Another Quirinius Thread

What year was Christ born and is there any reason, besides the Bible, to believe there was a census at that time, led by Quirinius?
A link from another thread says governor in those days could also mean “leading or in charge of” so I suppose Quirinius could have been a leader of some kind, but is txhere any proof of a census then?

Also what year was Christ born? Quirinius was leading military action from 12 BC to 2BC.

What if this is all wrong? Can the Bible be wrong in historical details? In the other thread, they say no, but other times, I’ve read yes.

It’s the thread-- The Inspired Word of God, post #47

The date of Christ’s actual birth is debated. Annually on CAF.

I honestly have never given it, or the man Quirinius a moment’s thought.
And I’m not about to start.
It has no impact on anything in my faith experience.

Peace dear one. :wink:

Opinions vary. Most seem to come down around 3-4 BC. There is a thread on this in Apologetics right now, I think.

and is there any reason, besides the Bible, to believe there was a census at that time, led by Quirinius?
A link from another thread says governor in those days could also mean “leading or in charge of” so I suppose Quirinius could have been a leader of some kind, but is txhere any proof of a census then?

No, I don’t think there is, but I’d like to hear what others may say.

Also what year was Christ born? Quirinius was leading military action from 12 BC to 2BC.

Again, opinions vary. The better event to date His birth is the death of Herod, or at least that is my understanding.

What if this is all wrong?

I don’t think it matters in the least. Why would it?

Can the Bible be wrong in historical details? In the other thread, they say no, but other times, I’ve read yes. It’s the thread-- The Inspired Word of God, post #47

C’mon now, Faith, you are involved in at least a dozen threads on this topic. You know the breadth of opinion. The Church teaches the Bible can contain factual errors, but some Catholics maintain that it cannot. The usual suspects have gone round and round on this. Why do you keep asking the same question. I predict you will get the same answers.

Well stated.

Faith1960

I saw a thread from you just the other day. I participated. it was about prophecy. You really make me work!

So here’s what I think your problem is.

Faith. Yes. Look up and study up on what your name stands for. Faith is a knowing, not a feeling. We all have our doubts every now and then - we’re only human.

What is there to know??

Here what I think:

I think you’re trusting the bible TOO MUCH

And Jesus NOT ENOUGH.

Trust in the person, not in the book.

Fran

It not only can be wrong (from a historical, not a theological) standpoint, they even make note of it in study Bibles. The Quirinius issue has been pointed out in all three of my study Bibles, one of them devotes an entire page to cover it. They will, likewise, point out when generally accepted passages might not be canonical, might be a copyist insertion, etc by noting “the earliest sources do not contain this passage” or something to that effect.

Jesus is the Word made flesh.

The Bible was written by the Holy Spirit. The writers were literally inspired, word for word, by God.

I don’t think the Church has ever taught that the slightest error can be in the Bible (other than errors in translation). I don’t know where the other poster got that from. The Church always taught that the Bible is literally God’s Word - He wrote it. In fact, the Church is where that belief comes from! Protestants wouldn’t believe that if the Church never taught that.

By saying “the Church teaches” do you mean someone in the Church said it or that the Church literally taught that?

From the Catechism
135 “The Sacred Scriptures contain the Word of God and, because they are inspired, they are truly the Word of God” (DV 24).

136 God is the author of Sacred Scripture because he inspired its human authors; he acts in them and by means of them. He thus gives assurance that their writings teach without error his saving truth (cf. DV 11)

The Church does not teach that there can be errors in the Bible. The Church teaches that God literally wrote the Bible.

Atheists argue this census didn’t occur. They also argue that we evolved from germs and that there is no life after death.

If you are having issues with your faith, study prophecy. Message me and I will help you.

I’d like to know how many times the OP is going to pose the question “if the Bible can be wrong?”

How many times does this need to be answered before she accepts it?

You should read my post no. 5.

The O.P. needs to trust Jesus. Not the bible.

Jesus saves us, not the bible.

**For the O.P.

Faith, another idea is for you to concentrate on the CCC. That would be good. Start at the beginning. It’s beautiful!
Fran

Jesus is the Word made flesh. He literally is the Word of God, the Bible, made flesh. This is a great mystery. You should take the Bible very seriously and literally. I just quoted the CCC that said that the Bible was literally written by God.

1 John
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life,a and the life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

It is vitally important for someone to trust the Bible, which is the Word of God.

The Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit. It is vital in our fight against Satan and his angels.

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

It is not good that people are trying to stop people from trusting the Holy Bible. It is the Word of God. It is inerrant. Literally written by God. And the Church does not teach that it is possible for the Bible to have error. The Church has always taught that the Bible is without error.

OP, TRUST THE BIBLE

The Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of John are where I would begin. That seems to be where God had me start. But let Him guide you. Ask Him for His grace.

Also keep this in mind:

111 But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."77

The Holy Spirit gave the Church all of her Doctrine and Dogma. We do not have the complete Truth, but rather the fullness of the Truth (the fullness of God’s Revelation to mankind). The Bible must be read in light of the same Spirit by whom it was written.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a3.htm

You should read the Catechism AND the Holy Bible. Both will help you in your Salvation.

Can you give us a Readers Digest version of what your study Bible says about Quirinius?

It’s those people who insist the Bible is literal, word for word that’s affecting my faith.:shrug:

Then how do YOU explain the inconsistencies? This is a perfect example of what’s bothering me. And I’m not going to believe the Bible is 100% factual when it’s not.
If the Catholic church teaches that, I’d rather join the nearby UCC.

Can you cite something that says the CC teaches the Bible can contain factual errors because according to other Catholics, the CC teaches it can’t.

Thanks Clare.:frowning:

And just curious, why are you letting them affect your faith?

I not letting them, they just are because I don’t know WHO is right. That, and I have OCD and that’s a bad combo, I guess.

Well, tell them very nicely that you’re going with the Catholic interpretation and God bless them for their interest,
And walk away.
You don’t have to defend or debate your beliefs with anyone.
It’s harming you.

But they say the CC teaches the Bible is 100% literal. Can you point me to something that says otherwise?

Buy a Catechism asap.
Here you go:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a3.htm

Also, Please don’t’ listen to non-Catholics who clam to know all about Catholicism.
They don’t.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.