Answered Prayers

I just want to say that we must always be ready to accept and be joyful when God answers a prayer. Glory be to God! He knows exactly what is most effective for me.

For several months now I’ve been praying that I may become more humble since I’m a proud and sometimes contemptuous person. I see this flaw in myself and have always despised it, praying to learn humility as Christ is.

My prayers were put in motion due to a dream I had one night where a “seer” woman that I do not know took me aside and told me " You will have a very difficult life if you don’t practice humility" This started the ball rolling because although it might have only been a dream, I was given a gift through dreaming since I’ve been very young, and I usually know which ones to take seriously. In other words, yes, “I see dead people” LOL! I also am given messages/visions of God or our Lady through dreams. No this isn’t an every day occurence… only occurence on a “need to know basis”

For several years now, I’ve been suffering with joint pain and inflamation which would travel from one joint to another, as well as fatigue. Sometimes I would suspect that I had sprained an ankle or wrist… not being able to use my limb or hand or barely being able to walk. Now I understand that this has been going on a long time so maybe my dream was just my subconscience playing with me, but I know the difference between regular dreaming and what I call “message dreaming”… they just feel so different when you wake up (for me anyway).

The answer to my prayers for humility is that I have just been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. For this past year I’ve been offering my pain for the conversion of souls or other intentions, and I will certainly continue to do so. Am I afraid of the long term effects of RA? most definitely, but that’s another prayer intention in the works. I’ve recently been praying that I put more trust in Jesus, that I learn not to doubt and to accept everything He deems that I need for spiritual growth.

My prayers were answered, although I do wish our Lord would have done it with a lighter hand. However, I know that He understands my special needs in growing spiritually… He knows how terribly stubborn I am and that I probably need a heavy hand to move forward.

I saw this “Answered Prayers” forum and decided I must respond. My oldest son was in the Army JAG Corps for over 25 years (for those of you who remember the Vietnam war he had a draft number of 4!!)! As he said, Mom, I always wanted to be Number #1 but this was a lottery I didn’t want to win. At any rate, he retired after 25 years and while he received a pension he needed more money because he had two sons in college. One day I went to the cemetery and visited my husb and’s grave – he died nearly 11 years ago. At any rate, at his grave I told my husband “you have to talk to God,because Michael needs a job” – unbelievably my son called me the next day and told me he had 2 JOB OFFERS!!! How’s that for an answer to prayers???

Hi Loboto,

That was a nice read, although I do feel very sorry for your condition and hope that you soon will recover from RA. Your post reminded me of the importance of the following Prayers.

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

**I asked for strength,
And God gave me difficulties to make me strong;

I asked for wisdom,
And God gave me problems to learn to solve;

I asked for prosperity,
And God gave me brain and brawn to work;

I asked for courage,
And God gave me dangers to overcome;

I asked for love,
And God gave me people to help;

I asked for favors,
And God gave me opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted – I received everything I needed.
My prayer has been answered!**

There are also these folloing quotes

What we are is God’s gift to us. What we become is our gift to God. Eleanor Powell.

God allows us to experience the low points of life in order to teach us lessons we could not learn in any other way. The way we learn those lessons is not to deny the feelings but to find the meanings underlying them Stanley Lindguist

God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain C.S. Lewis

Barb, how wonderful it is to know that love is still there after we’ve passed on. As Catholics we can be grateful to know and to practice prayer to “dead people” as many non-catholics would say. What a gift we have in that! That was a great story!!

LumenGent, thank you so much for those prayers and quotes. I’ve a folder on my desktop for special quotes and prayers and these are most definitely getting copied and pasted into it :slight_smile:

I find that the more I read these types of things, the more accepting I can become of whatever struggle l go through.

Have you tried to get physical healing through the annointing of the sick or a healing priest? I strongly believe in that. answered prayers are such wonderful gifts.

My diagnosis was only made last Thursday, and yes, I’ve thought about asking for healing. The more I thought about it, the more I’m wanting to let God do what God does best for the meantime. I truly feel that this is for my spiritual benefit as I am a very stiff necked person. For now, I’m tending to want Him to work in me through my illness.

A hint as to my natural character… I often pray thanksgiving prayers to our Lord because** I know **that if He’d have let me be born in a family who’s Jehovah’s Witness or any of the religions that are not “His” I’d have stuck it out. I’m very loyal that way, and knowing the sinner that I am, He let me have Catholic parents to help me grow spiritually and have the benefits of the sacraments and seeing the world with Catholic eyes. I love being Catholic… It sure is different looking at the world through Catholic glasses. Everything is so much more ros[ar]y
:wink:

So, for now, I’ll let this be, and try to grow with it… perhaps later, with much prayer, I’ll ask Jesus whether I’ve grown enough to be allowed a healing.

That is probably one of the best answers I could have imagined. I will pray for you. God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.