Another Question About Mortal Sin

I’m really embarassed to ask if I committed a mortal sin for the third time on this forum, but I just came out of confession and I’m freaking out about possibley commiting another one.
So here’s what happened. I was online and I stumbled accross a website for a group (it wasn’t anything inappropriate). When I saw it I wondered if it had any attractive members and as a result I opened up the web page. This was my only reason for doing so. I was not seeking to become sexually aroused by any pictures, nor was my plan to fantasize about anyone. I have no interest in doing either of those and I’ve never had any interest in it. Since the web site didn’t have any pictures I can’t say what I’d have done; most likely I’d have quickly looked through. So did I commit a mortal sin?

Thanks.

1. If you forgot, but received absolution at the end, it’s already forgiven. Just mention it next time if you think it’s necessary or would help.

2. I don’t think it was mortal. It *might *have been mortal if there were a strong chance of there being explicit or otherwise tempting images which would likely lead you to mortal sin, and if you had sufficiently reflected on this fact and went there anyway. But it sounds more like it was a spur of the moment thing with mostly harmless intentions.

Thanks; I probably should clarify that this instance happened after I got home from confession.

Based on this, and other posts of yours, you should seriously talk to your pastor about scrupulosity and get help from him.

I figured. My counsel would be the same.

Thanks; I’ve given some serious thought about taling to my pastor on this. Although, typically it’s not that bad and I’m able to work through it. Right now things are more difficult since I’m able to receive the Eucahrist; I worry more out of fear of desecrating it. In a couple of weeks my scrupulosity should become better. Especially once I becoeme better at discerning if something is a mortal sin. I know the criteria, but I’ve never had it explained. To me there appears to be a lot of room for interpretation. As a result, I tend to assume the worst. Still I agree with you and will talk to my pastor about this.

Room for interpretation = doubtful = NOT a mortal sin. If you’ve committed a mortal sin, you will know it with such certainty that you will be able to swear to God, without any hesitation, that you have committed a mortal sin.

Now I have an ANTI-SCRUPULOSITY QUICK ANSWER, and I commend it to you.

Are you male?

What kind of site was it?

A Dating site?

You might want to think about your mindset if you were just scanning a random site looking for attractive females to look at.

Objectification comes to mind.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

Scrupulosity is not a do it yourself endeavor. Get help from your pastor.

It wasn’t a dating site; it was a site for a religious study group. My intent wasn’t to find a site in order to look at attractive females. I was looking for groups in which I could be involved with. The curiosity as to whether a group had attractive people came up randomly. I don’t know if its relevant but the group I found isn’t one in which i’d join.

Taken from a very reputable book from the 19th century called The Way of Interior Peace by Fr. Lehen, pg. 99:

“To a mortal sin belong three points: 1st. Weighty matter; – a jesting lie, for example or a vain, self-conceited thought, is not sufficient for a mortal sin. 2d. Full knowledge of the evil; that is, the deliberate consciousness that what one does is a mortal sin. This excludes all cases in which the sin proceeds from surprise, or in which the soul is not full master of her powers; as, for example, in half-slumber, and the like. 3d. Full consent of the will to that which the understanding knows to be mortal sin. As long as the consent remains imperfect, or we are conscious of a certain hesitancy, a deferring, or a reproach of conscience in consequence of our neglect in combating the temptation, the sin is only venial.”

I hope this helps.

The age old practice if one struggles with scruples is to have a *regular confessor *who knows one and can thus direct one in such.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.