Another Look at Mary, our Mother

As Catholics, sometimes we forget the wealth of information we have from the writings from 2000 years of theologians and Church Leaders. I came across this by Bishop Fulton Sheen. As many of you know, he was famous in the 1950’s for his public TV broadcasts. He is often credited for showing the “softer side” of Catholocism; one the average Christian could identify with, rather than the cold, hard institution you often see from the News Media.

Anyway, I want to show you what Bishop Sheen wrote about Mary. Any Non-Catholics or any Catholics who have trouble praying with Mary, may find this interesting:

*As Eden was the Paradise of Creation, Mary is the Paradise of the Incarnation, and in her as a Garden was celebrated the first nuptials of God and man. The closer one gets to fire, the greater the heat; the closer one is to God, the greater the purity. But since no one was ever closer to God than the woman whose human portals He threw open to walk this earth, then no one could have been more pure than she….

The key to understanding Mary is this: We do not start with Mary. We start with Christ, the Son of the living God! The less we think of Him, the less we think of her, the more we think of Him, the more we think of her; the more we adore His Divinity, the more we venerate her Motherhood; the less we adore His Divinity, the less reason we have for respecting her….

No one who thinks logically about Christ can understand such a question as: “Why do you speak so often of His Mother?”…. It may be objected: “Our Lord is enough for me. I have no need of her.” But He needed her, whether we do or not. And what is more important, Our Blessed Lord gave us His Mother as our Mother….

Mary is a window through which our humanity first catches a glimpse of Divinity on earth. Or perhaps she is more like a magnifying glass that intensifies our love of her Son, and makes our prayers more bright and burning.

God, Who made the sun, also made the moon. The moon does not take away from the brilliance of the sun. The moon would only be a burnt-out cinder floating in the immensity of space, were it not for the sun. All its light is reflected from the sun. The Blessed Mother reflects her Divine Son; without Him she is nothing. With Him, she is the Mother of Men. *

From Sheen’s, The World’s First Love

I hope you appreciated this as much as I did.

Thanks,

I am NotWorthy

Thank you, that’s beautiful. The part where he says she’s like a magnifying glass makes me think of something. In the new american bible, Luke 1:46 says "And Mary said “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord:”. In the Ignatus bible that same verse reads "And Mary said “My soul MAGNIFIES the Lord:”. I think that while the new american may be easier to read and understand at times, I thnik that the Ignatius may be truer as far as the actual translation. I don’t know if that latter part is correct or not, so if someone feels the need to clear it up for me then that’s fine. When I read that it was very powerful for me. She doesn’t take away from Christ, at least for me. The scripture even says it- her soul MAGNIFIES the Lord. To me when comparing the verses, the latter one sounds so much more profound- It is not just about what she does, but what she is, her purpose. I love Jesus so much that I want everything that he is and that he offers us, and I love his mother , too.

I do not know very much about the Ignatius Bible, but I do know that in the Vulgate, the word used in the verse you cited is Magnificat, which is correctly translated “Magnifies.” So it seems to me that the Ignatius Bible is closer to the proper translation than the New American.
Also that citation from Bishop Sheen is great. I’m working on setting up a time to talk with a non-denominational Christian about Mary’s sinlessness. I think that will help me a lot.

I agree, that’s why it meant so much to me. I feel it is different from so many of the “tired old” arguments, and maybe a new approach may help. By “tired, old”, I mean, so many of them just don’t work when I talk to others about Mary. Instead of clarifying my point, I feel it makes them think, “Hey, those Crazy Catholics really do worship Mary”!!!

Maybe that’s why I remain,

NotWorthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.