Answers from an Orthodox Jew

One further important difference is that the wearing of kippahs (skullcaps) and tallit (prayer shawls) by men is not required. Some Reform synagogues do encourage or even require this, however, probably in an effort to look more like a Jewish service than a Protestant one (half-joking here). In recent years, there has been a certain return to more orthodoxy among Reform services and other practices, though of course not really on par with Orthodox or even Conservative practices.

Respectfully Thank you Moses613. Got that from other sources teaching 6-6 pm, is why I put Sat 6pm ending, asking is this true? Thank you for correcting me!! Peace :slight_smile:

A “generic day” is sometimes said to begin or end at 6pm for convenience, because that’s about when the sun rises and sets during the equinoxes when daylight is exactly 12 hours long. But that’s only two days out of the year. And even on the equinox, we would wait until nightfall, so think 6pm Friday until 6:42 - 7:12 PM Saturday.

Mmm… challah bread! :yum:

And it comes in whole wheat variety as well as challah rolls!

I don’t know how I feel about whole wheat challah. Does it taste differently than the usual kind? :thinking:

Do Jewish families have the same issues with their children falling away from the faith as young adults and then perhaps returning when they start to marry and have families? Are the “nones” as much of an issue?

I’ll let Moses more fully answer this question from an Orthodox Jewish viewpoint; but the short answer is yes, there are such problems involving losing one’s faith, and I believe these issues exist in all Jewish denominations.

A little different taste but just as good.

Too bad…you’d like to think that someone has this figured out. It seems like a smaller community might have special insights.

People lose their faith for a variety of reasons. My wife’s late grandfather was nominally Jewish but he believed Judaism, Christianity and all other faiths were essentially nonsense based on tribalistic rituals compouned with surviving mixtures of myths and outdated social customs. He firmly believe that this life is all there is and when we die were simply a machine that has broken down and you dispose of the remnants.

Oh, for the days when I could go to a Jewish bakery or a grocery store and buy challah. :cry:
I tried to make it once :rofl: It never rose.

Maybe I should try again.

Where I live in New York (Queens), the challah is baked in Brooklyn. Now you can’t get more authentic than that. But please try again and send me a slice from your neck of the woods!

You can buy it in the East End of London in Jewish and non-Jewish bakers as it is quite a popular bread.

The 2nd largest city in Ireland, where I live now, had to close its only synagogue 2 years ago because it could no longer form a minyan. I think there might be one Jewish bakery in Dublin, but it is several hours away from me. I’ll have to try again to make my own Challah, and if it turns out, I’ll be sending you a slice @meltzerboy2! As for @Moses613, I’m definitely envious of your 2 loafs every Shabbat!

Are you from Cork? There was once quite a large Jewish community there. Cork had a Jewish Lord Mayor in the 1970’s at one point for example.

Hi, I don’t live in Cork, but it’s sad that the synagogue closed there back in 2016. From what I can see, there had been 4 active synagogues there, but not any more. Now, as far as I know, there’s only a few Synagogues in Dublin and that’s it. I’m not from Ireland, but I live here now.

(sorry for the edit…I’m having so much trouble with my internet connection)

The Jewish community in Ireland is only about 2 to 3 thousand strong now I believe.

Yes, that’s right. The 2016 census showed there were about 2500 in Ireland, an actual rise of 28% since 2011. Many of the population had immigrated to Israel and America.

Compare that to say Stamford Hill in London where I work where there are around 80,000 Jews or so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.