Another Authority Question

Okay, let me ask this:

What is Sacred Tradition and what gives it authority?

(I’m trying to understand the connection between God-Word-Church-Tradition in the Catholic view)

-Everyman

[quote=Everyman]Okay, let me ask this:

What is Sacred Tradition and what gives it authority?

(I’m trying to understand the connection between God-Word-Church-Tradition in the Catholic view)

-Everyman
[/quote]

Sacred Tradition is everything passed down to us by the Apostles. The Bible was Sacred Tradition at one time.

The Catholic view is that Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Church are of equal importance.

The Holy Scriptures tell us of the importance of tradition.

*“I commend you because you remember me in everything and **maintain the traditions ** even as I have delivered them to you.” 1 Cor. 11:2

"So, then, brethren, *stand firm and hold to the traditions ** which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter." 2 Thess. 2:15

These traditions were both oral and written as many could not read at that time.

*"…if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth." 1 Tim. 3:15

“…Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our sufficiency is from God, who has qualified us to be ministers of a new covenant…” 2 Cor. 3:3-6*

Christ gave authority to His Church to speak the truth and be ministers of the new covenant because He knew how easy it would be for us to be led astray.

*“There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction as they do the other scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, **beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men ** and lose your own stability.” 2 Peter 3:16-17

“I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. ** When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth**; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak and he will declare to you the things that are to come.” John 16:12-13

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matt. 18:15-18*

Acts Chapter 15 also tells the story of the disciples trying to decide if Gentiles need to be circumcised to be saved.

“Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question.” Acts 15:2

They decided it was not necessary for the Gentiles to be circumcised and the apostles wrote a letter to the community to be delivered and read aloud. This is the authority of the apostles. This is oral and written tradition as it is delivered.

The only Church that has apostolic succession is the Catholic Church, so the **authority of sacred tradition comes from Jesus, through the apostles, to our present leaders of the Church ** (our pope and the cardinals).

Think of it this way. All bible only thinkers believe soley in the bible. There’s one problem with that. Where in the bible does it tell you what books need to be in the bible? It doesen’t. You need the sacred Tradition and the authority of the church (the Catholic Church) to tell you what books belong in there.

[quote=Lillith]Sacred Tradition is everything passed down to us by the Apostles. The Bible was Sacred Tradition at one time.

The Catholic view is that Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Church are of equal importance.
[/quote]

Actually, the Bible still is Sacred Tradition. Tradition comes in two forms: written and oral.

[quote=Kay Cee]Actually, the Bible still is Sacred Tradition. Tradition comes in two forms: written and oral.
[/quote]

The Bible is NOT Sacred Tradition. It is Sacred Scripture.
Divine Revelation comes to us in two forms.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The Bible is NOT Sacred Tradition. It is Sacred Scripture.
Divine Revelation comes to us in two forms.
[/quote]

Tradition is the word of God handed down, whether in written or oral form.

That’s what I was taught in my Catholic Bible study class.

[quote=Kay Cee]Tradition is the word of God handed down, whether in written or oral form.

That’s what I was taught in my Catholic Bible study class.
[/quote]

I agree with Br. Rich.

Here is the Catechism concerning the relationship of Tradition and Scripture…

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm#art2

ARTICLE 2
THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION

74 God “desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth”: that is, of Christ Jesus. Christ must be proclaimed to all nations and individuals, so that this revelation may reach to the ends of the earth:
God graciously arranged that the things he had once revealed for the salvation of all peoples should remain in their entirety, throughout the ages, and be transmitted to all generations.
I. The Apostolic Tradition

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."In the apostolic preaching . . .

76 In keeping with the Lord’s command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways: —orally “by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received—whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit”;
—in writing “by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing.”
. . . continued in apostolic succession

77 “In order that the full and living Gospel might always be preserved in the Church the apostles left bishops as their successors. They gave them ‘their own position of teaching authority.’” Indeed, “the apostolic preaching, which is expressed in a special way in the inspired books, was to be preserved in a continuous line of succession until the end of time.”

78 This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life, and worship perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes. “The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer.”

79 The Father’s self-communication made through his Word in the Holy Spirit, remains present and active in the Church: "God, who spoke in the past, continues to converse with the Spouse of his beloved Son. And the Holy Spirit, through whom the living voice of the Gospel rings out in the Church—and through her in the world—leads believers to the full truth, and makes the Word of Christ dwell in them in all its richness. The Relationship Between Tradition and Sacred ScriptureOne common source . . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing and move towards the same goal."Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own “always, to the close of the age.”. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit. And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound, and spread it abroad by their preaching.

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."Apostolic Tradition and ecclesial traditions

83 The Tradition here in question comes from the apostles and hands on what they received from Jesus’ teaching and example and what they learned from the Holy Spirit. The first generation of Christians did not yet have a written New Testament, and the New Testament itself demonstrates the process of living Tradition.

Tradition is to be distinguished from the various theological, disciplinary, liturgical, or devotional traditions, born in the local churches over time. These are the particular forms, adapted to different places and times, in which the great Tradition is expressed. In the light of Tradition, these traditions can be retained, modified or even abandoned under the guidance of the Church’s magisterium.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.