Answer to Nathanael problem

Let us see what Nathanael was doing before Philip meets him and calls him to go to encounter Jesus.

Among the Israelites there was a great desire and expectation for the Messianic age, the times of the Messiah, the famous millennium, which was an era of peace where people of all the world will be living in peace, there will be no more wars. This will be the millennial reign of the Messiah, when every Jew will be able to seat under the fig tree drinking the fruit of the vain. Micah 4:3-4

Well, what happen is, I imagine, that before Philip found Nethanael, he was going somewhere and was walking dreaming, thinking in the Messianic age and he imagined himself under the fig tree eating the produce of the vine in those beautiful times to come, when suddenly he met Philip who asked Nathanael to come with him because they have found the Messiah of whom Moses, the law and prophets spoke about. And Philip added, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. So Nathanael doubted that anything good could come from Nazareth. It was a little town never mention in the Old Testament and also belonging to Galilee (of the gentiles). Which prophet could come from there? He was not at all impressed by what Philip said, so Philip had to push and say ‘come and see’.

On arriving Jesus told to the others gather there: here is an Israelite without fault, because he knew what he was thinking before Philip met him, and only a good Israelite will desire so much in his heart to have those days of peace to come.
We know that Philip was already with Jesus before he went to look for Nathanael, therefore Jesus was thinking in Nathanael and perceived that he was thinking in the Messianic age and saw what he was imagining.

We know that Jesus could read the thoughts of others (like when he went to the house of the Pharisee who wonder in his hart that if Jesus was a prophet he will know the type of woman who was cleaning his feet with her tears and drying them with her hair and Jesus gave an answer to his thoughts!!! Lk 39:40) also Jesus cured people at a distance, like the servant of the centurion Mt 8:8.

Now when Jesus spoke so well of Nathanael to the others, Nathanael asked Jesus, from where you know me, really as to speak like that of him.
And we know what Jesus answered him: “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”

YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD THE KING OF ISRAEL, Nathanael answered.

You can oppose my imaginations if you have a better one; I am note re-writing Scripture, just giving a new interpretation to a difficult passage.

In the love of Christ,
Gloria

I read someplace that It was a custom to pray under a fig tree. It provided a quiet, isolated place to be alone with God. Nathaniel was praying with God under the tree. Therefore, if Jesus saw him there, Jesus must be God.

Sorry but this is not the answer! And if you said that you read somewhere, is not enough, give a reference. Sorry…If you are talking about a real tree does not make sense the answer of Nethanael. But did you read the post above? Or are you answering without reading? So, may be according to this who ever have seen Nethanael under the tree should be God???
Sorry does not make sense to me what you are saying…

In the love of His word,
Gloria

Some Church Fathers took the “fig tree” figuratively, as in this sermon:
newadvent.org/fathers/160372.htm

I went to see it but if we say that the fig tree is sin, then why the Lord said: here is an Israelite without fault… I love Saint Augustine very much and I thank him what he said here when he was interpreting this passage:** “if we understand it aright”**

I also understood the fig tree figuratively, but with something else, and I am quoting the Bible, Micah to give this interpretation, after all you can not forget that they were all Jews with all the traditions and teachings in their minds.

Micah 4:3-4
“and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more;
4 but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree,”

If you have an objection to my interpretation you have to say what do you see is wrong and tell me please.

Many thanks for the quote,
Gloria

[quote=Gloria de G]On arriving Jesus told to the others gather there: here is an Israelite without fault, because he knew what he was thinking before Philip met him, and only a good Israelite will desire so much in his heart to have those days of peace to come.
[/quote]

Where are you getting this translation? It is very poor.

This is what the D/R translation, and many many more translations make of this passage:

Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him: and he saith of him: Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile.

The important meaning here is “without guile” or sincere. IOW, Nathaniel speaks his mind truly when he says:

And Nathanael said to him: Can any thing of good come from Nazareth?

IOW, Our Lord is using a bit of humor in his praise of Nathaniel. This humor itself is indicative that Jesus heard Nathaniel’s comment even though He wasn’t present.

Otherwise your meditation on this passage is not without merit. :wink:

As AmbroseSJ pointed out, “without fault” is a very poor translation. As Romans 3:23 tells us, all have sinned.

**δόλος **οὐκ ἔστιν what is in bold (dolos) is the Greek word translated by **guile **with several meanings. Here are the main ones:

**lure —

snare — **

These are the first meanings of the word and then dictionary says:

hence craft, deceit, guile

and since the next two words in the Greek mean “is not” or “there is not” , then we should use the negative. Now if you notice I did not put inverted commas in the translation because the word “fault” I thought was covering guile, which I found a more difficult word to understand. But may be I should have left deceit. (Sorry, English is not my language, but I do not think that makes that difference what you are saying that the meaning I gave, since guile is a crafty behavior, but again do not listen to me for the reason of the language problem).

All together, I do not think the over all interpretation is changed.

Sorry, I can not understand what do you mean here?

Many thanks…

In the love of Christ,
Gloria

Sorry I answered to this in the post # 8

I hope you are going to forgive me for this, but change the word and my argument still stands.

Many thanks,
Gloria

[size=]sorry to everyone, here we should read decit[/size]

Sorry again,
Gloria

Originally Posted by AmbroseSJ
IOW, Our Lord is using a bit of humor in his praise of Nathaniel. This humor itself is indicative that Jesus heard Nathaniel’s comment even though He wasn’t present.

[quote=Gloria de G]Sorry, I can not understand what do you mean here?

[/quote]

What don’t you understand?

You just blew my mind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.