Another Mary Question

Ok, I understand how Mary can be titled co-redemptrix.

but does that make me a co-redeemer as well?

My reasoning is that without my co-operation, I will not/can not be saved, of course there are certain restrictions like with babies that die, but do normally functioning people work as co-redeemers?

DU

Literally speaking, the term “co-redemptrix” means “woman with the redeemer”. Therefore, unless you were there with our Lord, I dont think the title is appropriate :slight_smile:

From my reading on the issue, it seems to me that the title is given to Mary in order to honor her unique role n the economy of salvation. Your hypothetical use of “co-redeemer” would necessarily mean that every single person who is reddemed would be a co-redeemer or co-redemptrix, essentially rendering the term meaningless.

Think of it this way, I cannot be redeemed without Jesus or Mary. No offense, but I can be redeemed without you (or anyone else).

[quote=snowman10]Ok, I understand how Mary can be titled co-redemptrix.

but does that make me a co-redeemer as well?

My reasoning is that without my co-operation, I will not/can not be saved, of course there are certain restrictions like with babies that die, but do normally functioning people work as co-redeemers?

DU
[/quote]

If Mary did not Co-operate would we have been Redeemed in the manner we have been, in God’s plan? You make an exception or restriction “like with babies that die”. But they are no different. They also require a Co-operation of the parents. In a sense you could say that parents when they present their child for Baptism are “co-redeemers” with God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.