Another question on religious vocation - writing?

I feel that writing is something that I do well; I have never tried to publish anything, but I've enjoyed doing it and I would miss it a lot if it wasn't allowed. May a Sister write fantasy fiction if she has free time, or is that inconsistent with her vocation? :p

You should look up the Daughters of St. Paul.

You would have a certain amount of recreation time and you may be able to write in that time. Sisters have hobbies too! If the type of writing you were doing would be inappropriate for a religious then it's probably inappropriate to do anyway!

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:3, topic:284003"]
If the type of writing you were doing would be inappropriate for a religious then it's probably inappropriate to do anyway!

[/quote]

:D Its clean; its just a little silly. For a while I attended a church where fiction was a quick route to sin; I wouldn't expect a Catholic order to view it as sinful, but maybe it might be considered a vanity, like nail polish or something.

I would think it depended on how much time you spent on it. As long as you are sure it wouldn’t take over and be a distraction from your duties it shouldn’t be a problem.

But also don’t get too caught up in things like this. You may think now you’d really want to keep doing it but you might find your duties keep you busy and even though you don’t have the time to write you don’t miss it at all.

I write fanfic, too, but make sure it gives glory to God.

I'm also writing other things as well, but they'd go under human interest, prolly.

When you find your vocation, God will fill every facet of your life. If He wants you to keep writing, He will make a way. Otherwise, it may fall in the category of inordinate affection.

If you want the link for my fanfic, please let me know. It deals w/"Emergency!"

Blessings,
Cloisters

Okay, sounds interesting. :cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.