Answered prayer personal revelation

a few different christian prayer groups have the understanding that – answered prayer – is personal revelation-- revealed–

1 cor 14-22-27

1… the Lord showed me this–

2… or the Lord said this

24 But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25 and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

but when i go to catholic prayer groups and ask them - how has God answered - their prayer-- i get confusing looks–

i have had family – tell me well i have been praying 4 you— and my reply iis

Well what did God tell you??

it seems to confuse my catholic family – that they can get an answer?

Hey bro,

On the one hand, I agree that there are Catholics who lack a “listening prayer” to Jesus. Their prayer seems to consist of reciting written prayers without an ear for God and His voice. They seem to not appreciate the personal Revelation.

But there is equally a non Catholic Spirit which hears and believes things which are not from God. This tends to happen to them because they are eager to seek personal revelation and not humble enough to accept the Universal Revelation.

The simple way to understand this is that an approved public or private revelation is approved for its orthodoxy and truth. A private revelation can be the whole truth, truth wrapped in a lie, a lie wrapped in truth, a big plate of truth with a side dish of a like, any possibility that the human mind is capable of.

The trouble with the more private revelations is that there is so much room for self-deception, deception, mental illness, confusion. Can’t you see why the Church and it’s people would be cautious?

Google “Private and Public Revelation Catholic” and read a little more to understand.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.