Anorexia nervosa

my almost 14yoDD is in the hospital. we need many prayers please. she is in the eating disorders unit and is currently 5'4" and 83 pounds of bone and skin, weak, dry skin, breaking nails, cold all the time, fuzzy thinking, constantly compulsively moving/jittering/exercising, eating about 400-600 calories a day. they are trying to get her to 1400 a day. anyone with experience/hope please help.

You, your daughter and your family are in my prayers. It sounds as if she is in the right place given her physical condition. Generally the earlier anorexia is treated and the younger the person, then the better ths prognosis. An experienced clinical team is also very important to prevent AN becoming a chronic state. There are some excellent books on dealing with AN both as a parent and as a sufferer:

Anorexia Nervosa: A Survival Guide for Families and Friends by Janet Treasure.

Overcoming Anorexia Nervosa by Peter Cooper and Christopher Freeman

Hunger for Understanding. A workbook for Helping Young People to Understand and Overcome Anorexia Nervosa by Alison Eivors and Sophie Nesbitt

There are also lots of autobiographies written by young people who have overcome anorexia and by mothers of daughters who had anorexia.

Thin by Grace Bowman

Anorexia a Stranger in the Family by Katie Metcalfe

Perfect. Anorexia and Me by Emily Halban

Stick Figure: A Diary of my Former self by Lori Gottlieb.

The forum does not allow giving specific medical advice. If you want to PM I will try to help if I can.

God Bless

Rachel, I am so sorry to hear this. I have no advice, but will pray for your daughter and your family. Do you think that this has anything to do with your husband? It seems like what you were reporting about him could really cause quite an emotional toll for a teenaged girl.

Contact Teresa Tomeo. She is a Catholic speaker and suffered from an eating disorder when she was a young woman.

teresatomeo.com/

No advice, but just my prayers. I’m so sorry to hear this about your daughter.

Your family is in my prayers. I am so sorry for your situation.

thank you so much for prayers and book recommendations and any other ideas -- please keep them coming. yes, i'm sure a lot of this is due to my dh's looking and lusting, etc.

Rachel eating disorders often (not always) go hand and hand with sexual abuse. Is your daughter speaking with a therapist? She will be in my prayers.

she has a good therapist but has not told anyone of any actual physical sexual abuse

I have no advice, but you are definitely in my prayers. :)

I am sorry :(

Eating disorders are tough. I will pray for you & your daughter, It can be a long road. My best friend is a psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders. I wish she lived near you, she is so great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.