Another question about the trinity and the sinless nature of Jesus

There is a Bible verse I've read that has troubled me as a believer for quite some time.

"And Jesus said to him, Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God." - Mark 10:18

Some people have used this verse to indicate that Jesus is not God. Also, if Jesus is sinless why is He saying "only God is good"?

[quote="followingtheway, post:1, topic:315205"]
There is a Bible verse I've read that has troubled me as a believer for quite some time.

"And Jesus said to him, Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God." - Mark 10:18

Some people have used this verse to indicate that Jesus is not God. Also, if Jesus is sinless why is He saying "only God is good"?

[/quote]

Couldn't it be interpreted as Christ affirming that he is God? I saw it less as "You call me good, and only God is good; therefore, I am not God." I instead interpreted it as "You call me good, and only God is good; therefore, you think I am (correctly) God."

Just a quick thought.

[/quote]

Couldn't Jesus be saying this from the perspective of his human nature rather than his divinity? Or is Jesus regarded as sinless in his humanity as well?

[quote="meltzerboy, post:3, topic:315205"]
Couldn't Jesus be saying this from the perspective of his human nature rather than his divinity? Or is Jesus regarded as sinless in his humanity as well?

[/quote]

My thoughts,exactly.Let me clarify,I think Jesus was responding from the perspective that the one who called Him good was seeing onlly Christs' human nature....

[/quote]

interestingly, the things that trouble one, give rise to an even greater faith

some non-Christians will pull verses, like the one above, out of context, distort the meaning and, neglecting everything else in the New Testament, will use it to justify their belief

[/quote]

You have to be careful with things like this, because you can't pit verse against verse. You have to look at the Bible as whole as to not take any one verse out of context. Jesus also said that "before Abraham, I AM" and "the Father and I are one", indicating the opposite. I see the question in the verse you pointed to say what the first responder posted, which is that he is asking about their belief.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:3, topic:315205"]

[/quote]

He is sinless in both natures. However, there is a rabbinical turn of phrase being used here. As Pilate questioned Him, asking Him if He was King of the Jews, Jesus answered "You say so" The Pharisee who called Him "good" also said so, and our Lord pointed that out. John the Baptist sent his disciples to ask of Jesus if he was the one. Yet, elsewhere John clearly knew that Jesus was the one. He sent the disciples on a mission to find for themselves. Yet our Lord, in an act of divine Jewishness, did not answer directly, but fed them with food for thought:

Matthew 11:1-6 "When Jesus had done giving instructions to his twelve disciples, he left the place where he was, to teach and preach in their cities. Now John had heard in his prison of Christ’s doings, and he sent two of his disciples to him; Is it thy coming that was foretold, he asked, or are we yet waiting for some other? Jesus answered them, Go and tell John what your own ears and eyes have witnessed; how the blind see, and the lame walk, how the lepers are made clean, and the deaf hear, how the dead are raised to life, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. Blessed is the man who does not lose confidence in me.

Being a good teacher, Jesus didn't just hand out the easy answers.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.