Another Theoretical question

If an Orthodox Christian comes to believe that the Catholic Church is the one true church and if he lives in a place with no near Catholic Churches, can he choose to remain Orthodox?

I imagine he’d have no choice.

If he had no access to the Catholic Church or its priests, he could hardly go through the conversion process. And the GOC has the true sacraments in any case.

ICXC NIKA

No he could not remain a member of an Orthodox Church, but he could receive their sacraments if needed and of course if the EO clergy permitted it (which they likely wouldn’t). So there might not be much practical difference.

1 Like

Correct, they wouldn’t. It wouldn’t make sense to tell the priest “I’m leaving your church. By the way I’d also like to receive communion from your church.”

1 Like

Between the 17th and 19th centuries, thousands upon thousands of Japanese Catholics lived their faith without sacraments or priests. God knows the heart.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.