Another question for catholics

Hi All,

I was wondering what your thoughts or CC teachings are on this question.

You know how the CC teaches and you guys proclaim that we(non-catholics) can be saved even though we are not catholic, well my question is:

What exactly does the CC say we(as non-catholics)have to do/believe/feel etc in order to be saved with never stepping into a CC?

This thought popped into my head while I was driving and I thought --Everyone says how NCC can be saved outside the CC but no one has said how(to my knowledge anyway).

Thanks for any insight or answer to my question:thumbsup:

Probably an orthodox teaching on the nature of the Trinity, since that is the central Christian doctrine.

I’m also thinking that ignorance would be a big factor. You can’t be held liable for things you aren’t aware of. Even Trinity, I’m pretty sure. If you’ve responded positively to the imprint of Himself that God places in every man, then you’re probably OK. But if you’ve learned the truth of things, and rejected them even so, then you’re probably getting into trouble.

Everyone has a chance to be saved by responding positvely the what God has writen into the heart of every human.

Along with this teaching comes the warning that if you know the Catholic Church to be what she claims, and you fail to respond, you’re in a heap o’ trouble.

I am in RCIA and asked this question upon starting. I truly believe the CC to be the way…His way. Anyway, everyone will be shown the truth…it’s upon denying the truth once you know it that things get murky.

I believe Mom to be saved because she knew the Church was the way a few months before dying.

Along with this teaching comes the warning that if you know the Catholic Church to be what she claims, and you fail to respond, you’re in a heap o’ trouble.

Great.

:banghead:

Great.

Believe in Christ and be Baptized:thumbsup:

So, the trick is, how many posts can you make here on Catholic Answers as a non-Catholic before you are culpable? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, it is not enough to know that WE claim that the Catholic Church is the true Church in order to be culpable…you must believe that to be the case and still fail to enter in.

However, knowing that we claim it, you have the grave responsibility to investigate this claim thoroughly and with an open mind. Failure to investigate the claim can be a problem.

In a certain sense, Catholics believe that whoever is saved, is saved through the Catholic Church. You can be saved without being a formal member, but you will still be saved by the grace of Christ given through the Church.

Pretty much if you seek God, He will respond. Remember, He is merciful and forgiving.

You can’t be blamed for things you don’t know, or having a hard time accepting what you get from us Catholics. If you live a good life then that will be what you are judged on on the last day.

You have been trained according to the religious tenets that were given to you, just like the Jews, Hindus and Moslems.

Theologically speaking, even the groups I just mentioned will not be abandoned by God because they seek Him and live by His law. (Romans 2:12-16)

Subrosa

This is true. Once you have been exposed, it is now “in your court”. You need to investigate and respond accordingly. It becomes your responsibility.

Sub

And this truly infuriates so many.

Yes, and that is rather sad. It is as though they had a tremendous treasure inside a box in their living room, but they were afraid to open it. I guess Catholics should be making more of an effort to show them the contents of that box, and that it is OK to open!

I can’t agree more " if you know the Catholic Church to be what she claims, and you fail to respond, you’re in a heap o’ trouble"

Mat 8
14 And when Jesus was come into Peter’s house, he saw his wife’s mother laid, and sick of a fever.

15 And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.

Mark 1:1:30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.

Luke 4:38 And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon’s house. And Simon’s wife’s mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her.

1 Tim003:001 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
003:002 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
003:003 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
003:004 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
003:005 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Heb004:012 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Heb4:013 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
004:014 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
004:015 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
004:016 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 John 001:009 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Heb008:012 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

1Tim2:5"For there is one God, and ONE MEDIATOR BETWEEN GOD AND MEN, the man CHRIST JESUS."

“Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth” -Philippians 2:9,10

“Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” -Acts 4:12

“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do…” -Matthew 6:7

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."In Matthew 6:9-13

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” -John 3:16

“He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.” -Mark 7:6-9

“I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.” -Isaiah 42:8

There is a term, Invincible Ignorance, which is key. It refers to ignorance which is not of one’s own particular fault.

It was expressed by Vatican II council that those, who through ignorance, do not know Christ, might be saved at their particular Judgement, when Christ reveals himself, and thus be allowed in at the sorting promised in the book of revelation, or perhaps even at their particular judgement, if the life they lead was one of Christian Virtue despite their ignorance of Christ.

Those who know Christ, but in ignorance not of their own fault, are not part of His Church, might likewise repent upon seeing their error.

We know of specifically only two conditions that put one directly hell bound irrevocably: Rejection of Christ or the Holy Spirit after having accepted one or both, and unrepentant mortal sin.

We’re not certain as to many other conditions, but believe them to be pretty much damned…

Suicides, for one. Willful suicide is self murder, and thus a mortal sin, and usually pretty quick, so not much time to repent before death… but we are permitted hope, even there.

Thus far, only one is known *for sure *to be in Hell: the Devil.

Only a few are known to be in heaven: God, specifically in the trinity; Mary, who was taken upon her death, body and soul, to heaven, and the Catholic Saints and Catholic Martyrs.

Hi All,

Thank you for your answers thus far. :thumbsup: These are the standard answers I have seen from catholics since Ive been on the thread.:slight_smile:

I want to know specifically what a NCC has to even believe to be considered a separated brethren.

One poster said believe and be baptized(Im sure a valid one which we all agree is by the Father/Son/and Holy Ghost). Is this what you believe or is there something else I need to believe or think?:confused:

What about me? I have been researching the CC and still find it to be inaccurate in many areas. Therefore I cannot with good conscience belong to the CC. So where do I stand? Am I doomed or somehow in murky waters?:shrug:

Where does Christ fit into salvation for people who arent even christian?:frowning:

Sadly what I am seeing here is that Christ is missing from the equation-:frowning: I thoght the bible said no one enters into heaven except through ME(Christ). So was Christ lying or maybe it really is just a hard truth that no one really wants to talk about or totally agree with because it sounds so unfair to us humans. :frowning: Im just curious.

Im not trying to be argumantative–just trying to understand what you guys think I (A NCC) has to do to get into heaven without ever belonging to the CC.:thumbsup:

Can you be more specific? This statement is confusing.

Obviously, you have not researched enough. :smiley:
Do not despair, you are not doomed. God is merciful and he knows your heart.

I once heard that at the time of death, the non-Christian/non-believer will see Jesus and have one last chance to believe. Many are saved at the 11th hour. :slight_smile:

How do you figure?

I do not think that you will ever get an answer to that question at these forum. How can any human being (Catholic or non-Catholic) tell someone whether they are going to heaven or not?

Yes you are probably right but I think you could tell me the WAY to getting there. You know what is needed.:wink: After all, isnt that what evandelizing is all about.

A very good analogy is a map.

The Catholic Church has the map to salvation. All other denominations (an or religions) have pieces of the map not the entire map. Some even have the wrong map. So if others make it to heaven, they do so by somehow finding their way without the guidance. It’s a lot easier to get to any destination if the person has the right map and the entire map.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.