Another bashing of the Catholic Church from the culture

afterellen.com/movies/2011/03/first-look-at-the-perfect-family

This is a movie about gays. Richard Chamberlain is gay and I believe Kathleen Turner has had an abortion. Seems the people in Hollywood is now going to make movies to put the church in a bad light. Will they win and should we be concerned.

lifenews.com/2011/11/07/kathleen-turner-to-keynote-planned-parenthood-fundraiser/

Turner was the keynote speaker at PP fundraiser. People in Hollywood are pushing their agenda.

[quote="oneofmany, post:1, topic:277232"]
This is a movie about gays.

[/quote]

No it isn't. Its a movie about a wife and mother coming to terms with the fact that her family isn't perfect or at least what she thinks her fellow Catholics would regard as perfect. Having a lesbian daughter is only 1 of many things about her family that are highlighted, there is no abortion, and it is not an anti-Catholic movie.

Synopsis:

In this sweet family drama, a devout Catholic (Kathleen Turner) in the running for the coveted Catholic Woman of the Year award must prove that her family actually conforms to the image of “the perfect family” as envisioned by the church, an image she’s put forth with considerable effort her whole life.

The problem? Her daughter, played by Emily Deschanel, is a lesbian — and she’s getting married to a woman (played by Angelique Cabral). This thwarts Kathleen’s character’s plans, and it’ll likely be tragic watching her attempt to figure out how to maintain her “perfect” Catholic family.

afterellen.com/movies/2011/03/first-look-at-the-perfect-family

Of course, Tinseltown is going to argue in this film: well, if Catholicism didn’t teach that two women cannot marry each other then her family would be perfect.

It seems that Catholic Women of the Year Awards are in fact issued (at least in some dioceses) but the awards are issued based on individuals’ public service and are not issued because a mother’s children are pious Catholics:

The Catholic Women of the Year for 2011 are:

Maria Albrecht, who with her husband Scott runs the Catholic Worker farm near Rickmansworth, where they welcome refugees and asylum seekers who all live together with the family. Often severely traumatised by grim experiences, the residents can discover healing, friendship and safety at the farm, where they share the work of running the house and producing food from the large garden. Current residents include women from Afghanistan, Iraq and the Congo. None qualify for any public benefits, and they can stay at the farm for as long as needed while they discover ways to move forward with their lives.

Jean Sykes, whose nomination was supported by Anglicans, Baptists and Methodists in her home town of Meltham as well as the growing Catholic parish. She runs a charity shop which raises over £25,000 every year for local projects, and organises an annual Christmas party for old people in the town, collecting gifts for this throughout the year to ensure that everyone attending has a present. She is a staunch supporter of the local Catholic community, which meets for Mass in the local Anglican church: she tackles tasks that range from washing-up the coffee cups to arranging flowers and cards to be sent those whose who are sick . . .

indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=18585

[quote="Dwyer, post:4, topic:277232"]
Of course, Tinseltown is going to argue in this film: well, if the Catholicism didn't teach that two women cannot marry each other then her family would be perfect. It seems that Catholic Woman of the Year Awards are in fact issued but the awards issued based on individuals' public service and are not issued because a mother's children are pious Catholics.

[/quote]

At the risk of ruining the movie; that isn't at all what the movie actually posits. The main character believes that her family would jeopardize her receipt of the award but it is not the case and her fears of a judgmental parish are mistaken. It is less about the actual award than it is about her fears of how others perceive her family and coming to terms with the fact that they are not a model of perfection. And, again, having a lesbian daughter is only one of numerous things that contribute to her paranoia (ex an alcoholic husband and adulterous son).

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:3, topic:277232"]
No it isn't. Its a movie about a wife and mother coming to terms with the fact that her family isn't perfect or at least what she thinks her fellow Catholics would regard as perfect. Having a lesbian daughter is only 1 of many things about her family that are highlighted, there is no abortion, and it is not an anti-Catholic movie.

[/quote]

While I see your point about a somewhat misleading OP, the movie's premise is still problematic and your little spoiler of the film tends to only affirm that. The pro-lesbian aspect still sounds a bit too positive to be regarded as inoffensive to Catholics.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:6, topic:277232"]
While I see your point about a somewhat misleading OP, the movie's premise is still problematic and your little spoiler of the film tends to only affirm that. The pro-lesbian aspect still sounds a bit too positive to be regarded as inoffensive to Catholics.

[/quote]

Its offensive to Catholics to have a lesbian daughter?

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:7, topic:277232"]

[/quote]

Okay now you're the one being misleading. All I said that you haven't hinted anything that makes the pro-lesbian aspect of the move less excessively positive. Most movies that feature a GLBT relationship tend to make small, unnecessary glorifications of it that make my eyes roll. :rolleyes:

The film has been hitting the film festival circuit for the past year. It is scheduled to open in US theaters in early May, but only to a limited release.

The handful of reviews I have read indicate that it has the depth of a Hallmark Channel film. My guess is that this film is going to have little appeal except to those who already dislike the Catholic Church and want to see the Church, and devout Catholics, portrayed in a bad light.

Most people who see it, I suspect, will do so at home (either on DVD or via streaming video.)

If you want to see a good, morally uplifting film, get your hands on a copy of the 2011 French film “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”… that should provide a great antidote to all the immoral tripe coming from Hollywood these days. A brilliant film!

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:7, topic:277232"]

[/quote]

I don't think thaty's what Lost Wanderer is saying and you know it.

The Op may have overstated the case, so to speak, regarding the offensive nature of the movie----but ultimately, you know as well as I do that most movies of this type ultimately end up with the family member coming to 'accept" the son /daughter's homosexuality/lesbianism. I very much doubt a "mainstream" Hollywood movie, even a supposedly "inidie" one, would end up with a fictional character ending up affirming the actual teachings of the CC.

I'm willing to bet that is what the outcome of the movie is. Poor judgemental, intolerant religious person ultimately learns that "God loves everybody" and grows to "accept" that there is nothing wrong with LGBT people.
And the move ends with the wedding of the lesbian couple and everybody lives happily ever after.
The end.
That is what the LW was implying and he is almost certainly right. That's the problem. Implication-----Traditional Catholics who don't accept their son/daughter's sinful lifestyle and life choices are intolerant and need to "see the light."
THAT'S the "offensive" part of the movie and the reason behind most everybody's comments.

Don't be making assumptions about Lost Wanderer, EN.

Please.

I don't get how this movie is anti catholic. So the woman has a lesbian daughter. My mom has a bi daughter (me), so I guess she is anti catholic:shrug:

[quote="child_of_God85, post:12, topic:277232"]
I don't get how this movie is anti catholic. So the woman has a lesbian daughter. My mom has a bi daughter (me), so I guess she is anti catholic:shrug:

[/quote]

Read the post above yours. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:11, topic:277232"]
I'm willing to bet that is what the outcome of the movie is. Poor judgemental, intolerant religious person ultimately learns that "God loves everybody" and grows to "accept" that there is nothing wrong with LGBT people.
And the move ends with the wedding of the lesbian couple and everybody lives happily ever after.
The end.

[/quote]

Exactly.

I mean to think I just recently decried "Christian" entertainment for being rife with bad cliches. However, I'll be a little fair and hold my judgment until that's exactly how the movie plays out (high chances of that it may seem).

If you ask me, I'd rather a movie have no resolution with regards to homosexuality. The daughter stays lesbian and the mother just simply learns the ills of moral perfectionism. You don't need a wedding and pro-GLBT acceptance routine to effectively convey the latter.

Here is the trailer---

youtube.com/watch?v=VEGNqbpZpnA&feature=player_embedded

The line, "I'm a Catholic, I don't have to think" pretty much sums it up. We are suppose to just follow what the church says because she says it and not be following because we, in our hearts, think it is right.

Killing a baby in the womb is evil and there is no compromise on that. Hollywood has always gone by ratings and changed with the times. The church doesn't care about ratings and Christ''s teachings do not change with the times. This is not understood in popular culture today.

The OP has obviously not seen the movie. He has then proceeded to make an ill-found judgement on the movie's synopsis from viewing it's trailer and now wishes to posit that this movie is evidence that there is a Hollywood agenda to destroy the Catholic Church. The OP sounds like a clueless kid still waiting for his balls to drop. :rolleyes:

Is that actually what happens at the end of the movie or you just assuming it does for the benefit of your argument? :confused:

[quote="PrayerShark, post:16, topic:277232"]
Is that actually what happens at the end of the movie or you just assuming it does for the benefit of your argument? :confused:

[/quote]

Neither. I already said I was withholding judgment. I'm just making a cynical prediction because I've seen one too many of Hollywood's garbage selling out to the GLBT whine-wagon.

A bit unfair to assume that this movie would follow suit then. Come to think of it, I can't recall any movies that end in a lesbian wedding...

[quote="PrayerShark, post:18, topic:277232"]
A bit unfair to assume that this movie would follow suit then. Come to think of it, I can't recall any movies that end in a lesbian wedding...

[/quote]

You're being too nitpicky. It's pretty obvious of what I really meant.
If you tell me you can't recall movies that portray homosexual relations in a glorified light then you obviously don't watch a lot.

I can't say I can recall any films where the story resolution is as you are saying it is; at least not in western cinema. Most of the films I've seen dealing with homosexuality tend to portray an individual's personal struggle; a struggle to accept themselves for who they are and reach some inner peace. Rarely do they glorify a so-called 'hedonistic lifestyle', but are rather tragedies that reflect our failings as a 'caring' society. They are very good at shining a light on how society marginalises those who are different. I will never be able to completely understand what it is like to be homosexual; to face all the struggles and persecution that they currently do. But if cinema can give me a glimpse into their world and show me their humanity, I don't think this is a bad thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.