Another QUestion About Location & Parishes

The “Catholic at large” thread raised a question in my mind, but I see that it’s been closed.

I get that a person is still considered in their home parish if they live somwhere else but don’t intend to be gone long-term, but I wonder how that affects college students.

I plan to move out-of-state for college in a year or two, and be gone for 2-3 years, taking my son with me. He will be 5 or 6, so will need to be in faith formation and preparing for confirmation, so does that mean I should change parishes to accomodate that when I get to Chicago, even though I only plan to leave there for 2-3 years and will most likely either return to North Carolina or elsewhere on the mid-Atlantic?

Because you have a son, yes. Unless you college has a Chapel with Child Faith Formation classes

Your residence in Chicago would qualify as a quasi-domicile, by which (presuming the archdiocesan territory is completely divided into parishes) you will acwuire a proper pastor and parish. The care for your soul and your son’s soul will fall to this pastor while you are resident there, and you may entrust his faith formation to that parish’s program(s).

Can. 102 §1. Domicile is acquired by that residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese, which either is joined with the intention of remaining there permanently unless called away or has been protracted for five complete years.
§2. Quasi-domicile is acquired by residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese, which either is joined with the intention of remaining there for at least three months unless called away or has in fact been protracted for three months.

Can. 107 §1. Through both domicile and quasi-domicile, each person acquires his or her pastor and ordinary.

tee
Not A Canon Lawyer

I agree with Tee. (Hey, that should be a bumper sticker. :p)

Certainly feel free to register with the parish in your new “quasi-domicile”. You seem not certain as to your projected future location. I know a lot of people (myself included) who ended up making a much longer stay at their alma mater than originally planned. :o

Be sure to eat lots of pizza. :slight_smile: (Sorry, I miss Chicago pizza. :o)

Just an FYI, the Archdiocese of Chicago does not confer Confirmation in second grade, at least not across the board. According to their policy, it looks like it may be up to the discretion of the local pastor (if I’m reading it correctly).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.