Answer to Mithraism

I’ve seen atheists say that Christianity is based off of Mithraism, noting that many of the details between Mithra and Christ are the same.

Some of the supposed similarities are born of a virgin (on December 25th), teacher, 12 disciples, known as the “good shepherd,” “the way, the truth and the light.” Died, was buried in a tomb. Resurrected after three days.

Also, many say that Mithras was based on Horus. Horus was born on December 25th under an eastern star, was visited by three wise men, walked on water, and healed the sick.

How do we refute the claim that Christianity is just an evolution of Mithraism or Horus worship?

Such would simply not be the case.

Christianity was born of a encounter with Jesus Christ …his teaching …his death and quite profoundly his resurrection.

Such came from the* event* - the reality. Not from someone’s ideas or myths.

And one can actually find that Mithraism borrowed from Christianity…

Here are some starter articles from Catholic Answers:

catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/exposing-the-mithras-myth

catholic.com/qa/did-christianity-borrow-from-mithraism

Lutheran satire has a really good video on this not everything Lutheran satire does is good but this is called Horus ruins Christmas look it up on YouTube

Looks like research has been done on the Horus connection:

equip.org/article/the-two-babylons/

Hislop taught that Tammuz (whom he says was Nimrod) was born on December 25, and this is the origin of the date on which Christmas is observed. Yet his supposed proof for this is taken out of context. Having taught that Isis and her infant son Horus were the Egyptian version of Semiramis and her son Tammuz, he cites a reference that the son of Isis was born “about the time of the winter solstice.” When we actually look up the reference he gives for this (Wilkin*son’s Ancient Egyptians, vol. 4, 405), the son of Isis who was born “about the time of the winter solstice” was not Horus, her older son, but Harpocrates. The reference also explains this was a premature birth, causing him to be lame, and that the Egyptians celebrated the feast of his mother’s delivery in spring. Taken in context, this has nothing to do with a December celebration or with Christmas as it is known today.

Thanks. I’m glad to see so many writings from the early Church fathers on this as well!

Hi!

Atheists and scholars sometimes pile it up (nonsense) by the barges… yes, it was a cult; yes, it evolved from about 1st to 4th century, (I know nothing about it but what I’ve just glanced on wiki)… and while there might be similarities… here are its main themes:

practised in the Roman Empire from about the 1st to the 4th century

The mysteries were popular in the Roman military

700 examples of the bull-killing scene (tauroctony),

It has been estimated that there would have been at least 680 mithraea in Rome (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

)
…so how does that demonstrate that Christianity evolved/copied some obscured Roman military practice about scenic bull-sacrifice?

Maran atha!

Angel

I’ve seen that video, it’s hysterical! youtu.be/s0-EgjUhRqA

Whoever does these “Lutheran Satire” videos is very clever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.