one or two people who stay after Mass and are anointed.

I like that it’s readily available to people who need it. I think that people might not think to ask for the sacrament if they are ill, but may be reminded to receive it if it’s made part of the parish’s liturgical life.

She cannot receive the sacrament on behalf of her daughter. In danger of death is acceptable and many elderly are in danger.

This is neither normal nor possible. It is not possible to receive a sacrament on behalf of another. If her daughter is in the hospital, she shoul arrange for the priest to anoint her in the hospital.

I am not sure where you got the idea that the Anointing of the Sick is only for the eldery. It is for people who are sick.

I received anointing when preparing for surgery, I was 30 at the time.

It is not for those who are healthy and well, it is not for those with trivial illnesses like a cold. It is for those with serious illnesses, those facing surgery, those in frail health or suffering from a serious chronic illness. And, certainly those who are near dath.

Many people today suffer from chronic illnesses that cannot be seen-- diabetes, high blood pressure, colitis, heart conditions, rhumatoid arthritis, etc. Someone may “look” healthy and yet suffer from a seriousand debilitating illness and may want to receive anointing. They may have come to that particular Mass knowing it the priest would anoint after Mass and therefore there were many people there specifically for that.

But basically it's only for a person in danger of death.. Because I have health issues but I didn't go up because I don't think they will cause death

It is not only for those in danger of death. If you have a serious disease you an get anointed. If it gets worse after awhile you can get anointed again. I got anointed last year before a surgery that was not life threatening but my priest said I should be anointed.

Is this a Sacrament I can ask for? My Priest knows how sick I am, but has never offered, should I simply let him be the judge? I would actually be embarrassed to ask,...

CIC
Can. 1004
§1 The anointing of the sick can be administered to any member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger of death by reason of illness or old age.
§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.

[quote="Vico, post:9, topic:305470"]
CIC
Can. 1004
§1 The anointing of the sick can be administered to any member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger of death by reason of illness or old age.
§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.

[/quote]

I understand the letter of the law, at least in this instance, but what I don't understand is how does one make that call? My illnesses are grave, but not having a diagnosis of all that ails me makes it more difficult to determine if my death is imminent. I have had some close calls and some frightening symptoms.

[quote="littlechicken, post:10, topic:305470"]
I understand the letter of the law, at least in this instance, but what I don't understand is how does one make that call? My illnesses are grave, but not having a diagnosis of all that ails me makes it more difficult to determine if my death is imminent. I have had some close calls and some frightening symptoms.

[/quote]

Danger that has "begun to exist" is not the same as in imminent danger of dying (in extremis) and was changed from immanent to "begun to exist" in the Vatican II era.

Examples:

"those who are dangerously ill through sickness or old age"
"a sick person...before surgery whenever the surgery is necessitated by a dangerous illness"

"elderly people...if they are weak, though not dangerously ill"
"sick children...sufficiently mature to be comforted by the sacrament"
"sick people who have lost consciousness or who have lost the use of reason...if ...they would have requested it if they had been in possession of their faculties"

ewtn.com/expert/answers/anointing_of_the_sick.htm

Those with grave psychiatric conditions, such as those who have been hospitalized, may receive the Anointing of the Sick as well.

[quote="littlechicken, post:8, topic:305470"]
Is this a Sacrament I can ask for? My Priest knows how sick I am, but has never offered, should I simply let him be the judge? I would actually be embarrassed to ask,...

[/quote]

Yes, absolutely, ask him. Be no more embarrassed than you would be to ask for him to hear your confession. When one of my children was young (about 9 or 10 at the time), she had health issues they could not determine the reason for after many medical appointments and hospital visits. I knew she wasn't going to die from whatever it was, but she was in pain and we didn't know why. Fortunately, a wise priest and I were chatting and he said he would be happy to annoint her. I had never thought of it! He did, and two days later -- from out of the blue -- the reason for her problems was discovered and she was immediately relieved from her pain. I know this is not the norm, and most times the graces we receive from this sacrament are less obvious. But praise God for his mercy and love!!!

Thanks. That is very clear. I can’t always click on links as the security on my computer is so high, so it is often much easier if someone just spells it out for me here.
Have a good night.

[quote="IrishAm, post:13, topic:305470"]
Yes, absolutely, ask him. Be no more embarrassed than you would be to ask for him to hear your confession. When one of my children was young (about 9 or 10 at the time), she had health issues they could not determine the reason for after many medical appointments and hospital visits. I knew she wasn't going to die from whatever it was, but she was in pain and we didn't know why. Fortunately, a wise priest and I were chatting and he said he would be happy to annoint her. I had never thought of it! He did, and two days later -- from out of the blue -- the reason for her problems was discovered and she was immediately relieved from her pain. I know this is not the norm, and most times the graces we receive from this sacrament are less obvious. But praise God for his mercy and love!!!

[/quote]

A nice story. Thanks for sharing. :)

I am glad that she is feeling well now.

I think my embarrassment comes from knowing there are others who need The Sacrament more.(such as a young child :slight_smile: ;)) And from not wanting others to know how sick I am. On here it is different, because I maintain anonymity. (Unless someone really wants to find out who I am, I know it can be done, but meh, if they want to go to all that bother…)
Thank you for your response, I will ask him, as I have exhausted most medical tests/remedies.

I have come back and re-read this a few times. Sometimes I think I take some of the Sacraments for granted, thinking, yes, that’s what they’re there for, but, when does healing actually happen? Your story warms my heart. I thank God that your daughter was granted such a healing. For what else could it be called? And what else could have brought about the healing? It helps to increase my faith, as I am sure it does others. And I hope you relay this to many people. Such a blessing. :slight_smile:
May God continue to bless you and yours.
And I hope you won’t mind if I share your story with others?
littlechicken

Pass it along, my friend. This child’s own daughter will have her First Reconciliation soon, so graces do play forward . . .

That sounds like that was an abuse.

Receiving a sacrament on behalf of another? Where do these ideas come from?

I think Anointing of the Sick is often misunderstood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.