Answering Muslim Questions

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to hear how Roman Catholics would answer the most typical questions and objections raised by Muslims. The reason why I am interested in hearing the Catholic response is because as a Protestant I am aware of the Protestant responses to these same arguments. Here are the first two questions that I would like to see answered from a Catholic believer/apologist:

1. Can you quote any place in the Holy Bible where Jesus says “I am God” or “Worship” in those exact words?

2. What are your strongest Biblical texts proving that Jesus did claim to be God Incarnate?

Any replies to these questions will be much appreciated.

i find it rather strange with a name of answering islam comes on to a Catholic forum and starts to ask questions he is supposed to know if he was to ever answer islam…

as you are a protestant,you should know the differences between our faiths… why do you ask these questions.

or is there some thing else underneath?

im not jumping the gun,i hope you don’t feel like i am doing this…

it just looks very odd indeed for your first post you doing this…
usually you go to the introduction section and tell people a bit about yourself and say your intentions.

btw i have to go out now,ill try to answer later on…

Wow! Is this how I am going to be treated here? If so then please let me know so I can unjoin this forum.

In the first place, what does the differences between our faiths have anything to do with my questions which directly affects BOTH OUR FAITHS? Or are you implying that, unlike Protestants, you deny the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Second, it seems I am going to need to repeat myself since it obviously didn’t sink in the first time when I said it. I am interested in hearing a Catholic response to the typical Muslim objections that are raised by Islamic apologists all the time. In fact, I would even be interested in a book written by a Catholic dealing with the most common Muslim objections against the basic core Christian beliefs held across the board by Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants etc., i.e., beliefs such as the Trinity, the hypostatic union, the inspiration and infallibility of the sacred scriptures etc.

So instead of starting trouble why not actually help by answering my questions which will help me grow in my understanding of not just Catholic beliefs, but the approaches and scriptural evidences that Catholics use to defend those beliefs. I am hear to learn, not to argue since if I wanted to argue I would find a Protestant versus Catholic forum.

Finally, what is wrong with my name?

Catholic teaching is that Muslims like ourselves and Jews worship the one true God. However they do so in a deficient manner and lack the fullness of revealed truth that is available only within the Church and in a progressively less or more diluted fashion in Christianity in general dependent on how far such groups have separated themselves from the Church.

Arguing with Muslim apologist can often be awkward as we are coming from two very different paradigms although I have found there are several Muslim posters here I have managed to dialogue with.

Your name is different. Your claim to be a Protestant, yet your screen name is about Islam is a bit fishy, considering you are brand new here. :confused:

Muslims view the Bible as being corrupted, therefore providing citations from the Bible in regards to your questions really won’t do anything.

AnsweringIslam is the name of a well known website which aims to refute common Muslim misunderstandings concerning Christianity. He may have picked his user name due to this or for all we know be associated with that site.

What is fishy about ANSWERING Islam when the name directly ties in with the issue of providing an answer to Islam’s objections against Christianity?

That is exactly why I picked it. In fact, to let the cat out of the bag I am Sam Shamoun, one of the main writers of that site. I have actually seen my name and articles mentioned on a few of the threads, and I am really flattered that anyone would appeal to my writings.

And thank you for understanding.

That’s not answering my questions and doesn’t accurately reflect the Muslim position. Even though the Muslims will say the Holy Bible is corrupt they still believe that the Holy Bible, in its current form, doesn’t support doctrines such as the hypostatic union. So instead of telling me what Muslims believe could you please answer the questions since I want to learn how Roman Catholics respond to these charges. Thank you very much.

A little paranoid, aren’t we? This person knows that there are differences between us and the Protestant churches ( Ex, " are you saved" ) and seems to be curious as to our input.

Your first question that Muslims pose is the silliest I find. When approached with this question I first explain to them that their question makes no sense. I explain that they interpret the Bible in a way that is illogical and irrational, when they press me to prove it I use their question back at them: “Name me one Gospel where Christ doesn’t die on the cross and resurrect?” to which they will reply that the Bible is corrupt, proving that their question is flawed.

Isaiah 44:6—Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me.”

Rev 1:17-18
“Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.”

Psalm 9:7-8the LORD abides forever;
He has established His throne for judgment, and He will judge the world in righteousness”

John 5:22 The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son,

1 Samuel 2:6—The LORD kills and makes alive; He brings down to Sheol and raises up.

John 5:25-29—“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.”

Isaiah 42:8—“I am the LORD, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another.”

John 17:5—“Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”

Matthew 11:27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Matthew 18:19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them. "

As a Protestant, I have learned a great deal on this site about some of the differences between Catholic and Protestant views regarding Christianity in general. I appreciate very much the information I have found here because there are so many learned and insightful people who offer simple and inspiring answers to my questions.

I, too, have a lot of questions about how Catholics view Islamic beliefs in certain areas because the Catholic Church has been the longest standing Christian Church in history, Islam only goes back to 600s AD, and their Quran was written by a single man, whose tomb can still be visited today. Our Bible goes back 6000 or so years and was written by many prophets of our one living God.

I know that they consider Jesus to have been a prophet, but not any higher to God than other prophets.

So, do Islamics believe that Muhammed is God? :confused:

Divinity of Jesus Christ Proved from Scripture

The Bible is clear: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1). We know Jesus is the Word because John 1:14 tells us, “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.” God the Father was not made flesh; it was Jesus. Jesus is the Word, the Word is God, therefore Jesus is God.

In Deuteronomy 10:17 and 1 Timothy 6:15, God the Father is called the “Lord of lords,” yet in other New Testament passages this divine title is applied directly to Jesus. In Revelation 17:14 we read, “They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings.” And in Revelation 19:13–16, John sees Jesus “clad in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. . . . On his thigh he has a name inscribed, King of kings and Lord of lords.”

The fact that Jesus is God is indicated in numerous places in the New Testament. John 5:18 states that Jewish leaders sought to kill Jesus “because he not only broke the Sabbath but also called God his Father, making himself equal with God.” Paul also states that Jesus was equal with God (Phil. 2:6). But if Jesus is equal with the Father, and the Father is a God, then Jesus is a God. Since there is only one God, Jesus and the Father must both be one God—one God in at least two persons (the Holy Spirit, of course, is the third person of the Trinity).

The same is shown in John 8:56–59, where Jesus directly claims to be Yahweh (“I AM”). “‘Your father Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day; he saw it and was glad.’ The Jews then said to him, ‘You are not yet fifty years old, and you have seen Abraham?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.’ So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.” Jesus’ audience understood exactly what he was claiming; that is why they picked up rocks to stone him. They considered him to be blaspheming God by claiming to be Yahweh.

The same truth is emphasized elsewhere. Paul stated that we are to live “awaiting our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13). And Peter addressed his second epistle to “those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours in the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 1:1).

Jesus is shown to be God most dramatically when Thomas, finally convinced that Jesus has risen, falls down and exclaims, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

Well hi there Sam and welcome to CAF ~

I’m very much familiar with your work on answering islam dot org website.

My contribution to this thread was this:

answeringmuslims.com/2011/06/where-did-jesus-say-i-am-god-worship-me.html

~

But since you are aware of Acts 17 website, I’m sure you’re read the article. :smiley:

Hi. Welcome to the Forum. Just curious, why do you choose your nick? Because even before you start it seems to be attracting attention already.

The questions asked are quite common among the less intellectual Muslims. They do not have any basis except for trying to have a cheap shot at inflaming. The questions are hypocritical since the Muslims do not believe the Bible verses that do not agree with the Quran. You can’t get anywhere in answering that kind of questions.Bottom line is the Scripture is to be interpreted by its practitioners/believers. It is clear that the Bible points to Jesus as God and man.

In any case just google Biblical verses about Jesus as God, you would find the searched list quite easily there. There are probably some 355 verses that support the concept that Jesus is God.

Something to note with regards to the questions. The Hebrew did not vocalized the name of God, Yahweh. It is too holy. Jesus as a good Jews would probably did the same.

Secondly, for Jesus to prematurely pronounced that he is God would have the undesirable effect as that would be a passport for his condemnation to death for blasphemy. We can note that after an important miracle and revelation like the transfiguration, Jesus would caution his apostles not to tell anybody.

Thirdly, it means nothing for Jesus to simply say he is God because there are many gods but they are not necessary the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. People have to be made to understand the nature of this God first and that can only be complete until after Jesus resurrection from the dead and the ascension, when the full picture of his mission and divinity is made known.

Finally, in answering such questions, it is not a matter of winning the argument but more importantly, how reliable is the Quran which they relied on as true word of God. Which do you choose to be more reliable as God’s word, the Bible or the Quran? So it is basically about one’s choice.

No, they do not.

if this is truley Sam shouly from Acts 17 then lolololol… temper temper… you lost it a little with my reply didn you buddy?ha ha…

i do like your debates with muslims btw… ill asnwer when i get home im on the phone atm…

A while back, I’d say about 2 years ago, Acts17 came on to CAF and started posting threads regarding Christianity/Islam discussions.

So, it is possible the OP is who he claims to be… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated. And yes I am aware of that tract since David Wood is my dear brother and used much of the material which, by God’s grace, we have compiled for our website Answering Islam into a short tract for Christians of various branches to use successfully. Like I said, I really want to hear a comprehensive case from the Catholic perspective since I am trying to learn from all the major branches of Christianity, specifically those who affirm the historic doctrines of the blessed Trinity, the hypostatic union of our blessed Lord etc. I especially want to hear answers which provide a thorough biblical defense of the eternal generation of the Son, as well as the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit, since these aspects are not emphasized as much in the Protestant apologetic materials that I have read in response to Muslims.

And I really do appreciate all the responses that have been given thus far. May our sovereign Triune God richly bless all of you and guide us all into his perfect revealed truth so we can know him more faithfully and love and adore him more passionately.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.