another music question

I know stuff like this has been covered but after reading some of the below posts and articles, i am a bit confused.

decentfilms.com/articles/decentfilms

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=631185

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=589980
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=143482&page=4
jimmyakin.org/2005/07/bad_music.html
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=415529
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=123764
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=14494
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=13588
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=625804

Are songs with lyrics that use phrases like “Oh My God”, “Good god” etc… Ok to listen to? Is it a grievous sin to listen to them or own CDs that have songs with these lyrics on them?

I know that for a sin to be mortal there are requirements: 1. serious matter; 2. Knowledge or firm belief that the act is seriously wrong prior to committing the act; 3. Full consent of the will.

However i am still unable to apply it to listening to a song which may use the phrase like “Oh My God” or similar etc…It seems like these phrases are pervasive in society and impossible to avoid.

Examples

The Format - The First Single
Queen - Bicycle Race; Somebody To Love, I Want To Break Free
TENACIOUS D - Tribute
Ides of March - Vehicle
Weather Girls - It’s raining men
The Who - Who are You
IPhil Collins - In The Air Tonight
Fall Out Boy - Thanks For The Memories

If I have any CDs with songs that have these types of phrases, do i need to get rid of the CDs? I never purchased the music with any of these issues in mind but now when i look to buy music i become quite paranoid about buying a CD with songs that may have questionable lyrics and i don’t know what to do about the music i have that has anything like the above. Personally i listen to music generally only when i am reading my study notes on the way to work on the train. Just for the record, i listen to contemporary a cappella groups who do a lot of cover songs (mainly college/university groups). Here is an example album which i have which has some questionable song choices. I personally don’t care much for song content in general, i just like the way the sound of the song is achieved because of the way it’s been done (without instruments, sure there are special effects and tricks of the studio but i am not going to get into an argument about that):

itunes.apple.com/us/album/battle/id472864734

Am i just being overscrupulous? Personally music doesnt drive me to go out and commit henious sins; its more a recreation/relaxation thing. If anything i probably spend too much money buying CDs (only because i want to support these artists).

I don’t think so.

But I do think that, by discerning your music-listening habits and by questioning the lyrical content of the music you listen to, you are being called to a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ. You are trying to hear his voice in the music. When you don’t hear him, the Holy Spirit thorugh your conscience alerts you that something isn’t quite right. Keep listening closely and responding with prayer.

thanks for the answer. I wasnt expecting such a deep response but it has given me a bit too think about. I’m still very confused.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.