Another question from me :)

is it a sin to make sexual jokes?

Ryan, you are posting on CAF because you seem to be looking for answers on how to live a life pleasing to God. I commend that and pray for you.

Ask yourself , “What is the purpose of telling thoses jokes?” :confused:

a. to make fun of another person, race, gender, or sexual
orientation.
b. to use explicit language or graphic descriptions to amuse
others.
c. to act “cool” around your friends or co-workers?
d. to trivialize the beautiful gift of sexuality that God gave us.

Would you be embarrassed to tell these jokes to your mother or grandmother? :blush:

Would your boss at work, female co-workers, or teachers feel confortable with these jokes? :eek:

If what you are doing doesn’t use your God given gifts and talents to glorify Him or live a Christian lifestyle, then why do it? :shrug:

Sexual jokes also lead to impure thoughts. By telling them, you are committing a sin and may be **leading others **to sin.

We live in a culture that has tried to pretend sin does not exist. Instead of going along with that mentality, try to be an example to others as Christ would want you to. You’ll not only fel better and closer to God, but you may also make a difference in someone else’s life.

Just wanted to say that this is an wonderful answer! :clapping:

Again, wonderful answer. However for this, I think we should go so far as to ask, would you tell these jokes to our Lord and Savior? Remember that He resides in all baptized Christians. If you would not say something to Jesus, then there really is no reason to say it at all.

Peace and God bless!

well wat i mean by my question is for example…
Two of youre friends enter a room. Later another friend asks you what theyre doing in there and you tell them theyre having sex when we both clearly know theyre not and i ment it as a joke. x|
I know its not something you should say in front of the lord but wat im trying to figure out is, is it a sin?

I have no authority to give you on your example except for my own opinion, which is that no, it would probably not be a grave sin. Perhaps a venial sin, but I am not sure.

Your conscience tells you that this might be a sin because you are here asking. So go with your conscience and guard your comments next time. Referring to two people having sex as a joke could imply that you condone pre or extra-marital sex, unless your two friends were married. So, I would mention this next time you are in confession but, most importantly, I would curtail any further jokes like this. It’s mainly a sense of virtue and integrity and I would not want someone thinking that I am someone that I am not. We all make mistakes. I sure do in this regard especially since I work in construction where this kind of talk runs rampant. So keep praying and keep up the good work…peace…teachccd :slight_smile:

What about jokes that have a MILD reference to sexuality, and you are telling them just to make another person laugh?

Methinks it would depend on the intent and the language and what “mild” means. Just because we’re Christians doesn’t mean that sexuality is a taboo subject to have an occasional chuckle over.

Why would that ever be a sin? You were joking and it was obvious…

does the same go with cuss words as long as you dont mean it with hate?

I don’t believe that sexual jokes are intrinsically evil. Sexuality is just one aspect of our lives, all are worthy of the occasional joke. :wink:

There was a recent thread about profanity, but after many pages no definintive conclusion was reached. Personally, I think it has a time and a place (although very limited compared to how society uses them now).

The best advice I can give is to follow your own conscience. If you feel like you shouldn’t say something, then you probably shouldn’t say it.

Yes, to your conscience.
With a caution to the scrupulous among us…

*Two of youre friends enter a room. Later another friend asks you what theyre doing in there and you tell them theyre having sex when we both clearly know theyre not and i ment it as a joke. x|
I know its not something you should say in front of the lord but wat im trying to figure out is, is it a sin?
You might want to ask this on the Ask An Apologist forum.

Having said that, I’d say it *could *be a venial sin; what does your conscience say?

And you could have made a clean joke out of it, by answering something like “Riding their motorcycles, of course!”

HTH,
Ruthie

yea if i put it in the wrong column,sry… =\
im new so im not sure how evrything works x)

Think about this, Ryan:

Jesus Christ goes into a room with another friend of yours…would you dare say that they’re in there having sex?

shudder

I hope not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.