Another Q about gifting Rosary - specific situation

I feel like Mary is prompting me to give a specific family member a Rosary. It just so happens that this person’s birthday is coming up! My question is concerning the details. Should I give her a blessed Rosary or an unblessed one? Some people will say it doesn’t matter and maybe it might not make a difference in the end but I’m of the belief that blessings work! (Is that even in line with church teaching???) My concern is if I give her a blessed Rosary, what if she throws it away or does something else sacrilegious? I’d feel responsible. My family’s not Catholic and she’s a bit anti-religion in general and into new-agey beliefs (though her boyfriend’s upbringing is culturally Catholic just a little bit). (In her words, her boyfriend prays “when it’s appropriate to do so.”) I’m not sure if she knows what a Rosary is exactly much less how to pray it or its sacredness.

I would probably not give her a rosary to begin with. If you must, don’t give a blessed one. Give an unblessed one and say oh you can get it blessed by a priest.

3 Likes

good point! :wink: Thanks! Although I’d like to ask, why not give a rosary? It would be part of the gift, not the whole gift…

Well if part of the gift it might be okay. This is all my opinion, of course. I just don’t know if, given she’s not really religious, giving a rosary is a good gift.

2 Likes

Sometimes that is sowing a seed. If you think the person would be appreciative rather than irritated, then give away!
It can’t hurt, can it? Maybe she will be moved to learn more about Christianity.

Thank you for the input! You have good points. I guess the main reason I’m doing it is because of a recent experience that happened in prayer that made me think she might be open to the idea of praying if she had a good reason to. Then totally unrelated, I happened to be praying and I know some people might automatically jump on me and say I’m crazy or imagining things, but I FELT Mary prompting to give her one which makes me think that anything that happens, it will be okay. I just wanted to get some opinions to have my bases covered :slight_smile:

Unless you know this person well enough that she’d not be bothered by receiving a religious item, I’d advise caution. You may not consider it a religious push but she very well might and not appreciate it. People outside the faith often don’t like religious gifts and some don’t mind at all and would like it. If you know she’d like it, then give her one. If you don’t know how she’d feel, I’d not do it.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m not sure about. It can really depend on her mindset in the moment. If you were curious, I did mention in another reply that I had a recent experience in prayer involving her that made me think there was a tiny chance she could be open to praying. Just a sliver. But it could also go the other way where she’d be put off…

1 Like

Wow all these comments are great! Great points! Thank you! But now I’m more conflicted…Do you have any ideas on how to evangelize when it comes to encouraging her to pray?

1 Like

Since you aren’t sure, I wouldn’t do it. The last thing you’d want is to do something that would push her away, right? If you come to a moment where she’d like to learn a catholic prayer, that would be a perfect time to pull out your beads and show her the Hail, Mary…THEN, if she liked it, you could purchase one for her…you needn’t even wait for an occasion. But, until any of that happens, you are taking a huge risk needlessly, in my opinion.

3 Likes

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:. No. I’m not religious. That’s why I wanted you to really think this over. Often, religious people don’t understand how they’re perceived. It’s hit or miss…sometimes it greatly offends them, some times it’s confusion and sometimes they’ll like it. Until you know which, I’d wait!

2 Likes

I think the only point I’d like to add (not to add more confusion, ha ha!) is that even if it’s taken negatively I think God can always use it for good. Before my actual conversion, I went through a period of being generally against religion too. Looking back I can see how even those times led me to Him. God certainly works in mysterious ways a lot of the times! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see. Thank you!

1 Like

No, I also do not think you should give one to her.

The Rosary beads are not something to be given with the hopes that they will convert someone that has no current interest in Catholicism, and it is quite clear there is no interest or knowledge on her part.

Save the idea for “someday” and find something else to give as a gift.

If you think it is likely that she will do something sacrilegious then maybe you should give her something else.
Otherwise I think it would be really nice if you would give her one that is blessed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.