Answering a Muslim friend about a Koran passage

A Muslim friend of mine recently asked me how a Catholic would interpret a Koran passage that he received in one of those 9/11 chain e-mails that seem to never stop coming. The verse is as follows:

For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the
lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still
more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah;
and there was peace.

He says that the eagle represents the US, and the son of Arabia represent Saddam Hussein. Therefore, the Koran is predicting the war in Iraq. He’s not sure what book it comes from as he doesn’t have the entire Koran memorized, but says that the chapter and verse is 9:11, which he thinks lends authenticity to his interpretation. I responded that the passage is very vague, and if I were to open a history book I could probably point out a dozen events which could be interpreted to fit the passage.

So how woud any of you explain this to someone using it to disprove your faith? Keep in mind this is a friendly debate, not an attempt at conversion. We generally talk about baseball rather than religion (actually I find the fact that he is a Red Sox fan to be a much greater source of contention). Any ideas?

Hi, I don’t know if it’s in the Quran, I’ve read from it and never came across that. But this is ch. 9 v. 11 (the quran is one book, only seperated by chapters):

“But if they repent, perform the prayer and give Zakaat, then they are you brethren in religion. (In this way) We explain the signs in detail for a people who know.”

Its utterly false.
snopes.com/politics/war/quran911.asp

I would question any friend who claimed to be Muslim and says he got that from an internet email thing that has been discredited over and over and over again AND says he found it in the Koran. That is just silly.

That’s what I figured. It seemed too obvious to actually be true. He’s not extremely religious so I suppose it’s possible that he’s mistaken. Thanks for the replies.

They just count on lots of others not bothering to look it up, and amazingly it works. :frowning:

There is no such verse in the Quran. This is an evangelical myth mafde by idiots for other idiots to believe them. People should get teh Quran and read it instead of listening to Evangelical lies and media.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.