Anointing of the terminally ill for protestants

My daughter’s father-in-law has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and admitted to hospice. He was a practicing protestant before becoming ill with a litany of ailments in recent years. Would it be possible for him to be anointed as in the sacrament of “anointing of the sick” by a Catholic Priest before he dies?

It is possible, if he is a baptized Christian and requests the Catholic sacraments.

Code of Canon Law 844:

Can. 844 §1. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone, who likewise receive them licitly from Catholic ministers alone, without prejudice to the prescripts of §§2, 3, and 4 of this canon, and ⇒ can. 861, §2…

§4. If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

Absolutely, protestants need it the most. I’m learning that every day on Facebook, it seems that their chief occupation is taking pot-shots at Catholics.

Couldn’t help but see the irony in your statement.:smiley:

To the original post: unless he has voiced a desire towards Roman Catholicism, you could contact a local Anglican or (male) Episcopal Priest and see if they would be willing to come out. This of course depends on your relatives desire for it.

As a P. I would like to apologize for the ‘potshots’ and tell you I love you.:thumbsup:

I know I was told that non catholic baptized Christians can receive the sacraments from
a Catholic priest in the case of an illness that can be fatal.

I read in another thread that confession must first be given before receiving the annointing of the sick if the person is in mortal sin.

So this would apply to a non-catholic as well, confession and then annointing. That might be a bit much for them when they are seriously ill. Because they would need to be instructed on confession and what it means and how to make it and to accept it. How would this be accomplished?

If they spontaneously request the sacraments and are in danger of death, then yes. But it would essentially entail them becoming Catholic on their deathbed, and it would be wrong (tempting as it may be to try and help their soul) to have the sacraments administered to them unless they fully understand and consent to it.

:rolleyes:

My fomer priest has said yes, Protestants may recieve the annointing.
Even those who do not take pot-shots.

Like others have said, it is allowed. However, as I stated before, it’d be intellectually dishonest for someone to request the sacraments without believing Catholic teaching (akin to a Catholic keeping Kosher “just in case”), and it would be extremely dishonest to request that he be given the sacraments without his full knowledge and consent (akin to Mormons posthumously adding someone to their membership rolls).

Proceed with caution. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.