Another lay blessing question

When my babies were Baptized the priest invited all present to trace the sign of the cross on their forehead(s) at the very beginning of the rite. Now, many years later, if I see someone I know at Mass with their baby ready to be Baptized; I always go over to them and do the same. Is that wrong? It was kind of a welcoming gesture toward the baby at Baptism or so I thought…

The signing of the child with the Sign of the Cross on the forehead is part of the Rite of Baptism and it’s done by the priest with the words

*N., the Christian community [FONT=Arial](this will soon be changed to ‘the Church of God’) welcomes you with great joy. In its name I claim you for Christ our Saviour by the sign of the cross. I now trace the cross on your forehead, and invite your parents (and godparents) to do the same.

*I know that at ‘private’ baptisms the priest will sometimes invite everyone there to do that (didn’t happen at any of my children’s baptisms) but it’s not what’s called for in the Rite – at least not in the Canadian Rite, it may be in the Rite of other countries. Regardless, it’s not something I’d do to a baby as a sign of welcome.

[/FONT]

You should not be doing that.

Thank you for your replies. I had never really given it much thought. It happened at all my children's baptisms ( in the US) in two different Dioceses. I loved that part of it. Ours were "private" Baptisms but we have a large family and it was a very special moment with all of the grandparents, aunts uncles and cousins did this. After reading all the EMHC threads about lay blessings I got to thinking I shouldn't be repeating this outside that setting--thankfully no one has minded. Thanks again!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.