Answers for a new friend part 1

What did Judas do with the blood money he received for betraying Jesus?
• He bought a field (Acts 1: 18)
• He threw all of it into the temple and went away. The priests could not put the blood money into the temple treasury, so they used it to buy a field to bury strangers (Matthew 27:5)
Answer:
This apparent contradiction asks, ‘What did Judas do with the blood money he received for betraying Jesus?’ In Acts 1:18 it is claimed that Judas bought a field. In Matthew 27:5 it was thrown into the Temple from where the priests used it to buy a field. However, upon closer scrutiny it appears one passage is just a summary of the other.
Matthew 27:1-10 describes in detail the events that happened in regard to Judas betrayal of Jesus, and their significance in terms of the fulfillment of the Scriptures. In particular he quotes from the prophet Zechariah 11:12-13 which many think are clarifications of the prophecies found in Jeremiah 19:1-13 and 32:6-9.
In the Acts 1:18-19 passage however, Luke is making a short resume of something that people already knew, as a point of clarification to the speech of Peter, among the believers (the same situation as we found in question number 57 earlier). This is illustrated by the fact that in verse 19 he says, “Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this”. Also it is more than probable that the Gospel record was already being circulated amongst the believers at the time of Luke’s writing. Luke, therefore, was not required to go into detail about the facts of Judas’ death.
Khalfan reply to this:
I am sorry, but I was asking about what he did with the blood money. You said one passage is the summery of the other. Which one is summery of which one? Can you tell me on what basis is that ‘closer scrutiny*’ done? Isn’t that an assumption? In short, the question is who bought the field, Judas or the priests?

Question number 2

Did Herod want to kill John the Baptist?
• Yes (Matthew 14:5)
• No. It was Herodias, the wife of Herod who wanted to kill him. But Herod knew that he was a righteous man and kept him safe (Mark 6:20)
Jesus saw a man sit at the tax collectors office and called him to be his disciple. What was his name?
• Matthew (Matthew 9:9)
• Levi (Mark 2:14; Luke 5:27)
Answer:
The answer to this question is exactly the same as the previous one in that both scriptures are correct. Matthew was also called Levi, as the scriptures here attest.
It is somewhat amusing to hear Mr Ally drawing so much attention to this legitimate custom. In the run-up to a debate in Birmingham, England in February 1998, he felt free to masquerade under an alternative name (Abdul Abu Saffiyah, meaning ‘Abdul, the father of Saffiyah’, his daughter’s name) in order to gain an unfair advantage over Mr Smith, his opponent. By disguising his identity he denied Mr Smith the preparation to which he was entitled. Now here he finds it a contradictory when persons in the 1st century Palestine either use one or the other of their names, a practice which is neither illegal nor duplicitous.
There are perfectly legitimate reasons for using an alternative name. However, in the light of Mr Ally’s unfair and deceitful practice outlined above, there is a ring of hypocrisy to these last two questions raised by him.
Khalfan answer to this:
OK. Since the possibility* (An assumption again) you mentioned remains I agree on that, Even though we don’t have a clear picture. But in the second one, you confirmed that it was Matthew. It was also written by Matthew (9:9). Why he didn’t use like ‘I was sitting at tax collectors office’ or something like that? Are you sure, the Gospels of Matthew is written by Matthew himself or is there any possibility for a second person?

You are correct about the Judas and silver prophecies. I will here quote the verses for convenience:
Mt 27:9-10 says “Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying: And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was prized, whom they prized of the children of Israel. And they gave them unto the** potter’s field**, as the Lord appointed to me.” St. Matthew gives a mixed citation of Jeremiah and Zechariah, referring to it as Jeremiah because he was the major prophet. In a similar vein, Mk 1:2 attributes Mal 3:1 and Isa 40:3 to Isaiah and Rom 9:27 attributes Hos 2:1 and Isa 10:22 to Isaiah.

Zech 11:12-13 says “And I said to them: If it be good in your eyes, bring hither my wages, and if not, be quiet. And they weighed for my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the potter, a handsome price, that I was prized at by them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast them into the house of the Lord to the potter.”

Jeremiah mentions a potter, purchase, Valley of Ennom (Field of Blood), “the blood of innocents,” renaming a place for burial, and the purchasing a field with silver:

Jer 18:1-6: “The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying: Arise, and go down into the potter’s house, and there thou shalt hear My words. And I went down into the potter’s house, and behold he was doing a work on the wheel. And the vessel was broken which he was making of clay with his hands: and turning he made another vessel, as it seemed good in his eyes to make it. Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: Cannot I do with you, as this potter, house of Israel, saith the Lord? behold as clay is in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.”

Jer 19:1-6: “Thus saith the Lord: Go, and take a potter’s earthen bottle, and take of the ancients of the people, and of the ancients of the priests: And go forth into the valley of the son of Ennom, which is by the entry of the earthen gate, and there thou shalt proclaim the words that I shall tell thee. And thou shalt say: Hear the word of the Lord, O ye kings of Juda, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold I will bring an affliction upon this place: so that whosoever shall hear it, his ears shall tingle. Because they have forsaken Me, and have profaned this place: and have sacrificed therein to strange gods, whom neither they nor their fathers knew, nor the kings of Juda: and they have filled this place with the blood of innocents. And they have built the high places of Baalim, to burn their children with fire for a holocaust to Baalim: which I did not command, nor speak of, neither did it once come into My mind. Therefore behold the days come, saith the Lord, that this place shall no more be called Topheth, nor the valley of the son of Ennom, but the valley of slaughter.”

Jer 19:11: “And thou shalt say to them: Thus saith the Lord of hosts: Even so will I break this people, and this city, as the potter’s vessel is broken, which cannot be made whole again: and they shall be buried in Topheth, because there is no other place to bury in.”

Jer 32:6-10: “And Jeremiah said: The word of the Lord came to me, saying: Behold, Hanameel the son of Sellum thy cousin shall come to thee, saying: Buy thee my field, which is in Anathoth, for it is thy right to buy it, being next akin. And Hanameel my uncle’s son came to me, according to the word of the Lord, to the entry of the prison, and said to me: Buy my field, which is in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is thine, and thou art next of kin to possess it. And I understood that this was the word of the Lord. And I bought the field of Hanameel my uncle’s son, that is in Anathoth: and I weighed him the money, seven staters, and ten pieces of silver. And I wrote it in a book and sealed it, and took witnesses: and I weighed him the money in the balances.”

StRaphael,
Thank you very much, I appreciate your input
Dolphinlove

I am sorry, but I was asking about what he did with the blood money. You said one passage is the summery of the other. Which one is summery of which one? Can you tell me on what basis is that ‘closer scrutiny*’ done? Isn’t that an assumption? In short, the question is who bought the field, Judas or the priests?

Question number 2

Did Herod want to kill John the Baptist?
• Yes (Matthew 14:5)
• No. It was Herodias, the wife of Herod who wanted to kill him. But Herod knew that he was a righteous man and kept him safe (Mark 6:20)
Jesus saw a man sit at the tax collectors office and called him to be his disciple. What was his name?
Answer:
The answer to this question is exactly the same as the previous one in that both scriptures are correct. Matthew was also called Levi, as the scriptures here attest.
It is somewhat amusing to hear Mr Ally drawing so much attention to this legitimate custom. In the run-up to a debate in Birmingham, England in February 1998, he felt free to masquerade under an alternative name (Abdul Abu Saffiyah, meaning ‘Abdul, the father of Saffiyah’, his daughter’s name) in order to gain an unfair advantage over Mr Smith, his opponent. By disguising his identity he denied Mr Smith the preparation to which he was entitled. Now here he finds it a contradictory when persons in the 1st century Palestine either use one or the other of their names, a practice which is neither illegal nor duplicitous.
There are perfectly legitimate reasons for using an alternative name. However, in the light of Mr Ally’s unfair and deceitful practice outlined above, there is a ring of hypocrisy to these last two questions raised by him.

OK. Since the possibility* (An assumption again) you mentioned remains I agree on that, Even though we don’t have a clear picture. But in the second one, you confirmed that it was Matthew. It was also written by Matthew (9:9). Why he didn’t use like ‘I was sitting at tax collectors office’ or something like that? Are you sure, the Gospels of Matthew is written by Matthew himself or is there any possibility for a second person?

Some more questions
Is the law of Moses useful?
• Yes. All scripture is… profitable… (2 Timothy 3:16)
• No. . . . A former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness… (Hebrews 7:18)
Was Jesus crucified on the daytime before the Passover meal or the daytime after?
• After (Mark 14:12-17)
• Before. Before the feast of the Passover (John 1) Judas went out at night (John 13:30). The other disciples thought he was going out to buy supplies to prepare for the Passover meal (John 13:29). When Jesus was arrested, the Jews did not enter Pilates judgment hail because they wanted to stay clean to eat the Passover (John 18:28). When the judgment was pronounced against Jesus, it was about the sixth hour on the day of Preparation for the Passover (John 19:14)
Did Jesus pray to The Father to prevent the crucifixion?
• Yes. (Matthew 26:39; Mark 14:36; Luke 22:42)
• No. (John 12:27)
In the gospels which say that Jesus prayed to avoid the cross, how many times did he move away from his disciples to pray?
• Three (Matthew 26:36-46 and Mark 14:32-42)
• One. No opening is left for another two times. (Luke 22:39-46)
When Jesus said My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken Me ? in what language did he speak?
• Hebrew: the words are Eloi, Eloi …(Matthew 27:46)
• Aramaic: the words are Eloi, Eloi … (Mark 15:34)
According to the gospels, what were the last words of Jesus before he died?
• Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit! (Luke 23:46)
• “It is finished” (John 19:30)
Apart from Jesus did anyone else ascend to heaven?
• No (John 3:13)
• Yes. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven (2 Kings 2:11)
At what time of day did the women visit the tomb?
• Toward the dawn (Matthew 28: 1)
• When the sun had risen (Mark 16:2)
A large stone was placed at the entrance of the tomb. Where was the stone when the women arrived?
• They saw that the stone was Rolled back (Mark 16:4) They found the stone rolled away from the tomb (Luke 24:2) They saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb (John 20:1)
• As the women approached, an angel descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and conversed with the women. Matthew made the women witness the spectacular rolling away of the stone (Matthew 28:1-6)
Does God repent?
• Yes. The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King… (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)
• No. God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)
Yes. And the Lord repented that he had made Saul King over Israel (I Samuel 15:35). Notice that the above three quotes are all from the same chapter of the same book! In addition, the Bible shows that God repented on several other occasions:
i. The Lord was sorry that he made man (Genesis 6:6)
ii. And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people (Exodus 32:14).

• What is the possibility for a son can be two years older than his father? It is possible in Bible!!! Check 2 Chronicles 21:20 up to 22:2. Jehoram was 40 year old when died. His son Ahaziah was 42 when became king of Judah.
  • Asa Baasha dead at 24th year of his reign (1 Kings 15:33). But he built up a city called Ramah at 36th year of his reign!!! Check 2 Chronicles 16:1.

Clear Contradictions

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
• God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
• Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)
God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?
• Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)
• Three (I Chronicles 21:12)
When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem? before defeating the Philistines or after?
• After (2 Samuel 5 and 6)
• Before (I Chronicles 13 and 14)
How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?
• Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
• Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)
In what year of King Asa’s reign did Baasha, King of Israel die?
• Twenty-sixth year (I Kings 15:33 - 16:8)
• Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1)
Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?
• Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
• No (Joshua 15:63)
Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?
• Jacob (Matthew 1:16)
• Hell (Luke 3:23)
Who was the father of Shealtiel?
• Jechoniah (Matthew 1:12)
• Neri (Luke 3:27)
Which son of Zerubbabel was an ancestor of Jesus Christ?
• Abiud (Matthew 1: 13)
• Rhesa (Luke 3:27) But the seven sons of Zerubbabel are as follows: i.Meshullam, ii. Hananiah, iii. Hashubah, iv. Ohel, v.Berechiah, vi. Hasadiah, viii. Jushabhesed (I Chronicles 3:19, 20). The names Abiud and Rhesa do not fit in anyway.
Who was the father of Uzziah?
• Joram (Matthew 1:8)
• Amaziah (2 Chronicles 26:1)
Was John the Baptist Elijah who was to come?
• Yes (Matthew II: 14, 17:10-13)
• No (John 1:19-21)
Would Jesus inherit Davids throne?
• Yes. So said the angel (Luke 1:32)
• No, since he is a descendant of Jehoiakim (see Matthew 1: I 1, I Chronicles 3:16). And Jehoiakim was cursed by God so that none of his descendants can sit upon Davids throne (Jeremiah 36:30)
How did Simon Peter find out that Jesus was the Christ?
• By a revelation from heaven (Matthew 16:17)
• His brother Andrew told him (John 1:41)
Where did Jesus first meet Simon Peter and Andrew?
• By the sea of Galilee (Matthew 4:18-22)
• On the banks of river Jordan (John 1:42). After that, Jesus decided to go to Galilee (John 1:43)
When Jesus met Jairus was Jairus daughter already dead?
• Yes. Matthew 9:18 quotes him as saying, My daughter has just died.
• No. Mark 5:23 quotes him as saying, My little daughter is at the point of death.
Did Jesus allow his disciples to keep a staff on their journey?
• Yes (Mark 6:8)
• No (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3)
Did Herod think that Jesus was John the Baptist?
• Yes (Matthew 14:2; Mark 6:16)
• No (Luke 9:9)
Did John the Baptist recognize Jesus before his baptism?
• Yes (Matthew 3:13-14)
• No (John 1:32,33)
Did John the Baptist recognize Jesus after his baptism?
• Yes (John 1:32, 33)
• No (Matthew 11:2)
According to the Gospel of John, what did Jesus say about bearing his own witness?
• If I bear witness to myself, my testimony is not true (John 5:3 1)
• Even if I do bear witness to myself, my testimony is true (John 8:14)
Did Judas kiss Jesus?
• Yes (Matthew 26:48-50)
• No. Judas could not get close enough to Jesus to kiss him (John 18:3-12)
What did Jesus say about Peters denial?
• The cock will not crow till you have denied me three times (John 13:38)
• Before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times (Mark 14:30) . When the cock crowed once, the three denials were not yet complete (see Mark 14:72). Therefore prediction (a) failed.
Did Jesus bear his own cross?
• Yes (John 19:17)
• No (Matthew 27:31-32)
Did Jesus die before the curtain of the temple was torn?
• Yes (Matthew 27:50-51; Mark lS:37-38)
• No. After the curtain was torn, then Jesus crying with a loud voice, said, Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit! And having said this he breathed his last (Luke 23:45-46)
Where was Jesus at the sixth hour on the day of the crucifixion?
• On the cross (Mark 15:23)
• In Pilates court (John 19:14)
Did Jesus ascend to Paradise the same day of the crucifixion?
• Yes. He said to the thief who defended him, Today you will be with me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)
• No. He said to Mary Magdelene two days later, I have not yet ascended to the Father (John 20:17)
When Paul was on the road to Damascus he saw a light and heard a voice. Did those who were with him hear the voice?
• Yes (Acts9:7)
• No (Acts22:9)
When Paul saw the light he fell to the ground. Did his traveling companions also fall to the ground?
• Yes (Acts 26:14)
• No (Acts 9:7)
Did the voice spell out on the spot what Pauls duties were to be?
• Yes (Acts 26:16-18)
• No. The voice commanded Paul to go into the city of Damascus and there he will be told what he must do. (Acts9:7;22: 10)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.